Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest Mountain Engineering (Clutch Lever)

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Ok this thing is great. Hardly could feel the pull! 2 thumbs up!
    13 300 XC
    09 300 XC
    08 300 XC
    06 300 XC-W

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Ordered in late August (slacker) I finally got to ride the Brembo kit, a pre-production unit I think. I am a machinist and really appreciated the details and sturdy appearance. Mine didn't come with a bushing and didn't think much about it, I just reused my stocker bushing. From an earlier Leverman response it sounds like the bushing is supposed to be included??? Like all the other reviews it is quite easy to install and set-up. So back to my ride. I have been practicing for my 3rd endurocross and found a nice place with many boulders, logs, ledges, tractor tires and generally crap to crawl over or hurt my self on. The lever works very well. In the garage it made a good impression, once the engine was running it seems even slightly better. Very normal in it's operation, just a lot lighter. One of the hardest things for me to maintain is a solid grip since endurocross has me always using the clutch to pop or slip or restart or bull dog the bike over something. This lever should help lessen that stress. Auto clutches are nice but I prefer a full manual clutch. This new lever will be there with me on race day.

So my only PERSONAL criticism is the lever shape. I know I'm in the minority and that I earlier stated I like how sturdy it appeared. But I really prefer the narrower cross section of the stock lever. Stock is about 3mm narrower and allows more of the meaty part of my finger tip to hook under the bottom side of the stock lever. I'm 5'8" and would say I have average sized hands and I notice the extra width not when I'm holding the lever in but when I am just covering the lever in anticipation of a clutch need. Also the dog-leg bend is shorter and closer in than the stocker and hits and folds the inside of my grip (resistance). So I will cut the grip in some way to get it to be more compliant. Picky I know, but if the dog-leg were reshaped into a more stock bend it would lessen the grip interference. And the stock-like dog-leg would again allow room for a thumb wheel similar to what comes stock on our Brembo and Magura levers. 2mm allen wrenches can be lost pretty easy in a tool pack. Hardware stores sell plastic caps that snap into cap screws so i may substitute or machine my own thumb wheel in place of the set screw that Leverman is using. And I may re-profile the lever on my own, after all who doesn't like to tinker, right?

Thanks Steve for the quick shipping, great communication, and for making something we can all appreciate.

Scott, Golden,CO.
    2009 250 XC e-start
    2009 250XC-E
    2002 400 EXC
    1984 RZ 350

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

Thanks Scott for those comments. I am glad it is working for you. I have not used an auto clutch other than a trial ride but like you I like the instant control the clutch modulation gives over throttle response.

As to your personal preference: Have fun cutting and hacking till your heartís content. I would love to see what you come up with. The shape was a compromise between my preference for a two finger grip and my buddies desire to be able to go for a three finger grab. You are in good company with your size preference. A couple of the proís would not use it due to the broad blade size. But a lot of other people like it that way and maybe more importantly I do to.

If you position the lever right and get the disengage position adjusted right the dogleg should clear the flange on the grip. The lever does not leave much room for adjustment away from where I designed it to be along the bar with respect to the flange diameter. But you can trim the flange if necessary. It doesnít take much.

The need for thumb wheel adjustment (in my experience) is gone with the hydraulic clutches. I have never needed to adjust mine once I got it into the position I like. I would love to hear from those who need to adjust the clutch frequently, how much and why. Maybe an upgrade to the adjustment screw could be done but I donít see the need or the demand yet.

The instructions included with the packaging say to reuse the stock bushing. I suppose I need to consider including a bushing with the production levers though. If someone were replacing the lever due to wear of the bushing they would be out of luck. As you mentioned everything out there so far is a preproduction prototype and cost me a lot more to have made in low volumes than what I sold them for to you guys. I did not provide a bushing because that was just one more part that would drive up the selling cost; besides there is a perfectly good bushing going to waste from the old lever. Maybe the solution is to separately sell replacement bushings, then you can buy one if it is needed and save the cost if it is not needed.

Good luck with your endurocross racing!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

replacement bushing would be nice, since the stock KTM ones are half the price of the lever!!
    13 300 XC
    09 300 XC
    08 300 XC
    06 300 XC-W

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

QUOTE (Banffboy @ Oct 19 2010, 10:35 AM)
    replacement bushing would be nice, since the stock KTM ones are half the price of the lever!!

Have you seen the prices on the little plastic pin and (ball point pen sized) spring on the Brembo lever frustrated.gif

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Leverman, when do you expect to have more levers in stock??
    15 Adventure R
    12 500 XCW
    10 690 Enduro R
    09 300 XCW
    04 525 EXC
    04 Mini Adventure
    00 520 EXC
    98 300 EXC
    93 300 EXC
    90 250 EXC
    87 YZ 490
    83 YZ 490
    BJEC
    AMA

Userid

Stan (JSS) gave me one of these nifty levers for my Magura. Yesterday, I completed an enduro using the lever for the first time (both first enduro completed and first time using the lever). It really made a huge difference for me. I was able to one finger the clutch for the entire day, which is just not possible for me with the stock clutch, even at a more casual pace on a shorter day. The adjustment is great as well, I was able to dial it in to a great engage/disengage spot that worked well for me.

One big thing I noticed was my ability to hold the clutch in on minor falls. You know those falls where you lose your balance or fall off the bike but are able keep your hand on the clutch? Well most of the time the engine stalls because at the awkward angle to the bike I can't hold the clutch in. With this lever it was so simple to hold it in. Probably saved me about 20 kick starts throughout the day (yeah I fall a bit). Also helped in those instances where you completely fall away from the bike, but the engine stays running because the tire doesn't hit while laying on its side. In those circumstances it was easy to grab the clutch lever while lifting the bike and keep it running with only minimal effort on the clutch lever.

Really nice product!

Thanks!

Lifetime Team KTMTalk bluebike125's Avatar
    Userid

Ok, I want one. Shoot me a PM when you see this if you get the chance!
    NETRA # 2012
    Currently riding....... nothing

It's official, like a referee with a whistle, like an architect with a chisel, like a badge and a pistol.

Userid

QUOTE (JSS @ Aug 30 2010, 10:23 AM)
    I have no instruments to measure the actual difference. To me it feels like it lives up to the claims.

It's not hard to measure clutch pull. You just need a small (cheap) spring scale and maybe a little piece of string. I did it on my 2 300s a while back and posted the results on here. The 06 has stock hydro clutch, the 98 has a hydro conversion. There was a couple pounds difference as I remember.

http://www.carolina.com/product/equipment+...sortby=ourPicks
    The walls a closing in on Trump - for real this time...

06 300 XC-W
    98 300 MX/C (back together and running again)

Userid

QUOTE (dsc-ky @ Nov 1 2010, 08:57 PM)
    QUOTE (JSS @ Aug 30 2010, 10:23 AM)
    I have no instruments to measure the actual difference.  To me it feels like it lives up to the claims.

It's not hard to measure clutch pull. You just need a small (cheap) spring scale and maybe a little piece of string. I did it on my 2 300s a while back and posted the results on here. The 06 has stock hydro clutch, the 98 has a hydro conversion. There was a couple pounds difference as I remember.

http://www.carolina.com/product/equipment+...sortby=ourPicks

I can appreciate the comment on the ease of measuring the pull on the levers. Some of the guys may need the verification but the reality that the lever has a light enough pull and a design that allows me to set up a one finger pull is all I need. I think JimmyC's comments about how easy it is to use it as a one finger all day long says it all.

With that said if anyone decides to confirm the claims I will be interested to see the results.
    Stan

2009 250 XC-FW (TR 350), 2008 250 XC-F (TR 320), 2008 450 EXC R (son's ride)
    2009 Ducati Multistrada S, 2003 Aprilia Tuono
    2008 Victory Hammer (Orange, Black and White with lots of bling)
    2007 BMW K1200LT
    LATEST BUILD PROJECT 2006 525 EXC to 613cc for a 2012 run of the TAT

My dog likes strangers; he thinks they taste just like chicken.

If it isn't broken take it apart and find out why.

Why the heck do I have to press #1 for english?

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast