Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What 2t oil do use in your TPI and does it matter?

Default Re: What 2t oil do use in your TPI and does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by cluffie View Post
    I had to do that with my 17 beta 300 as to do most of my riding beta buddys. What a piece of junk that OI system is. Main problem was when you submerge the beta and dewater them during a ride there isn't enough oil instantly once you get going again and the crankshaft bearing goes. Premix is there instantly.
    As for the tpi, there is no other option now if you want a 20 model so tpi it is and i actually love the way the tpi runs and rides.
    A well respected local two stroke tuner here is remapping tpi ecu's and he is now adding extra oil to the tune of the ecu so there must be something in this or he wouldn't do it.
    My 2020 TE300 does not run lean at all. I wouldn't add oil to the gas on a stock bike. Make sure you have the map ending in 002 and ensure your warm up is sufficient before heading out for the day.
    2020 TE300i
    2017 250XC (sold)
    2008 WR250R (sold)
    2006 YZ250 (sold)
    2001 WR250F (sold)
    2000 CR125R (sold)
    1990 CR125R (sold)
    1987 CR125R (sold)

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    Maybe with his hotter ECU tune, the motor needs more oil. They certainly don't seem to need additional oiling in stock form though. Lots of high hour TPI's out there now with the only melt down issues, although rare, coming from bad oil pumps (or dirt getting into the oiling system when filling it).
    Good to know. The extra oil on the ecu tune is mainly added for the first 10 secs of start up which is where most wear if any may occur and is good if your bike sits for long periods between rides. It's a good thing imo. He is working on more oil while the engine is running and whether it's a mod that is necessary. Awesome that he is giving owners options with thoroughly field tested and dynoed tunes. I warm my tpi up throughly for 10 mins idleing before riding off and take it easy for at least another 5 mins before twisting the throttle hard. Not an option when racing i know.
    After more research the oil in the tank is a bad idea so i won't be going there,thanks guys.
    My 20 tpi runs amazingly and i love it more and more the more i ride it.

Images

The stock program also injects more oil into the motor during cold startup. Much more might foul a plug, especially in freezing weather.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    "Home of the free, because of the Brave"
    19 250 TPI, 14 250XCW Six Days, The Torch (06 300XCW KTMtalk magazine bike), 98 125EXC
    Gone: 08 250XCW, 07 200XC, 06 300XCW, 04 250EXC, 03 450EXC, 01 400EXC, 99 250EXC, 98 380MXC, 98 200EXC
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My How-to's, KTM bulletins, etc.
    My KTM picture pages
    Razorback Riders Motorcycle Club
    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
    Wudi Forum

The stock program also injects more oil into the motor during cold startup. Much more might foul a plug, especially in freezing weather.
    For the cold start the stock ktm setting is about one drop per 13 seconds at idle while his upgraded ecu setting is about a drop a second for the first 10 seconds then back to the stock setting after that. Also he runs a 8eix plug with no fouling issues in the tune package. We rarely get below 5 degrees celcius so this might be different for you guys. I think it's an excellent upgrade package especially with this oiling improvement.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Is the drip rate(stock) changed if the throttle is blipped while warming up? When you say "idle" does this mean a steady run without the traditional blipping most of us do?

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcoffee View Post
    Is the drip rate(stock) changed if the throttle is blipped while warming up? When you say "idle" does this mean a steady run without the traditional blipping most of us do?
    I don't touch the throttle as a mate who has had 5 tpi's told me that blipping can lead to more of a chance of fouling a plug on warm up. Anyway, no blipping is needed,the 20 tpi just purrs away and never looks like stalling while warming up,very impressive on warm up compared to a carbed bike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cluffie View Post
    I don't touch the throttle as a mate who has had 5 tpi's told me that blipping can lead to more of a chance of fouling a plug on warm up. Anyway, no blipping is needed,the 20 tpi just purrs away and never looks like stalling while warming up,very impressive on warm up compared to a carbed bike.
    Yeah, that's what I said about my 19 at first too. But when it gets below freezing, like mid-20f and lower, I've found I need to work the throttle a little until the motor gets some heat into it. I've fouled 2 plugs trying to just start it and let it idle at those temps, and there are many reports of the same. Above freezing? No problem. Start the bike, pull out the cold start button and let it idle. That tells me the mapping keeps getting richer in oil/gas as temps continue to fall. So increasing the oiling rate as much as you state above would lead to a lot of fouled plugs, IMO. Pretty crazy to increase it from once every 13 seconds to every second anyway. That's a huge leap. TPI's smoke a little on cold startup stock. Must be a bug sprayer with that much oil.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    19 250 TPI, 14 250XCW Six Days, The Torch (06 300XCW KTMtalk magazine bike), 98 125EXC
    Gone: 08 250XCW, 07 200XC, 06 300XCW, 04 250EXC, 03 450EXC, 01 400EXC, 99 250EXC, 98 380MXC, 98 200EXC
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My KTM picture pages
    Wudi Forum

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Jeb, if you are riding at mid 20's and lower you have another issue that needs addressing.

Images

Yeah, I hear you! No choice on one of them, though. Sweeping for Almosta.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My KTM picture pages
    Wudi Forum

Yeah, that's what I said about my 19 at first too. But when it gets below freezing, like mid-20f and lower, I've found I need to work the throttle a little until the motor gets some heat into it. I've fouled 2 plugs trying to just start it and let it idle at those temps, and there are many reports of the same. Above freezing? No problem. Start the bike, pull out the cold start button and let it idle. That tells me the mapping keeps getting richer in oil/gas as temps continue to fall. So increasing the oiling rate as much as you state above would lead to a lot of fouled plugs, IMO. Pretty crazy to increase it from once every 13 seconds to every second anyway. That's a huge leap. TPI's smoke a little on cold startup stock. Must be a bug sprayer with that much oil.

Below zero conditions would be surely different and would need a different technique and luckily we don't get that cold. The extra oil at cold starting is only for the first 10 seconds and then it goes back to the stock setting. The 2020 is now set up to specifically run the more robust br7es plug, which is more fouling resistant then the custom built 18/19 plug is. I have seen one rider foul the stock plug on a 19 250tpi on warm up before and he said it had happened a few times. He had to actually take the tank off to change it, which is a really ****** design by ktm.
    My 2020 tpi hardly smokes at all on start up so thats why i'm thinking the extra start up oil would be a bonus. It used 50ml of oil on my last tank using 8ltrs of fuel which works out at a 160 to 1 ratio. It's an oil miser,lol.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678