Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest Mountain Engineering (Clutch Lever)

Hybrid View

I purchased several of the pre production Midwest Mountain Engineering Clutch levers last week, both the Brembo Lever and the Magura lever, and had a chance to ride with them this last weekend. My son and I were riding with the Brembo Levers and I installed the Magura lever on a friendís bike for him to try.

The lever is well made and very short and helps to provide plenty room for one and two finger setups. The lever certainly reduces the pull force, a lot, although I have no instruments to measure the actual difference. To me it feels like it lives up to the claims.

I set all of the levers positions up for two finger operation and never noticed any fatigue in my clutch hand. Neither my son nor the friend had problems either. When ask both had nothing but positive comments and when I ask about hand fatigue they just shook their heads and said not an issue at all.

My son rode just over 50 miles in a Turkey Run but my ride was cut short due to a bike related issue not related to the lever. My friend was on a different ride for two days in a different location.

Due to my issues I did not get as much time with the lever as anticipated but was very pleased with the pull action and the extra room provided on the clutch side hand grip.

For you guys looking for a full length lever with a lighter pull, this is not the lever for you. It is just not long enough.

For those of you that like a one or two finger lever this is the ticket. The reduce pull allows for easy operation without the leverage of the full length lever. Adjustments are nice and easy.

Bikes tested:
    09 KTM TR 350 XC-FW (with heaver clutch springs)
    08 KTM 450 EXC
    07 KTM 200 XCW

One note about a comment I saw in one of the post; the feel is not like the loose feel you get with a Rekluse clutch where it feels like the clutch lever is not doing anything. It still have a nice positive feel with plenty of resistance.

user posted image

user posted image
    Stan

2009 250 XC-FW (TR 350), 2008 250 XC-F (TR 320), 2008 450 EXC R (son's ride)
    2009 Ducati Multistrada S, 2003 Aprilia Tuono
    2008 Victory Hammer (Orange, Black and White with lots of bling)
    2007 BMW K1200LT
    LATEST BUILD PROJECT 2006 525 EXC to 613cc for a 2012 run of the TAT

My dog likes strangers; he thinks they taste just like chicken.

If it isn't broken take it apart and find out why.

Why the heck do I have to press #1 for english?

Default Re: Midwest Mountain Engineering (Clutch Lever)

just took both my midwest levers off my 11 300 berg to fit them on my new 13 250 berg both brembo's on both bikes the clutch lever fits no problem, however the lever appears to have changed on the front brake/possibly the master cylinder is there a new lever for this or a way round it ????
    i love these levers

so i'm giving the mme lever another shot. i had taken it off last time around due to me not being able to get it adjusted right.
    this time around, i have it set so that it needs to be pulled almost all the way to the grip to fully disengage. the prior setup, i had it set further out (like how the stock lever was) and after riding a few miles on the trail, i was getting some major clutch slippage. see my previous posts in this thread.
    i have yet to take the bike for a good trail ride yet, just around my property so far. the way i have it set is the head of the allen adjustment is flush with the face of the lever. the screw head adjustment i have pretty close to the nut so that you can wiggle the lever a little bit.
    i hope this setup makes the clutch not slip after riding it through tight technical trails. i won't be riding again till the end of the week/weekend so i'll post up my results after the ride.
    2018 KTM 300 XC
    V Force 4R Reeds
    38mm TMX Mikuni Carb
    Jetting: 440 mj, 43-75 #2, 27.5 pj
    5.0 Slide, New Block Gasket and Needle Valve O ring
    1000 feet asl

so I was able to get out today in the snow with the Midwest clutch lever. everything seemed to work pretty good during the ride. no clutch slippage like the last time. i'll give it a few more rides to see if I really like it but so far so good. its just a little different than the stock lever so I want to give it a few rides to really get used to it.
    mostly I was just using my pointer finger to squeeze the clutch in and I did not have any fatigue during my hour or so ride. maybe that was due to the temps being around 15 degrees (hands were a bit cold at times and had to stop and thaw them out using the exhaust).
    I'll keep you updated...
    2018 KTM 300 XC
    V Force 4R Reeds
    38mm TMX Mikuni Carb
    1000 feet asl

Just ordered up this lever for my Beta 250rr as I got use to the lightness of the new DDS clutch on the Berg.

