Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Take it to the Next Level

Default Re: Take it to the Next Level

I've found knowing where to look is a HUGE deal to learn. Learn how to ignore the little things that make you cautious, let your body take over, and stay smooth. You can process information a lot easier looking far ahead. If you get caught up and look further down it will slow you down tremendously.

I've only been back riding for three years yet I've improved tremendously. I love getting "man, you've gotten so much faster!" The little things you learn to improve add up.
    '18 Husky TX300
    16 KTM 150sx

2.    Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by roddysdad View Post
    I don't get it bud, what effect does that translate into?
    I believe a couple things. 1 I just go faster knowing I'm ready for whatever comes along, sometimes it's difficult to transition from holding on with the whole hand to grabbing the brake. 2 I come into the turns faster now without sliding the rear tire as much, it also seems to settle the front and help it grab traction if I slightly apply the front brake through the turns. It's not for everyone. But has really helped me.

I think what you eat, and what kind of working out you do CAN help.... Obviously if your eating nothing about garbage food and your super fat, or even not super fat but running out of energy, what your eating isn't helping you. And if you sit behind a desk for work every day and when not working, your on the couch watching american idol, and your not being active in any way other than on race day, That is a problem too.

I eat garbage food, and am a little over weight ( not by much, Im 200-205 lbs and 5 foot 11, ideally I should be around 175 - 180 lbs ) And I NEVER work out. But I have a very physical job ( own a lawn mowing service and mow between 65-70 yards a week by myself ) and if I am not working I am riding mountain bikes or jet skiing or some other type of on my feet activity. I am sure that helps.

In fact I always get a kick out of seeing dudes at the races getting dressed and the ones with the nice ripped arms and six pack... you know the ones that look like they could be a UFC fighter.... I see them on the side of the trail mid race having to take a break. Muscles and work outs don't always equal good results on a dirtbike.

Good results come from practice and experience. And nothing beats seat time. I am fortunate to have 4 local race series, plus three national series with local rounds, to choose from. On almost any given weekend there is a race somewhere semi close by. I try to race every weekend. I believe nothing helps your skill more than getting in races and improving each race.

Things like how you sit on the bike... Are you scanning the trail far enough ahead.... Are you looking for and using hotlines..... Braking.... Line selection.... All make a difference in speed.

And another thing, several people above say NOT to go trail riding with your buddies. I disagree somewhat. When I trail ride I ride difficult trails. double or triple black diamond type trails. It isn't fast riding, its somewhat slower pace but very technical riding. If you and your trail riding buddies are cool with those kinds of trails, have at it. Its always good " Race " practice to trail ride hard technical trails. Gives you the skills to deal with the harder stuff that occasionally is in a harescramble race or enduro. Yesterday for example I raced a full blown mud race. I had a good run and got 4th overall. Trail was rutted to hell and became very technical. I had no issues at all. Kept momentum up and criss crossed where I needed to go to avoid getting stuck or slowed down too much and ended up with a great finish.

As for those old enduro guys your racing against.... That can be tough. We have some of those guys around here too... 50-55 years old isn't too old yet. These guys haven't slowed up much from their younger years. You may never get the speed to beat some of those guys. Its sad, but its reality.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    Senior A Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding and Gnarly trails

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

I got my first pair of glasses this year. Made a huge difference in my riding.

Be fit be very fit, that's going to lets us ride at a higher intensity for longer. Do the drills, skills count it also builds confidence, confidence changes how we see things, when things look good we tend to ride quicker. A good coach as with most things is golden.

That said I should get myself to the gym now and head my own words.

Chris
    17 TE300

Some great advice above and I don't disagree with any of it . However , almost all of these fast guys were fast when they were much younger . Getting in shape , eating right , etc will always help some but it wont make up for the fact that they have been fast for 40 years or more .

I become faster just by reading this thread.. unfortunatelly only in my head

I've got a group of friends that have really stepped it up this past year or so. They were all good riders, but had mixed results racing and they have advanced to solid A level racing ability. One guy (who started as a mid pack C guy) started taking a lesson here and there with Destry Abbott and with Destry's guidance he took his training to a massive new level, and the other two eventually followed.

They basically stopped trail riding altogether, except if there's a new race venue with unique terrain, they might check the area out, or a comparable area to get a leg up for the race (and I don't mean pre-running the course). But what they do do, is just hammer out sessions on turn tracks out in the desert. I joined them for several occasions early on, but then life got crazy with a new job/move and now I'm a couple hours away as opposed to 20 minutes like before. Anyway, they have all these different loops with varying lap times, some as short as 2 minute laps, some as long as 15+ minutes laps. They seriously hammer these courses, they watch/video each other and analyze how they're doing in a different sections and work together to improve. Maybe it's a series of corners, or a tricky entrance/exit from a wash, jumping a washed out section with a square edge on the other side, whoops.... you get the picture. But they go out and specifically work on the things they struggle with multiple times a week, then finish it off running 30-60 minute endurance motos on these loops. All that stuff combined really seems to reinforce correct body positioning, efficient riding, and overcoming your own personal trouble areas. And you may think that stuff will only help for HS/GPs, not for technical nasty enduros, but it all translates! The fitness, the body positioning, everything! I still thought I'd smoke my buds at the really technical races, but nope, they killed me!

And I'll be honest, having joined them many times; it aint fun! Well it sort of is. You're still riding with your buddies, trash talking etc, but running the same rutted, blown out, breaking bump filled loop over and over kinda sucks! The better you get at it, the more fun it is, but trail riding is sooo much more enjoyable. But the proof is in pudding, as they say. I saw my own improvements in the time that I participated, and the 3 of them have regularly all finished in the top 5 for the B class (out of 70-80 entrants generally) and with times that would often put them in the front half of our A guys. And while they're not AARP eligible, two are in their late 30s and the one who has gained the most speed (and trained the most) is 48 y/o and winning the B class overall against a bunch of kids. His previous full season racing he was barely a mid pack C guy!

So stepping it up (particularly later in life) can likely best be attained through good old fashioned practice. This is how most of our local pros train too, guys like Taylor Robert, Max Gerston, and Joe Wasson. And even they still take lessons from Destry here and there. And the last big thing I'll mention is that getting training from a pro not only helps you get faster, but also how to do it more safely.
    '17 250 XC
    '15 500 XCW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123