Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Mountain Engineering (Brake lever prototype testing)

Userid
    Images

So I've had the Midwest Mountain Engineering clutch lever for a while now on both my '08 300xc and my '07 250sx and I couldn't be more pleased. It reduces the clutch pull force by a lot and is a lot easier on my left hand/arm on long rides.

I got the chance to test the new MME brake levers this last weekend with Leverman himself for two days. Steve brought two prototype levers, one was standard brake leverage configuration and the other lever changed the geometry a little to try and make for a more progressive brake feel.

I rely heavily on the front brake to begin with, probably too much, maybe 90% of the time. I've generally been happy with KTM front brakes so I wasn't sure what could be improved on.

Day 1 we ran a loop with the altered geometry. Installation is smooth, I needed the spring, pin, and bolt out of my stock lever to bolt the MME lever up. The brake lever has the same shape as the clutch lever which I like, a little shorter than stock. The angle of the lever has been changed though and is closer to my right hand and is perfect to leave my middle finger on the lever with the rest of my hand on the grip. With the altered brake pull I think it was intended to give more modulation to the brake pull, but it seemed to make the front brake more grabby for some reason. It may just take some getting used to.

I was happier when we switched levers to the one with the standard geometry as stock. With the lever closer to my hand it just makes it easier to have the front brake ready at all times by leaving a finger on it.

Although it's not as huge a difference as the clutch lever is, I give the new brake lever a big thumbs up. I like the shape and I'm a matching kind of guy anyway so it's nice to have both levers the same.

Thanks again Steve for the opportunity to ride with you and the chance to test out a new product! I'll try to add some pictures later to compare the MME lever shape to the stock lever.

'11 350sx-f
    '11 300xc
    '07 250sx
    '04 105sx son #2
    '08 300 XC (sold)
    '03 250 SX (sold)
    '02 453 SX (sold)

'07 TTR125LE (son #1)
    '04 KLX110 (son #2)

Userid

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I call first dibbs on a black one for the Brembo front brakes on my 350. When they are ready of course. :-)
    Keith - Current KTM's: '15 Freeride 250R, '12 350XC, '02 453SX, '04 640 LC4-E.

Userid
    Images

QUOTE (kereams @ Mar 30 2011, 11:27 AM)

I call first dibbs on a black one for the Brembo front brakes on my 350. When they are ready of course. :-)

You need to pm JoeT and see how he likes the new lever on his 350. He wasn't able to make our 2 day ride (family obligations) but he'll be able to ride with the new lever this coming weekend.

I need to test the altered geometry lever (not sure what else to call it... Steve?) more and see if I could get used to it. After the testing Steve had the feeling that he would move forward with the stock geometry for production, but I'm not certain on that.

'11 350sx-f
    '11 300xc
    '07 250sx
    '04 105sx son #2
    '08 300 XC (sold)
    '03 250 SX (sold)
    '02 453 SX (sold)

'07 TTR125LE (son #1)
    '04 KLX110 (son #2)

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

QUOTE (vegasken @ Mar 30 2011, 12:41 PM)
    QUOTE (kereams @ Mar 30 2011, 11:27 AM)

I call first dibbs on a black one for the Brembo front brakes on my 350.  When they are ready of course. :-)

You need to pm JoeT and see how he likes the new lever on his 350. He wasn't able to make our 2 day ride (family obligations) but he'll be able to ride with the new lever this coming weekend.

I need to test the altered geometry lever (not sure what else to call it... Steve?) more and see if I could get used to it. After the testing Steve had the feeling that he would move forward with the stock geometry for production, but I'm not certain on that.

UM, didn't you spend some time on the 350 with the new lever????

The one on my bike is silver so kereams may get the first black one, lol. I, like many I have seen post, worried about the wide profile of the leveer. Just pulling it in the garage, I like it. I am going to annoy my neighbors tonight and play with it a bit.

Stoppies??? I'm going to try.
    KTMless.......

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

I rode it around a bit last night.

This is the normal lever without the reduced pull but, it feels like it is less of a pull than the normal lever. It is a one finger pull with my index finger, I don't know if it is the shape or position but one finger is all that is needed. I really like the shape and it may be the shape that makes it feel like it has less of a pull.

Not surprisingly it didn't make me any better at stoppies crying.gif
    KTMless.......

Userid

If its built like the clutch lever then it has considerably less flex to it. Maybe thats why it feels more powerful.
    Keith - Current KTM's: '15 Freeride 250R, '12 350XC, '02 453SX, '04 640 LC4-E.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

Joe, Ken did spend the whole second half of the day on the 350 and he was very fast too, so I don't think he used the brake lever much.

Ken if you want to refer to the modified geometry as "reduced pull" that would be about the most accurate I can think of...

Steve

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

QUOTE (Leverman @ Mar 31 2011, 05:56 PM)
    Joe, Ken did spend the whole second half of the day on the 350 and he was very fast too, so I don't think he used the brake lever much.

Ken if you want to refer to the modified geometry as "reduced pull" that would be about the most accurate I can think of...

Steve

Yeah I was just pointing out he has an idea of how it works on the 350, I was trying to get the scoop as well.

I have been telling Ken all week he doesn't want a 350 so shhh-it on the ast-fay talk.
    KTMless.......

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

Rode with the standard front brake lever yesterday.

Usually I front brake with my pointer and index finger (birdie). Especially on nasty down hills

Three things.

One- I really really like the shape of the lever.
    Two- It definitely has a reduced pull from the standard lever. It may be do to less flex, it may be do to the shape. I basically only had to use my pointer finger to stop.
    Three- Did I mention that it had a reduced pull? I slide the front in a bunch of corners by locking up the front with my pointer finger. The point is it took the first part of the ride to get used to the extra power of the brake. I know it isn't supposed to be reduced pull but there was more power there and my hand never got tired from braking. I panick pulled with my pointed and index finger once on the ride, instant lockup.

I need to try the real "reduced pull" lever still.

2thumbs.gif
    KTMless.......

Userid

Hi Steve, any updates on the Brake Lever? My clutch lever needs a partner and I know that it will be as good as that!

I am waiting patiently, I can't wait.

Regards,

Siggy
    THAT IS ME IN THE HONDA JERSEY AT AGE TWELVE!

LIVE TO RIDE!
    2008 300 XCW-E PLATED
    2008 250 XCW-E PLATED

2006 KTM 105
    2003 Suzuki RM 65

Member of the:
    Ridge Riders Motorcycle Club
    ECEA
    AMA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast