Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Shell Rotella T Oil Line: 2017 Revised Formula and Clutch Slippage

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: Shell Rotella T Oil Line: 2017 Revised Formula and Clutch Slippage

Quote Originally Posted by nycresearchrat View Post
    Pre-amble: I am a long time user of the "old" Shell Rotella T 15w-40 oil, having used it for 10 years with no issue in 4 different bikes each with a Rekluse clutch. Since the "old" Rotella T was phased out in 2017, I have been using the new Rotella T4 that replaced it in my 2016 300xc. I noticed no performance issue or difference, until a ride last weekend, when I started experiencing high rpm clutch slippage. Disassembly of the clutch and inspection and measurement of the wear pieces (exp disk, steel plates, fiber plates, etc) showed everything well within wear specs-so I was quite perplexed. In talking with the Rekluse tech support line today they mentioned they've "heard" riders using the new formula line are experiencing similar issues to mine, and are no longer recommend Rotella oil. I looked into this and according to the Shell website, Rotella T4 is now JASO MA01 AND MA02 certified, and furthur reading shows the MA02 qualifies as having less friction. KTM owners manual specifies oil at the MA01 standard. I can't seem to find any specs for the "old" Rotella T line to corroborate if it was MA01 only (and not MA02.)

Can anyone confirm the "old" Rotella T specs.

Is anyone experiencing similar slipping issues?

In the interim, I am now actively looking for cheap gearbox oil.

-Scott
    $4.50 Valvoline MC 20/50 at walmart. I have an 1100 hour 500 clutch, works fine

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
    I've been running T4 and T6 in my DR650 and CBR600. Juat purchased a jug of each in the past 2 weeks, both are marked JASO-MA. No issues with T4 in the DR for the past 16,000 miles. No issues with the CBR either, but it's only been in the fleet a few weeks.
    I happened to be in Wal-Mart today and thought i would check the JASO-MA rating of the T4 and T5 and they are not rated as a JASO-MA oil.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Is the rating just something Rotella decided not to pay for? Many times these certifications actually cost money to have. BS like "Certified Organic" just being a tag you can pay for to advertise

Userid
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Axlbundy View Post
    Is the rating just something Rotella decided not to pay for? Many times these certifications actually cost money to have. BS like "Certified Organic" just being a tag you can pay for to advertise
    Yes, it costs to have the rating on the bottle it`s around 100k. For Shell this is chump change, who it hurts is the small company who can pass the test but really cannot afford to pay the 100k for the rating.

The question is was Rotella ever a JASO-MA rated oil? I brought this up a decade ago, a friend now retired was an engineer at Shell and had no knowledge of this JASO-MA rating and said that most likely it was marketing. I was also told that because of all of the pressure from the FED`s to make it a clean diesel oil with the new diesel engines the least of their worries was a JASO-MA cert.

From 2005 to present there has been nine changes to the Rotella formula in order to meet Federal regulations and to sell at a cheap price, also pre 2005 it was rated a HD oil and lost that rating after 2005. Back then i warned of the changes and the changes to come, not one person that i know that was using Rotella back then is using it now as most have learned hard lessons even the aftermarket clutch companies after conversations and actual testing have seen the light.

A new bike today is 10k or more, i cannot wrap around my head that after paying that much coin some go on a search for the cheapest oil for their investment. Any oil is the cheapest item one can buy.

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Axlbundy View Post
    It costs to have the official certification. But what a lot of companies are doing is self-certifying it. Scamsoil started that years ago, and many other oils have picked up on it. You need to look for things like "JASO certified" as opposed to something like "meets JASO specs". The JASO certified ones will usually have the JASO symbol as well. You kind of just need to trust that an un-certified oil "meets" the specs if they claim it does. I'd guess most of them that list it actually do meet the spec, but it would take money to prove them wrong, so I doubt it's checked very often. This is not just a Rotella or Scamsoil thing. Lots of name brand oils with motorcycles on the labels do the same thing.

Rotella T6 still lists the JASO rating (self certified apparently), and the old T3 did also. But it seems the newer T4 and T5 can no longer meet those specs.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    "Home of the free, because of the Brave"
    19 250 TPI, 14 250XCW Six Days, The Torch (06 300XCW KTMtalk magazine bike), 98 125EXC
    Gone: 08 250XCW, 07 200XC, 06 300XCW, 04 250EXC, 03 450EXC, 01 400EXC, 99 250EXC, 98 380MXC, 98 200EXC
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My How-to's, KTM bulletins, etc.
    My KTM picture pages
    Razorback Riders Motorcycle Club
    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
    Wudi Forum

Userid

The T4 I purchased at Walmart in September still shows it. As does the older jug in the cabinet here (early summer).
    Present
    2011 300 XCW Christini conversion
    2013 DR650 for knocking down trees instead of weaving between them

Past
    Lots. Best was a 2005 YZ250 with KTM 250SX parts to make a long-rod engine
    Member Great Lakes Dual Sporters

Userid
    Images

I don't know man...things are gonna get sketchy pretty soon...as of yesterday this is all a I have left. HAHA

There's 2 more oil changes left in the jug to the left also.

Like I mentioned before when this runs out I'll go to Honda GN-4 oil. Friend has been using it for years and swears by it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    Last edited by DonS; 10-14-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    You are what you do when it counts ― John Steakley, Armor

Plank owner, Wyatt's Torch Maintenance Department.

Accept failure as inevitable and it will be.

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
    The T4 I purchased at Walmart in September still shows it. As does the older jug in the cabinet here (early summer).
    Just looked, and I found the same thing. I've got bottles from a case we bought early this year and a case we bought a week ago (we own 4 diesel motors). All say JASO MA.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    "Home of the free, because of the Brave"
    19 250 TPI, 14 250XCW Six Days, The Torch (06 300XCW KTMtalk magazine bike), 98 125EXC
    Gone: 08 250XCW, 07 200XC, 06 300XCW, 04 250EXC, 03 450EXC, 01 400EXC, 99 250EXC, 98 380MXC, 98 200EXC
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My How-to's, KTM bulletins, etc.
    My KTM picture pages
    Razorback Riders Motorcycle Club
    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
    Wudi Forum

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

For kicks, I looked at my jug, bought late last year, has the JASO MA.

I like frequent oil changes, I like the cost of rotella.

Userid
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    Just looked, and I found the same thing. I've got bottles from a case we bought early this year and a case we bought a week ago (we own 4 diesel motors). All say JASO MA.
    That`s concerning. I guess in some areas old jugs are being used? I checked again today at Wal-Mart and none had the JASO MA cert.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast