Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adventure R, But Where To Start? Which One? What Year?

Default Re: Adventure R, But Where To Start? Which One? What Year?

OP - you're describing a 690 enduro as your ideal bike. 1090 up too much of a street bike for how you describe it.

If you want to ride across the country then do some light offroad when you get there, then 1090 up.
    Current rides:
    19 500EXC
    18 1290SAR
    08 B-King

2.    Sponsored Links

If I were you I'd put a down on the 790 adventure, I havent ridden one yet, but have sat on a couple and it's definitely my next bike. Once you throw a leg over it, it feels like half the size of my 1190 adv.
    Scars, the original tattoo!

95 550mxc
    2012 500 xc-w

Hey, Peak! That's a great tip in the higher displacement continuum. I'll join the crowd and wait to see price, availability, etc.
    Looks to be a gateway ride for more pavement time with plenty of dirt options in between.
    Many thanks to all who replied.
    GUN FREE ZONE is another name for HUMAN GAME PRESERVE.

Guilt Transference Is The Key To Happiness

Some day, I hope to be the man
    my dog thinks I am
    -----------
    2005 KTM 576 EXC Dual Sport
    2001+2007 frame and plastics KTM 200
    2018 Husqvarna FE501 (1st new bike in 40 years!)

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor O. View Post
    The 1090R and 1190R are both great bikes but I would ride them both if you can. Of the two, I prefer the 1090R, as it's better in tighter stuff due to the lower reciprocating mass in the engine.
    Personally I didn't like either of them well enough to justify getting rid of the 990R I already owned when they came out. Not that they aren't epic.. or even better in a lot of quantifiable ways.
    The 990 is more of a thoroughbred for better or worse.
    It feels more like a big dirt bike than the 1190 and 1090. As I said, this is good and bad, you'll feel right at home coming off a dirt bike but you sacrifice road touring ability to a certain degree.
    The 1090 and 1190 both are more smooth and refined and are way better for road work.
    That being said, even the 990 would likely feel like a Cadillac compared to the bike you are on usually
    For info on the 9x0 bikes just go to www.ktm950.info.
    For what I've seen the 1090 and 1190 going for I'd be tempted to add one but neither could replace the 990.
    The 990 just has more heritage and character than both the 1190 and 1090 put together. No machine has made me laugh in my helmet more than my 990R.
    It just hits the spot for me.
    Is there a preferred year model for the 990R. Been looking around, on and off, for one.

The newer and lowest km the better or well kept. They seem to have a very good reliabilty record seen lots with over 100000km.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2667.JPG  

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

I want to turn either my 520 or 500 into an adventure bike (more dirt oriented). How many have gone this way?
    '13 500 EXC
    '02 520 EXC
    96 550 MXC(bought it back)
    84 CR500(sold)
    96 POLARIS 1160 w/162" TRACK
    76 CJ7

I have to agree with the 1090R recommendation. I sold my 990 and bought a carry over 2017. Never looked back. It is a better handling bike than the 990 and just plain fun to ride. Dropped one tooth on the front sprocket and installed a Black Dog skid plate and kickstand relocation kit right out of the gate.

So this thread was started when I bought my 17' 1090 Adventure R (1090AR)
    Anyhoo...My previous bike was a 09' Husky TE610. In my mind the Husky was a large dirbike that can take you places. (to bad it was made in Italy!!)
    After my Husky left me one too many times in the middle of nowhere, and I struggled to find parts for and Italian made Husky, I was ready for a new bike!

I was fooled by KTM promo videos, and pros, like Chris Birch, and Quinn Cody into thinking that the KTM 1090AR is meant for dirt.
    Now I have spent too much money, and continue to spend too much money on my 1090 to make it dirt worthy.
    IMO, KTM has engineered the center of gravity so well on large street bikes to fool riders (Oh...Uh, ME!) into thinking this large street bike is really good off road.
    As long as you don't drop below 5mph it feels like a dirt bike. It feels light and nimble, it really WILL fool you! The second you stop it feels like a 500lbs street bike!!
    That being said, these bikes are great for going places. I can put a passenger and 150lbs of gear on my 1090 and it doesn't really handle any different. It holds 6 gallons of gas (250 mile range) and it will go 75mph down the highway safely without rattling your teeth out.

I just came back from the 19' KTM Rally. I rode in the Ultimate Qualifier, 10 riders qualified in the first day, 6-790AR, 2-1090AR, 1-990AR, 1-950SE.
    The 950SE won the event! I think this had more to do with the riders than the bikes, but afterward there were many 1x90 and 9x0 riders demoing the 790.

Clearly the trend is for KTM to continue to engineer street bikes that give confidence off road, but they are by no means dirt worthy, in performance or in reliability!

My experience with my 17' KTM 1090AR is as follows:
    -Bent the front tubeless rim in the first week, fix: Warp 9 Elite 1.85x21 Front, 2.5x18 Rear built by Woody's Wheel Works.
    -bottomed the suspension constantly off road, fix: suspension 101 .75KG fork springs, 18.8/23KG shock spring and revalve for both (stock fork .65KG, shock 18KG)
    -7200 miles bike left me in Tropic, UT. Valves out of adjustment because of dirt into engine, fix: Rotweiler aftermarket airbox
    -Started getting tank slappers around 10k miles, fix: replaced the stock steering damper with a Scotts Damper.

I think I've got my 1090 dialed in for the riding I like to do. Go places (out of state) offroad.
    Besides I've got too much invested to justify a change, and really, I would pour money into what ever I buy, because it's not really about the right bike, but about riding what you have. And making what you have work for what you want to ride.

I love my bike, KTM twins are really fun to ride! My brother rides a 1200GS, he laughs that my less than 2yr old bike left me in the middle of UT. (Race Ready, Right!)
    But his BMW rides like a sewing machine!!

The Instagram video is hanging down in teh typing box so I apologize for any typos, which I can't see. Following guidance and insight from fellow KTM Talkers I put a down payment on a 2020 790 ADV R, due in DEC. In the mean time I'm watching every 790 R YouTube video I can find and waiting for the day mine arrives. Will pass along insights as we get acquainted.
    GUN FREE ZONE is another name for HUMAN GAME PRESERVE.

Guilt Transference Is The Key To Happiness

Some day, I hope to be the man
    my dog thinks I am
    -----------
    2005 KTM 576 EXC Dual Sport
    2001+2007 frame and plastics KTM 200
    2018 Husqvarna FE501 (1st new bike in 40 years!)

Lifetime Team KTMTalk Tahoerider's Avatar

Hey fellas...I have a '15 1190 Adventure and love the bike. You can get them fairly cheap now compared to the new 1290s. For $8-$9k you get a great ADV bike...but, don't kid yourself, these really are too big and heavy for any real offroad riding. I look at them as street bikes that can also bash over rough pavement and speed bumps and fire roads. The times I've taken mine into the singletrack I just get stressed out about the weight and expense of pitching it onto the rocks.

I will say this though, the 1190 is a great street bike. It's a sport bike, a touring bike, a houligan bike, and can even roost dirt roads...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.targetcam.net
    I am the owner and inventor of the TargetCam. Hit our website for more info. If you are into long range precision shooting and tired of walking downrange to check your targets give us a call, we can help - Keith.

08 250 XC-We - the "Goldilocks" bike...not too tourqey, not too peaky - it's juuuuuuuuuuust right!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7wZRgunRU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12