Thread: Journey to the Promised Land: Part 2 Riding the Alps

Userid

Default Journey to the Promised Land: Part 2 Riding the Alps

Journey to the Promised Land
    **KTM FACTORY TOUR**

Part 2....RIDING THE ALPS
    For Part 1 click this link...

KTM FACTORY TOUR Part 1: The Tour

I feel fortunate to have spent the last 33 years living and working in a rural foothill community in the northern Sierra Nevada mountains of California. The Sierras offer a variety of year round outdoor activities. Riding of nearly every type is within reach from here.

The ALPS however make my Sierras look like small and insignificant mounds in a sand box. What an absolute delight it was to get to ride, and drive the Alps!

Our original itinerary for the trip included renting bikes the day before the KTM factory tour which would have given us an entire day of riding. Unfortunately we were rained out that day (no available rain gear) so instead we switched to a half day of riding the afternoon of the KTM factory tour. Due to the brevity of the ride (not much time to shoot from the bike) many of the following pictures will seem more like vacation pics. Keep in mind all this and so much more can be enjoyed from a bike.

Above on the far right is Gunther, owner operator of Salzburg Biking from whom we rented the bikes. Gunther was very very accommodating and a true fan of the sport himself. Some of the rides Gunther has done are just amazing. I highly recommend Gunther should you wish to rent in the area. Gunther recently wrote to let me know he has significantly expanded his fleet of bikes (I recall he only had 5 or so bikes at the time we were there).

Interestingly as I sat typing this part of my report I received a holiday email greeting from Gunther with the picture below attached. He said it was a difficult day for him as he had to choose between skiing and riding, it looks like he managed to do both....brother what a pinch to be in!

Here is our ride group preparing to leave Gunther's yard. Two up on three bikes, and a chase car.

The bikes...two BMW GS 12's and an 8 GS.

Below at Gunther's shop I am installing a camera on one of the 12's, and next Bahareh my daughter in law, four and a half months pregnant on this ride (I guess that made 3 up on her bike). She did great!

We stopped soon after leaving Gunther's so I could enter some additional data into my GPS and turn it over to the navigator in the chase car. They then became the lead as it was easier for them to add additional stop points requested by the other riders while driving.

Below another stop along the way.

Last edited by mdw; 01-31-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    Mark

RIDING IS MY PASSION..............KTM IS MY RIDE

KTM Factory Tour

BlueRibbon Coalition LifeTime Member

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Default Re: Journey to the Promised Land: Part 2 Riding the Alps

I believe the proper translation for the sign in the left picture below is “Konigs Lake”.........
    The girls however immediately translated it as “Shopping this way->”

Women. (further comment redacted for the protection of the author).

In fairness (self preservation) I must reveal that my wife Jacque is in reality more of a tomboy and doesn't really like shopping. When she does shop she is very fast about it, and I am actually the one that asked her to look for a dress as we were meeting 10 couples in Munich in a few days and were all dressing out in Lederhosen and Dirndl (traditional Bavarian mens and womens attire).

Below are some frame captures from video I shot on the ride that day. A half days ride from Salzburg to Hallstatt and back, with a number of scenic stops in between.

Further below you will find a video with short clips of some of the roads leading up to Hallstatt.

The last picture above is the tunnel leading directly into our destination for this ride, Hallstatt, which as you can see is a beautiful alpine lake community. It's actually more beautiful than the pictures depict. We had a fantastic meal lakeside as the sun began to set.

Below in the first picture are Jacque and I. The goofball right of frame is my eldest Justin. He is with his wife Baha in the next picture. Jacque and I travel rather extensively in Northern California and Nevada. If any on this site ever see us in public or at riding areas please do introduce yourselves, we would love to put some faces to some of the names on KTMTalk. We are nearly always traveling in my white Ford pickup made distinctive by four blue driving lights.

The ride group that day, again two up on three bikes with a chase car.....sans Jacque dentists one and all.
    Wow, that was a beautiful setting to ride up to.

Mark

KTM Factory Tour

Userid

The chase car worked out well as by the time we left Hallstatt it had become very cold and began to look like rain so the girls all rode back in the car. This gave us boys the perfect opportunity to air the bikes out a bit as the road did stay dry. Finally below the perfect day comes to an end as we refuel the bikes to return to Gunther in Salzburg.

We were only able to be on the BMW's this one half day but next time I want to make as much of the trip on bikes as possible. The bikes by the way were simply fantastic. The BMW telelever suspension is amazing and the integrated electronics make riding with a pillion rider easy. I can certainly see why this series is so popular.

We put a lot of miles on our rental car on the trip so I'd like to show you a couple of the riding opportunities we saw while driving also. I don't know about you, but when I am on a bike and I see roads like these coming up on my GPS my heart rate starts going up and I am getting ready for some real fun!

Take a minute with me here now and imagine if you will mile after mile of roads like those below with vistas to match, on a bike you know and trust, all on a crisp autumn day. Wow, it just does not get much better than that! These next two pictures are from the Swiss Alps.

Roads with vistas like these just went on and on and on.

Mark

KTM Factory Tour

Userid

As you can see the Alps provide many many miles of joyous riding, I do hope to return one day and see more on a bike.

I want to thank KTMTalk member P-Schrauber who took the time to draw out a riding route for us on this trip. Unfortunately due to the rain we had to change to just Hallstatt and back, the ride was amazing nevertheless. My only regret for this trip was the absence of my second son Joel and his family. At 18 months his son Luke was just to young for this one.

If done over I would spend more of the time touring on the bikes and would also get a larger group together for the tour. That may have allowed us to see the KTM motor factory also. From what I have been told the motor factory is well worth seeing also.

I rather doubt further enticement for your travel to this region necessary, should it be so however I offer this pictorial closure to my report. Below with the Jungfrau (the highest point in Europe) just out of view to my far left. This is from the Swiss Interlaken area (Murren).

And lastly one of the many beautiful alpine passes we drove through on this trip.
    I believe I can hear it from here.....the Alps beckon.

Below is the European way of saying 'Leaving Mattighofen'.

…..A day to remember for sure, for as you have seen we were living large in capitol letters...
    K-T-M in the morning.....B-M-W at night!

For Part 1 of this post click here.... KTM FACTORY TOUR Part 1: The Tour

Mark
    Last edited by mdw; 01-31-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Mark

KTM Factory Tour

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

simply AWESOME.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Wow!!

Userid

Just wow.... That is some epic country!

Userid

Glad you got this up. Definitely the most beautiful trip I have ever been on. Seemed like each ridge your rode over opened to a vista even more beautiful that the last. I look forward to getting back there someday....

Userid

Ditto to that!!!

Userid

Couldn't sleep last night so I get up and come to the ride reports to see what is new. Then I run across your trip report mdw. Simply Awesome. I remember when you were planning this trip, and had wondered how it went for you and the family.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your trip, it was really neat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast