Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Any riders on KETO?

Default Re: Any riders on KETO?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeWill View Post
    I'm 57. I don't count carbs or care. Meat and vegetables is my diet, with a little cheat here and there. I seldom drink, so that's not a problem. Eat this way and you have to work hard to intake enough calories.

So far this is working well for me (going on 3 years). I don't concern myself with whether or not I am in keto. I was fit before, but more cut now, with more endurance, better resting heart rate, and lower blood pressure. Never "starving" or tired.

Attachment 31101
    So err... what are you doing tomorrow night?

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Keto gentelmen, how much time you need to switch to keto? How do you know you 'switched'? I would like to try it for 5 hours hard enduros next year. I am now from 10 days on kind of keto diet to try it out, but do not feel any change
    500 EXC 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tujacov View Post
    Keto gentelmen, how much time you need to switch to keto? How do you know you 'switched'? I would like to try it for 5 hours hard enduros next year. I am now from 10 days on kind of keto diet to try it out, but do not feel any change
    If you stay under 20-50 carbs a day it will start immediately, typically signified by the "keto flu". My flu only lasted one day, some have it for a week.
    Most see several pounds weight lose first week do to dropping water.

Keto works great for my riding, decent size breakfast and a little fat mid day. I have way more energy then I did before.
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

I run a Keto/Carnivore diet. General adaptation is about a month, but for real performance usage, its suggested that it may take 3 months to get great at glycogen replenishment compared to a carb diet.

If you start getting headaches, light headed, take some table salt. I heavily salt all my foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    If you stay under 20-50 carbs a day it will start immediately, typically signified by the "keto flu". My flu only lasted one day, some have it for a week.
    Most see several pounds weight lose first week do to dropping water.

Keto works great for my riding, decent size breakfast and a little fat mid day. I have way more energy then I did before.
    I had to stay at or around 25 carbs a day for several months for my body to change. I did keto religiously keeping my carbs at or around 25 a day for a year. I tracked everything I ate every day for a year. Now I do keto now because I don't buy carb heavy foods anymore. If I eat too many carbs now I know it and feel like crap.
    '04 KTM 300 EXC - My ride.
    '93 KDX 200 - Son's ride.
    '05 KTM 85 sx - project

Images

You can buy urine dipsticks that measure ketones.

FWIW ketones are a byproduct of your body burning fat when there's not enough/any glucose to burn.
    You are what you do when it counts ― John Steakley, Armor

Plank owner, Wyatt's Torch Maintenance Department.

Accept failure as inevitable and it will be.

KTMTalk Member
    Blog Entries

Not exactly Keto but I have cut down a lot on my carbs. If I get a burger, I don't lettuce wrap but eat maybe 1/4 of the bun at most. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose but I did want to get leaner. In six months I've gone from 172lbs with a bit of a gut to 156lbs just paying attention to what I'm eating and avoiding excess carbs.
    For exercise, I'm generally doing 20 minutes of cardio every day, mountain bike 10 miles twice a week and a training ride on my dirt bike once a week. Nothing too crazy but try to be consistent.
    I'm 50 yrs old, 5' 8" and at 156lbs my co-workers thought I was about more like 180lbs because of my back and shoulders from the daily workout on the rower. Might be needing new pants soon as I'm about a 30" waist now and plan to be around 150lbs in the next 45 days when the new race season starts.
    Last edited by motogp1gprix1; 12-02-2019 at 05:10 PM.

For me, it took a good 3 months or so until I felt "normal" doing Keto. By 6 months, I began to notice real improvements in endurance, which continued to improve quite steadily for 2-3 years. I started Keto at age 40 and have been doing it for almost 8 years now.
    Current rides:
    2018 150SX (x2)
    2013 150XC (x2)

Former rides: 2015 85SX; 2014 85SX; 2013 150XC; 2013 65SX; 2012 50SX; 2011 150XC; 2008 50SX; 2007 50SX Jr (x2); 2007 50 Mini Adventure

So I guess it is not enough to start it a month before competitions and then stop it after. It has to be more like a change of life-style and as a side effect you get endurance of terminator...

Once you see how negatively sugar and grains are affecting your health, most do not want to go back to that cycle of blood sugar swings, inflammation, weight gain.

The hardest part of remaining low carb is just battling to constant onslaught of sugar everywhere.

Once you are keto adapted, you can actually use carbs as performance enhancers in situations. Rich Larson talks about how super human he performs on race day

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast