Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 43838990919293

Thread: STIC jetting thread:

Default Re: STIC jetting thread:

Quote Originally Posted by jims View Post
    George, thanks for the explanation of the physics of carb operation. You may have misunderstood what I meant by looping the vent line. I don't want to run it into the air box, just loop it 360 degrees so the top of the loop is above the float bowl level. The end of the line will then hang down with the other vent hoses.
    March 30, 2020

Jims, thanks for the response, I hope the explanation helps. Over 50-years of experience has resulted in an understanding of how carburetor passages work. I have several patents issued including the new STIC patent; this resulted in studying prior art inventors back to the inception of the carburetor since the early 1800s; this has resulted in a deeper understanding of how they work and how I would re-design the carburetor to improve how they work. Improvements to fuel injection with STIC metering are in progress.

In the last +50 years, in secrecy, I have done work for some of the NASCAR guys, Rousch, Bob Glidden, Earnhardt (Senior), Warren Johnson, Robert Yates, and thousands of others. I wrote a small book during 2012, it has the dyno sheets from Earnhardt and others depicting before and after; on average they show 20 to 30 hp gains. If you are interested in the book, let me know.

The current STIC invention was conceived during the 1990s, perfected during 2012, manufactured and calibrated from 2012 through 2018. Those that helped in the calibration with their input include the following, thanks to the following: Jeff (MX South), Keith Peterson (KPR), Derek Harris (HP Performance), Guy (RC250), Mark (TOKYO Off-Road), Giles (Tractor), John (CSAR), 2strokenut, Sidecarbod, Adam (MRE Engineering), Marcus (MOG), James (JD Jetting), Nino, RK Tek, and many others too numerous to mention. I also read and listened to all of the riders and their input from the +50,000 hits on KTM Talk, the thousands on Vital MX, and ThumperTalk. When I heard that the riders wanted more low-speed throttle finesse to go along with the instant torque, increased performance, and over-rev, I calibrated the tube to add that feature.

It took all this time, input, and testing all over the world to bring it to an actual finished product. During the CAD operating procedure, there are 200 actual moves required in the CNC manufacturing process; this does not include the design and manufacturing of the STIC tube.
    Last edited by STIC Fuel Systems; 03-30-2020 at 10:21 AM.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member

Been out a bit lately enjoying the STIC, today was 18C/ 64F did some playing with jets, put the JD blue needle in clip 4 on my 8 slide, 36mm carb 250, WOW STIC just luvs it seems the richer you go the more power, it was fantastic but it was on the rich side only noticeable when i slowed down to slow/mid pace were a rich bog off the bottom developed on slight throttle openings but cracking straight up to around 1/4 it went real well so surprising how rich you can go on the STIC if your an aggressive rider.

Not really playing as much with jets these days but i have been getting better results with a lower slide cutaway currently prefer the 7.5 slide, clip 4 JD red needle, 48P, 185 main, i reckon i will try the stock 7 slide again , its balance between clip position to get max power in the mid and not being too rich off idle when your riding slow.

I have left the JD blue in the 8 slide and is now at clip 4.5 wanna see how far i can go on the needle clip before it runs to rich and loose performance.

Still getting very good mileage maybe that will change with richer cutaways, this COVID 19 stuff is limiting how many people can be together so riding this year mite be a lonely affair

stay safe everyone

Hello George,

Thoughts on boring a Keihin out to 42mm with your block installed? Bigger the better? If I understand the principle correctly it would not suffer the throttle response issues compared to choke type emulsion the stic replaces. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by giverthegas View Post
    Hello George,

Thoughts on boring a Keihin out to 42mm with your block installed? Bigger the better? If I understand the principle correctly it would not suffer the throttle response issues compared to choke type emulsion the stic replaces. Thanks.
    What size engine are you applying this to? As you know the velocity is part of the equation in calculating CFM through the engine; MRE Engineering uses the STIC 38mm Keihin Air Striker carburetor exclusively on his 500 MRE engines reporting increased airflow with the STIC and sells the same to his customers. What we find on straight boring the 38mm Keihin to 41mm is a breakout at the spigot end, and unless you oval bore it upwards you may interfere with the idle intermediate circuits. Yes, the STIC will handle the 46/48mm big-bore round slides as we market that type of carburetor.

Quote Originally Posted by dadmac View Post
    Mog used the Stic on an 18 150sx, hes just transferred everything over to a 19 150sx hes had it on the dyno but not yet on the track

I would not hesitate getting another Stic if we could afford to run another bike that is, we already have three Stics in use so hopefully that says a lot

I wouldn't like to think over the years how many times we have bought a pipe and been disappointed, if your lucky you find one you like and it works well for you, but not very often, if ever, you come across one that will give you gains everywhere

The part throttle response is stunning and the power the bike is able to produce at part throttle is quite eye opening, especially if you see it on the dyno compared to stock

You might say just turn the throttle a bit more on stock, that's not quite the point and we don't very often ride near or at wide open, its the transient or modulating throttle response that really benefits with the Stic, be it corner exit or simply lifting the wheel over an obstacle or needing a bit more oomph approaching a jump

If you enjoy turning the throttle and love hearing your bike sing you'll love the Stic, if you like to potter about and rarely make the engine work hard then you may not get the best from it, but its there if you or your mate ever need it

Like anything else though take your time setting the jetting and you will be rewarded, the N3EJ needle seems very popular but not had the need to try one as yet and not sure if its best suited to a 6.5 - 7 slide with a .114 or .115 tube

When Mog was dyno testing on the 150sx it seems going from a .115 tube with a NEDW/NECW #3 when he switched to the .114 tube using the same needle and 6.5 slide he had to switch to #5 so two clip positions richer to maintain the same AFR on that needle, on the track whichever tube he used once jetted correctly there was no noticeable difference between the two tubes

So it seems difficult to compare jetting with someone unless you know what tube and slide they are running with the Stic

Cheers
    dadmac: contact STIC at vortex@sticfuel.us or call me at 715-479-7822. We have a new production run that will be available in 10-days.
    Last edited by STIC Fuel Systems; Today at 02:02 PM.

Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 43838990919293