Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any CR500 owners?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: Any CR500 owners?

I've owned an 85 and an 89 CR500. The 85 was my first bike at 14 years old(I was a little crazy). I still kick myself for selling the 85. The 85 was already the most brutal of the CR500's, in 86 they started to tame them down because nobody could ride them well. From there, I put a flywheel weight, Rad Valve, Gnarly Pipe, ported & polished, bar guards, etc. At the time, people who had done similar work on the bike reported it was close to 80HP on the dino. I don't think mine was quite 80HP but it had more power than anything else I have ever riden.

I used this bike for everything, I rode at the track, single track, forest roads and of course at the dunes. The dunes here in Northern Colorado aren't very big, in fact they are called sand hills but they still draw a big crowd. That CR500 of mine was undefeated in dune drags, even without a paddle tire. It would smoke even the most built Banche's out there. Just put it in third, rev and dump the clutch. Suspension was lame compared to today's standards but I thought it was a great bike. If I get a big enough garage I may try and find one again!

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid
    Images

Had a 93 " w/ milled head , ported , rad valve and pro circuit pipe , it would climb a tree, it was a ***** to start, and I was tired By the the time I started it , then I bought a 300 w/electric start it lugs up a hill just as good, slavens head and gnarley pipe it Has no flat spots, faster then my diminishing skills these days

Jc Penny Golden Pinto (mini bike) first blood
    Honda trail 70 tame gone
    Harley Z90 ... Biggest pos gone
    Yamaha125mx ....pos gone
    Cr125 Elsinore gone started it all
    Suzuki TM 125 gone ...pos
    Kawasaki H-2 750 gone
    Honda CR250 couple ,one left
    Kawasaki h2 750 gone
    Kawasaki 900 ninja 4 sale
    Ktm 300 Exc 99" rocks gone
    Ktm 400 exc 05" gone
    Ktm 300 exc 94" gone
    Honda CR 500 (the beast) gone
    Maico 400 74" gone
    Maico 250 74" gone
    CZ 400 74" gone
    Husky 500 gone
    Yamaha 360 mx gone
    2011 ktm 300" the new rock star

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by brokedown550 View Post
    had a couple cr5 over the years, mostly for sand riding. newer models is what i prefered. several things are mandatory imo, swap in a 4th and 5th gear set from a 88-91. this shortens up the gaps and helps tremendously in sand. other thing is a strong port job. in stock form the engine is a bit soft and doesnt rev

bearoso thats a nice alumi tank. gonna make one also real soon. on the underside did you use a piece of round pipe cut in half length wise to slip over the frame back bone ?
    I considered doing just that - the right sized tube cut in half, with the inner 'saddle sides' welded to them, but, didn't have the tubing in what I considered a heavy enough gauge. It's a reasonable idea, the 1/2 tube one, but you will have the fun and games of the weld inside the tunnel, if you haven't got a variety of TIG Torches.

I formed the tunnel around a very heavy pipe I had that conveniently matched the size needed to fit nicely around the std CR500 Tank rubbers. The heavy pipe then made the basis of a jig I made to make a few more tanks for paying customers. Very complicated to make, as it very much 'form fits' around the top end and hosing, but it made it possible to reduce the amount of individual parts I used on my own tank, by about 40 pieces. With all the different plates, and inserts / mounts for fuel level indicating hoses, and P clips for hoses and the Mikuni Fuel Pump, there were over 90 something pieces to the tank. A Ridiculous project, basically. And I've stopped doing tanks for others.

Here's some pictures of the nightmare it is :

The weird rosette welds on the 'tunnel' closed up holes that held the tank to the jig - the bigger one relates to a post put in to stop crushing of the top of the tank. All in all, like most prototypes, it's an ugly thing that represented a fair bit of trial and error. I can't find pictures of the much nicer ones I did for a few people.
    Last edited by bearorso; 11-20-2017 at 06:09 AM.
    user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by bearorso View Post
    I considered doing just that - the right sized tube cut in half, with the inner 'saddle sides' welded to them, but, didn't have the tubing in what I considered a heavy enough gauge. It's a reasonable idea, the 1/2 tube one, but you will have the fun and games of the weld inside the tunnel, if you haven't got a variety of TIG Torches.

I formed the tunnel around a very heavy pipe I had that conveniently matched the size needed to fit nicely around the std CR500 Tank rubbers. The heavy pipe then made the basis of a jig I made to make a few more tanks for paying customers. Very complicated to make, as it very much 'form fits' around the top end and hosing, but it made it possible to reduce the amount of individual parts I used on my own tank, by about 40 pieces. With all the different plates, and inserts / mounts for fuel level indicating hoses, and P clips for hoses and the Mikuni Fuel Pump, there were over 90 something pieces to the tank. A Ridiculous project, basically. And I've stopped doing tanks for others.

Here's some pictures of the nightmare it is :

The weird rosette welds on the 'tunnel' closed up holes that held the tank to the jig - the bigger one relates to a post put in to stop crushing of the top of the tank. All in all, like most prototypes, it's an ugly thing that represented a fair bit of trial and error. I can't find pictures of the much nicer ones I did for a few people.
    nice job. most people cant understand the many many hours it takes to cut, fit and weld custom stuff. so far ive only made one fuel tank which was for my atv. it was sort of a trapezoid shape and no where as complex as yours. still it took quit a few hours with mock up using cardboard, cutting the alumi pieces, making a wooden jig, fitting the pieces and tacking it together and welding it all up. welding in the fuel cap bung was hardest mentally for me. I buggered three bungs because the threads kept distorting when I tried to weld it in. eventually I said screw it and bought a large tap to straighten the threads out

Userid

Userid

Userid

This is my 95 cr500
    i still have a few things to do to it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7697F602-93C8-473D-83BF-17425AB984D1.jpg  
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i Ca Plated Single Track Killer. RK TEK equipped
    1995 Honda CR500R
    2018 Polaris 850 XP
    2009 Polaris 550 XP
    2018 Polaris Ranger XP1000 103hp
    2007 Polaris Ranger 700
    1975 Hodaka Road Toad
    1972 Honda Trail 70 4 speed manual clutch
    1971 Arctic Cat Stinger mini bike

Userid
    Images

Mine was fast with a Pro-Circuit exhaust, porting and ignition mods.......but weighing 118 lbs may have been my biggest asset in a drag race!

Userid

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123