Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest Mountain Engineering (Clutch Lever)

Userid

I bought one from Steve & bolted it on. I them emailed him as I was unsure about how short it was. He told me to give it a try! I am a believer as it works GREAT!
    The pull is reduced & the engagement is right where it needs to be!
    MJ
    2015 Husky TE300
    2005 ISDE club team member

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

QUOTE (crazybrit @ Oct 10 2010, 07:40 PM)

Question: do both Midwest Mountain Levers (Magura/Brembo) reduce pull by the same %age?

crazybrit,

Both the Brembo and the Magura levers reduce the pull the same amount - 50%

During the design process I measured a few bikes to find out what I could claim as the pull force reduction. The stock Brembo lever pull was about 8 lbs and the Magura was about 7-7.5 lbs. The measurement position on the stock levers were the same distance from the pivot as on the replacement lever.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

QUOTE (Leverman @ Oct 10 2010, 10:39 PM)
    During the design process I measured a few bikes to find out what I could claim as the pull force reduction. The stock Brembo lever pull was about 8 lbs and the Magura was about 7-7.5 lbs. The measurement position on the stock levers were the same distance from the pivot as on the replacement lever.

I'd heard the Brembo was effortless on some of the late model 250 XC4 bikes. Curious what bikes your 7-7.5 and 8lb measurements were from.

Also, where in the classifieds are your listings? If I do an advanced search by username 'leverman' in the classifieds, I get nothing.

If I can expect a 50% pull reduction on my 07 450 EXC Brembo I suppose I should try your Brembo lever first, if it works, sell the used Magura clutch I just bought.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

QUOTE (crazybrit @ Oct 10 2010, 10:49 PM)
    I'd heard the Brembo was effortless on some of the late model 250 XC4 bikes.  Curious what bikes your 7-7.5 and 8lb measurements were from.

Also, where in the classifieds are your listings?  If I do an advanced search by username 'leverman' in the classifieds, I get nothing.

SORRY, YOU WON'T FIND ANY LEVERS FOR SALE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I AM OUT OF STOCK.

The levers I had been selling were the leftover preproduction prototypes that I made to give to Pro level riders for promotional purposes doing the NEPG Enduro Series.

I am working on high volume CNC production programming and have a tolerance control issue to work through. It is taking longer than anticipated. But when this production method works out I will be able to minimize the lever cost and hopefully sell more levers to you guys. I also want to take the time to build up a decent inventory so I never have to say "out of stock" again. I will post their availability in this forum and place a classified ad on this site. If you want to get on a backorder list I will send an e-mail directly to you letting you know of their availability. My e-mail is steve.pohl@midwestme.com.

I have not measured any 4 stroke clutch levers but lately I run around squeezing every clutch lever I can of every bike I see. Street bikes included. Generally the 4 strokes have a harder pull because they have bigger springs in the clutch. Likewise the bigger the bore of the bike (2 or 4 stroke) the harder the pull, for the same reason: More power requires more clutch plate pressure or else you suffer clutch slippage. There is a small safety factor employed by bike manufacturers to over pressure the clutch plates to insure a stock bikes clutch will not slip. You can reduce pull force by putting lighter springs in the clutch basket but the margin of overpressure is small. If you smell burnt clutch oil after a high speed cruse of a mile or two, than your clutch is slipping. You won't be able to tell at slow speeds or while engaging the lower gears unless the slippage is extreme.

The bikes I measured were 2009 250 exc's with the Brembo MC and 2006 or 2007 200 exc's with the Magura. I used a digital fish scale with a fixture clamped to the handlebar. I pulled the lever to the midstroke position. The force reduction my lever provides is independent of anything but the geometry of the lever itself. The force the bike requires is dependent on the spring stiffness in the clutch basket and the ratio of the piston area (diameter) between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. A smaller MC will reduce the pull. I don't know the cylinder specs but my ridding buddy Jerry bought a smaller bore MC for his 200 Magura system which went from somewhere around 10 mm dia. to 9 mm. That would be a 10% reduction in force because the ratio changes by 1/10th.

If you put very slightly lighter springs in the clutch plate (not really necessary or recommended), get the smallest bore MC available and put on my lever you will have the lightest clutch pull on the planet. The lighter springs could contribute a 5% reduction, the MC bore size would contribute 10% reduction and my lever would be 50% on top of that.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

Could you make them to fit the Rekluse LHRB?

I find the pull a little to hard, but mostly the angle of the lever just isn't quite right.
    KTMless.......

Userid

Loving it. Here's a shot overlayed w/ the stock lever...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Userid

Good pictures mnnthbx...... I get to put some real miles on mine this weekend.....
    Like mine so far and I actually moved it in more so I can use 1 finger or 2 as I choose
    07 250 sx converted to off road.
    2006 200xcw... Sold

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I just received mine, thanks Steve! Installed and will try this weekend. Need a pivot bushing, for some reason there wasn't one when I removed the stock lever?? Stock lever has never been off since new..
    13 300 XC
    09 300 XC
    08 300 XC
    06 300 XC-W

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

This sounds very promising. I'll send an email to get added to the back-order notification list. I've been meaning to measure up and compare the piston sizes in an MC off a trials bike (AJP brand) to see if that might work reducing the effort required. Could be a good experiment as well.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

I'd check the floor for the bushing, you would have certainly felt the slop in the lever if it had been missing all along.

Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast