Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: '17 Mikuni Carb

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default '17 Mikuni Carb

So, what's the squawk on the Mikuni? I haven't seen a thread so maybe it's not that big of a deal, but it seems like a big change to me. I have loads and loads of Keihin stuff. JD needles from multiple bikes, etc. Am I sweating the small stuff here worrying about the new carb?
    '82 PW50, '86 KX 60, '85 YZ 80, '93 RM 80, '95 KX 125, '99 GG 200, '98 GG 250, '01 Husky 125, '02 200 MXC, '03 200 MXC, '04 250 EXC, '04 200 SX, '07 250 XCW, '08 300 XC, '11 300 XC, '14 300 XC, '16 350 XC, ALL GONE. '17 TX300

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: '17 Mikuni Carb

I've been trying to read up what advantages there are of this change. Can't find much but did see one article that said Keihin had stopped producing the PWK forcing KTM to change, however, may be carts and horses as KTM are their biggest carb customer so once they have changed over doesn't leave Keihin much of a market place for the PWK. Keihin are huge developers/suppliers of fuel injection, which Mikuni aren't so maybe they see that as more their future. I've priced the 38mm PWK and the 38mm TMX and the latter is on average ú100 cheaper retail. May be reflected in the price of the new bike? Not I suppose. Be interesting to see other takes on this.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I heard the same as far as no more production. A lot of guys seemed to be worked up over the change. Some of the older Huskys had the Mikuni and I never had issues with it. Unless things have changed with Mikuni I don't think it will be a big deal. Time will tell.

Userid

I've read, quite a few times, from varied sources, that Keihen are ceaseing carb production. Surprising, but, perhaps not, in an era of Postie Bikes coming with EFI......

Like a fair few people, I've had bad experiences with the more recent Mikuni carbs, but, over the years, had great success with Mikuni carbs prior to them.

Perhaps the assumption that the carb has not progressed further from those that quite a few dread, should not be the automatic stance. I can't imagine KTM would put a bad, major performance influencing component such as a carb, on very, Very Important, entirely new, 2ts.

But, then again, I once thought that both Mountinthatgoat, and Orangescrufulusy, were 'normal' human beans - how wrong I was about that!
    user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I wonder if the 2017 YZ 250 will still have a Keihin carburetor?

Userid

I read over the weekend that Keihin is NOT going out of business.
    I'll find the link and post it for reference.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/a...e-in-on-keihin
    Last edited by KTMKim; 05-25-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! What an incredible ride!"
    '14 250XCW
    '05 200EXC
    '01 300MXC
    '84 250MXC
    ...and a few Yamaha IT's
    The United States Constitution ę 1791. All Rights Reserved.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

With this new carb, they speak of less sensitivity to temps/altitude...can anyone speak to this??!!
    2019 YZ250F
    2019 300XC-W

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by KTMKim View Post
    I read over the weekend that Keihin is NOT going out of business.
    I'll find the link and post it for reference.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/a...e-in-on-keihin
    Thanks Kim.
    Going out of business and stopping production of a model are 2 different things entirely. KTM is the last largest OEM buyer of 2T motorcycle carbs and it would seem dumb for a company that is geared up for production not to make a production run. It appears this is simply a cost cutting measure on KTM's part which was my first assumption. It good to hear Keihin carbs and parts will still be around for at least a little while longer. I do expect some form of EFI for our 2T's to be introduced in the next couple years. The only thing putting it on hold now is cost to the consumer. With emission laws kicking in there will be no choice in the matter. Eventually carbs will go the way of buggy whips and dinosaurs. You'll maybe only see carbs on small industrial engines, chain saws, weed whackers, push lawn mowers, etc.

The Mikuni is not a "bad" carb, it is second to Keihin though. My experience with it was decent, for lack of better wording, the Mikuni just doesn't seem to jet quite as nicely as the Keihin. The biggest issue is going to be the lack of information. Keihin needles are well researched and just about everything is known about the codes and needle profiles. I haven't looked recently but I don't think this type of info is available with Mikuni needles, maybe a little but certainly not to the extent of Keihin.
    In the past when other OEM's used or switched to Mikuni the first major mod many riders made is switching to Keihin. IMO this is saying something.
    Last edited by jerseydevil; 05-26-2016 at 04:52 AM.
    '08 200XC
    '07 200XC
    '03 300EXC
    Meteor MC

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by grunkthump View Post
    With this new carb, they speak of less sensitivity to temps/altitude...can anyone speak to this??!!
    there was one article that talked about a metering device, but again no real detail.
    2012 250xc
    2009 KLX351

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Just a Link for bearorso: http://www.offroadforen.de/index.php...-4-Takt-Maico/ He might want to see this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast