Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 211

Thread: That annoying stutter

  1. #201

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    Hey Pard, I've been tuning 2 strokes since 1969, and while reading your post my first thought was the pipe. One of the main differences between trials bikes and regular dirt bikes has always been the pipe. The problem for you will be finding a pipe guy who is willing to spend the time it will take to develop a pipe to solve the issue. Sometimes the right design comes quickly, and sometimes it doesn't. I hope you find the answer!

  2.    Sponsored Links




  3. #202

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    Quote Originally Posted by tribey View Post
    Was there a posted up Part Number? or did I miss it.
    This fixed it for me. Part number 16017-1431 needle jet. However, I have not been able to get verification from others whom I assumed tried it. Maybe they did, maybe not. Theory is that the 250 bore in conjunction with a 28mm carb has extreme vacuum. Which makes for a great lugger. However, it vacuums out fuel through the main when only the idle jet should be contributing. Of course, the main can contribute slightly but the extreme vacuum is bleeding into the ventri. The higher needle jet takes the point that air moves across the needle and raises it to a higher point, less effected by the air rushing under the slide. It likely still bleeds but at a later point when the main is supposed to kick in. It fixed mine

  4. #203

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    Thanks. I see the part listed for a Kawasaki KX85 at UK dealers.
    At 27 I might wait for another volunteer to confirm success first, although that stutter is annoying

  5. #204

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    Quote Originally Posted by tribey View Post
    Thanks. I see the part listed for a Kawasaki KX85 at UK dealers.
    At 27 I might wait for another volunteer to confirm success first, although that stutter is annoying
    Yep, I agree, it seems a little bit too good to be true. A while back someone came up with the idea that the problem was due to the slide return spring being too weak, and that a stronger spring would solve the problem. I procured the recommended spring (I think it was a Honda part from memory), fitted it, and found that it made no difference at all.

    If you think about it, the FR250 was in production for three or four years, the criticisms of its running behaviour began to circulate pretty early, so if it could have been solved by simply fitting a Kawasaki KX85 part, I rather suspect that that solution would have been picked up by KTM and implemented.

    Nevertheless I'm more than happy to be proved wrong!!

  6. #205

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    Quote Originally Posted by GDAS24 View Post
    Yep, I agree, it seems a little bit too good to be true. A while back someone came up with the idea that the problem was due to the slide return spring being too weak, and that a stronger spring would solve the problem. I procured the recommended spring (I think it was a Honda part from memory), fitted it, and found that it made no difference at all.

    If you think about it, the FR250 was in production for three or four years, the criticisms of its running behaviour began to circulate pretty early, so if it could have been solved by simply fitting a Kawasaki KX85 part, I rather suspect that that solution would have been picked up by KTM and implemented.

    Nevertheless I'm more than happy to be proved wrong!!
    The slide spring was in regards to a run away engine, diseling that sometimes happens on the freeride. When they hit wot without throttle, that slide is up.

  7. #206

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    For everyone who switched to a single rod carb, did it not make the Stutter go away once dialed in? Meaning, it's not the pipe, reeds, etc. It's the carb. Why does a rod carb work? Because it specifically and only meters the fuel with no jet overlap.

  8. #207
    KTMTalk Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    383
    Images
    2

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    I don't recall much from the Smart Carb other than it was either terrible down low or terrible up high, such that I could never even get past their initial tuning procedure. I tortured myself with many a crappy ride on many an otherwise beautiful and scarce day of my life believing it would "wear in" also per their recommendations, but it never did. I ended up returning it, but I had to argue. Snake oil, I would say - a total POC and waste of time.

    To your question - I could tune my OEM carb to be way better than the Smart Carb at any RPM, any conditions. The Smart Carb offered zero advantages.

    However - the voodoo needle idea is a mere $40 shipped, and almost sounds reasonable, so I bought one. I bought spring too, but never got around to installing it. Check back in a year or two...

    The 4 stroke Freeride is a lot heavier. I bet it rides like a pig side by side with a 2T. It seems to me there is a hole in the market that most in this thread desire - that has yet to be filled.

  9. #208

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    Quote Originally Posted by NBB View Post
    I don't recall much from the Smart Carb other than it was either terrible down low or terrible up high, such that I could never even get past their initial tuning procedure. I tortured myself with many a crappy ride on many an otherwise beautiful and scarce day of my life believing it would "wear in" also per their recommendations, but it never did. I ended up returning it, but I had to argue. Snake oil, I would say - a total POC and waste of time.

    To your question - I could tune my OEM carb to be way better than the Smart Carb at any RPM, any conditions. The Smart Carb offered zero advantages.

    However - the voodoo needle idea is a mere $40 shipped, and almost sounds reasonable, so I bought one. I bought spring too, but never got around to installing it. Check back in a year or two...

    The 4 stroke Freeride is a lot heavier. I bet it rides like a pig side by side with a 2T. It seems to me there is a hole in the market that most in this thread desire - that has yet to be filled.
    I do not like the straight rod of the SC. It, in theory, will never be good at all throttle ranges. Acceptable, maybe, but never right at all. If the carb bore was V shaped, then maybe in theory it would work.

  10. #209

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    This is exactly what I experienced. I have a SC for sale if anyone wants to go that route

  11. #210

    Default Re: That annoying stutter

    Quote Originally Posted by roamer View Post
    This is exactly what I experienced. I have a SC for sale if anyone wants to go that route
    I have one on ebay also. lol
    19 KTM 350exc Kreft Moto RC. Clake two.
    '13 Husaberg FE350 Plated. Kreft Moto. Clake two. TR 390 big bore
    '13 Husaberg FE250 Plated (son's scoot) Kreft Moto. Clake two
    '14 Husqvarna FE250 Plated (wife's low-rider) Kreft Moto Lowered 2.5"
    '17 Freeride 250R Plated (wife's 2nd ride) Lectron
    '17 Freeride 250R Plated (daughter's) Kreft Moto. Clake Pro. Rekluse. Lectron
    and 40 years of other 2 wheeled fun

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •