Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Motul 800 vs. Maxima Formula2k premix? (Any opinions as to which is better?)

Default Re: Motul 800 vs. Maxima Formula2k premix? (Any opinions as to which is better?)

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcoffee View Post
    So just a wild assertion. Got me.
    No, did a lot of testing during my time with Lucas with a lot of different oils. K2, 800, etc. All had same amount of protection at 100:1 as 40:1. Yamalube failed at 24:1 due to a mixing issue, passed from 32-50:1 and failed all tests after. This was ratio testing. So just one of many we do.

I will also add, we did tests using internal combustion, and then also simulated the motor without any combustion (let friction build heat, measure temps, wear, etc.) in both tests, Walmart Supertech outperformed 2R.
    Last edited by EK298; 05-17-2020 at 08:51 PM.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Default Re: Motul 800 vs. Maxima Formula2k premix? (Any opinions as to which is better?)

Quote Originally Posted by EK298 View Post
    No, did a lot of testing during my time with Lucas with a lot of different oils. K2, 800, etc. All had same amount of protection at 100:1 as 40:1. Yamalube failed at 24:1 due to a mixing issue, passed from 32-50:1 and failed all tests after. This was ratio testing. So just one of many we do.

I will also add, we did tests using internal combustion, and then also simulated the motor without any combustion (let friction build heat, measure temps, wear, etc.) in both tests, Walmart Supertech outperformed 2R.
    Why do you say 2r failed, Ive ran bottom ends 5 years on the stuff (32/40 to 1)(still going, but never kept a 2 stroke more than 5 years, usually 2 to 3 years), riding or mxing twice per week and some people (kawasaki people), amazed with full cylinder Nakasil Cross Hairs 2 years down the road.

what did super tech do, that was so much better?
    Last edited by spud786; 05-17-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spud786 View Post
    Why do you say 2r failed, Ive ran bottom ends 5 years on the stuff (32/40 to 1)(still going, but never kept a 2 stroke more than 5 years, usually 2 to 3 years), riding or mxing twice per week and some people (kawasaki people), amazed with full cylinder Nakasil Cross Hairs 2 years down the road.

what did super tech do, that was so much better?
    We had wear tolerances, and heat tolerances. Super tech kept the motor cooler with less wear.

I mentioned Super Tech because 2R and Super Tech were near the bottom of the test results.

Also, these were more “field” related tests. Lab tests I wasn’t involved in and don’t have much info. I for one, prefer more field related tests than lab tests.
    Last edited by EK298; 05-18-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Thanks for the additional detailed technical info EK. And I have to ask, how did the Lucas syn blend compare? I performed well for me but it was not an extended time use.
    Last edited by Irishcoffee; 05-18-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcoffee View Post
    Thanks for the additional detailed technical info EK. And I have to ask, how did the Lucas syn blend compare? I performed well for me but it was not an extended time use.
    It wasn't a top performer, which was the reason for the brand new full synthetic racing oil they've made. That oil is magic.

Around 150 2 stroke oils were tested, basically the oils you would assume would be top performers based on price, were top performers. A surprise to me was PJ1 Goldfire being near the top. I didn't hear much from lab tests, but I did hear Torco GP7 and Amsoil Dominator did very well in the tests they run there.

Quote Originally Posted by EK298 View Post
    We had wear tolerances, and heat tolerances. Super tech kept the motor cooler with less wear.

I mentioned Super Tech because 2R and Super Tech were near the bottom of the test results.

Also, these were more “field” related tests. Lab tests I wasn’t involved in and don’t have much info. I for one, prefer more field related tests than lab tests.
    I know there are certain oils that can make a Huge difference, with protective capabilities.

Like the old Honda Hp line 2 stroke oil, back about 30 years ago, it was very limited, in Comparison to today's Honda HP 2, but HP2 is so thick and sludgy I didnt like it. Yamaha R2 has been known since the 1970's to be a fairly clean and protective rating of oil.

Not saying there arent more protective oils that can be made or cleaner, Ive just not seen a wear issue with Yamalube R, but actually pretty dang good, over long term use.

Now if you could guarantee me, I could run a particular oil and double the service life, of what I got off R2 , Might be a consideration. But normally replaceing 250 piston at 9 month intervals m they have some wear but not severe wear. If they go double or tripple that with same minimal wear, that would raise an eyebrow.

But Im a skeptic, of huge wear differnces with todays oils

Quote Originally Posted by spud786 View Post
    I know there are certain oils that can make a Huge difference, with protective capabilities.

Like the old Honda Hp line 2 stroke oil, back about 30 years ago, it was very limited, in Comparison to today's Honda HP 2, but HP2 is so thick and sludgy I didnt like it. Yamaha R2 has been known since the 1970's to be a fairly clean and protective rating of oil.

Not saying there arent more protective oils that can be made or cleaner, Ive just not seen a wear issue with Yamalube R, but actually pretty dang good, over long term use.

Now if you could guarantee me, I could run a particular oil and double the service life, of what I got off R2 , Might be a consideration. But normally replaceing 250 piston at 9 month intervals m they have some wear but not severe wear. If they go double or tripple that with same minimal wear, that would raise an eyebrow.

But Im a skeptic, of huge wear differnces with todays oils
    Like I said, basically every higher price point oil was a better oil than 2R. A lot of people get defensive over what they use and deem best, but as I said, we tested them all. The only “blend” oils that were near the top were PJ1 Gold and Super M. Super M is probably your best alternative. That is a fantastic oil.

I just started using Super M injector in my 2020 KTM 300 TPI.
    Rocky Mountain ATV didn't have the Maxima K2 injector yet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345