Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: S1 to L5 fusion questions

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Default Re: S1 to L5 fusion questions

It's been about 1-1/2 year since my surgery. I don't even think about NOT lifting my bike now. No pain. I'm only limited by range of movement. I can now put on my own socks and tie my shoes. One other good thing that came out of this surgery was I discovered the nail salon! No way could I cut my own toe nails, and they were starting to 'click' when I walked, so, my wife made an appt. with her manicurist to do my toenails. I got 'Gramma-san', and she gave me the 'works'! Hot water foot bath, sea salt massage from feet to knees, callous buffing of heels, 3 different oils ( I couldn't decide on a color for my nails, so she just went with natural). I hour later, I walked out floating about 3' feet off the ground. What a feeling! Now, it's a monthly ritual. I'm not telling the wife, but I could probably cut my own nails now. At first, it was kinda strange sitting there with 5-6 other 'ladies" all 'peeking' at me from behind their magazines, but now, they have started bringing their husbands in, and "we' are talking about dirt bikes, fishing, or football....I even got the local Ace Hardware guys going in.
    '13 500 EXC
    '02 520 EXC
    96 550 MXC(bought it back)
    84 CR500(sold)
    96 POLARIS 1160 w/162" TRACK
    76 CJ7

2.    Sponsored Links

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Quote Originally Posted by dualsportdave View Post
    Irishcoffee forgive me but I cant seem to recall if you ended up having surgery?
    What back procedure did you have? location? how many weeks out?
    My surgeon highly recommend bicycle riding at 12 weeks.
    My 1st trip on the bicycle was difficult and I was worried about every bump. I took it very slow at first on ultra smooth pavement, but the more time I spent riding the less I noticed bumps. I did a little mnt bike trail by my house today and did not even notice the bumps (I did walk the bike over a fallen tree). I am hoping to feel more confident after my 6-month check up.
    Mine was a discectomy. Should have been a "simple" procedure but the nerve to my left quadricep was damaged and it is very weak and much smaller than normal. My mistake was using a poor Dr. I did not do enough research and paid the price. After my surgery when going back for consultations about possible corrections, I found out that every other patient of his that I met had a poor result and many were having more surgeries. His great personality and "bedside" manner were a cover for his incompetence. Do your homework before your surgery folks!
    Last edited by Irishcoffee; 10-20-2019 at 01:46 PM.

KTMTalk Member
    Images

IC sorry to hear about your procedure not going to plan. It really makes you think about all the risk involved with any surgery. Best of luck and I hope you can continue to make improvements.
    Cheers

dualsportdave
    2011 250 XCF-W 6-days

Not good IC sorry about your issues. I keep reading on various back pain forums that folks that have had a discectomy usually end up with fusion surgery down the road. I read Tiger woods story and he went through three back surgeries until he had fusion surgery going through the stomach approach. Today he is pain free and golfing. Back surgery is nothing to take lightly and only a very last resort.

KTMTalk Member
    Images

Just had my 6 month checkup and everything went well. Fusion is not 100% but it looks way better than did at 3-months (doc says I can consider myself fused). Doc also said his work is done its all up to me from here out (no need for 12 month check up).
    Feeling good. MRI every 3-years was his final recommendation.
    Cheers

dualsportdave
    2011 250 XCF-W 6-days

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456