I like a 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch and it disengaged when I pull it back to my ring finger so I hope this lever wont let me down :P
    20 Beta 300rr
    10 690r Fun bikes
    2017 Isde silver medal
    2014 Silverclass Romaniacs survivor
    Sold
    14/15/16/18 Beta 250rr, 18 300rr
    2013 Te250 Ktberg / 2012 Te250 Fav race bike
    010 Fx450 It was awesome, 09 Fe450, 03 Yz250
    08 Sx250 Woods Convert, 04 Sx200 My true love
    06 yz133 wood convert, 1995 yz125

Hi Leverman

I was happy with my clutch lever on my 2013 350exc, up until the point the set screw moved (even with loctite) and my clutch started to slip like crazy in the middle of the woods. Luckly on of my friends had a stock lever and i could resume riding, i did not have the small allen key at that point.
    I am thinking about modifying the lever setting screw for a in-the-spot setting in case this happens again. Is there any wait to install a longer setting screw, long enough to fit a knob on the left hand side and maybe a spring in between the knob and the pivot block to help with holding the setting? Do you have any ideas on how to mod your lever this way. At the same time, do you have any ideas about reducing the lever travel? I usually use one finger only and find the travel a little too long..... It is manageable but a little shorter travel woulb be nice.

No complains on the brake side, the lever is perfect.

Thanks
    Last edited by jlmg; 01-31-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmg View Post
    I am thinking about modifying the lever At the same time, do you have any ideas about reducing the lever travel? I usually use one finger only and find the travel a little too long..... It is manageable but a little shorter travel would be nice.

That's the main principal behind how the Clever Lever works, i.e. in order to decrease clutch pull effort the leverage ratio is modified and as a result the lever travel is increased.
    TrailBike Sportsmen Adventures (TBSA)

AMA (Life Member)

Rekluse Radius CX eguipped '16 Beta 300RR
    '14 BMW R1200GSW
    '74 Norton Commando

We'll it ain't snake oil

Straight from work to the workshop to see how it feels and I am impressed. I could just about pull the standard with my pinky but with the Midwest it's a lot easier, It makes the Beta clutch feel more like the DDS.

Minor issues are that I like my clutch to he disengaged about 10mm away from bar so this pushes the lever further, it works grand the way it is but if I bent the clutch lever just a little bit it would be even better. Do you think this lever could be bent a little without wrecking it. The lever could be thinner but I'll live with it.

Anyhow great product, worth the 92 bucks to get it to Ireland.
    Last edited by Mxdave; 02-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    20 Beta 300rr
    10 690r Fun bikes
    2017 Isde silver medal
    2014 Silverclass Romaniacs survivor
    Sold
    14/15/16/18 Beta 250rr, 18 300rr
    2013 Te250 Ktberg / 2012 Te250 Fav race bike
    010 Fx450 It was awesome, 09 Fe450, 03 Yz250
    08 Sx250 Woods Convert, 04 Sx200 My true love
    06 yz133 wood convert, 1995 yz125

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Quote Originally Posted by jlmg View Post
    Hi Leverman

I was happy with my clutch lever on my 2013 350exc, up until the point the set screw moved (even with loctite) and my clutch started to slip like crazy in the middle of the woods. Luckly on of my friends had a stock lever and i could resume riding, i did not have the small allen key at that point.
    I am thinking about modifying the lever setting screw for a in-the-spot setting in case this happens again. Is there any wait to install a longer setting screw, long enough to fit a knob on the left hand side and maybe a spring in between the knob and the pivot block to help with holding the setting? Do you have any ideas on how to mod your lever this way. At the same time, do you have any ideas about reducing the lever travel? I usually use one finger only and find the travel a little too long..... It is manageable but a little shorter travel woulb be nice.

No complains on the brake side, the lever is perfect.

Thanks
    For Loctite to fail like that it must be an old bottle. Try using a new bottle. I did not design in a thumb wheel adjuster because I found that I have rarely made any adjustment to the set up over 3 years ago so I never saw a need to make it tool-less adjustable. I don't think there is room for a mechanism anyway. Take a look at it when you have squeezed it to the bar. All the space you see when the lever is open goes away.

Sorry this is not more helpful but give a new bottle of Loctite a shot.

Steve

I'm using silicone to keep the set screw in place. I tried Loctite but that did not want to set up and stay for some reason. I only have a ride on the lever so far so we'll see how it holds up.
    2018 KTM 300 XC
    V Force 4R Reeds
    38mm TMX Mikuni Carb
    1000 feet asl

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast