Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Freeride suspension options

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Default Re: Freeride suspension options

OR you could just pay Corey a hundred $ or so (may have gone up since I did it) to send you the necessary shims and instructions to get it right the first time???

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird2 View Post
    OR you could just pay Corey a hundred $ or so (may have gone up since I did it) to send you the necessary shims and instructions to get it right the first time???
    Do you have confidence that he would get it right the first time? I suppose valving has nothing to do with weight, that's the spring. So, valving should be about the same for most riders? According to how they ride? I am hesitant about anyone getting it right. My last 3 bikes, custom valving jobs by 2 different highly recommended tuners, were major disappointments. The Freeride is limited, so I don't expect as much, the other two big bikes, they were better before the tuner got his hands on them. I expect that I will just get some random shims and try some recommendations, maybe get someone to run it through Restackor.... unless your completely confident that Corey could hit it first try, that being the case, heck, I would just send him my suspension and let him do it???
    Last edited by 1gr8bldr; 05-06-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

I have dealt with 5 different highly rated suspension tuners over the years. All have made improvements but only TrailTricks and Corey have NAILED it on the first try on 2 different bikes. IMO Fork tuning is VERY different for different types of riders (and terrain). It is CRITICAL that the tuner knows how YOU ride and on what type terrain and what YOU are looking for. I am a 76 year old B rider that likes VERY gnarly terrain so I need a very compliant suspension. I don't get air, etc. but can usually get up any hill or through any rock garden, etc.

IMO the Freeride forks are terrible the way they come. Harsh, etc. One thing I always tell folks is to put a zip tie on their fork and see how much travel they used on a typical ride. You can reset it several times during the ride as well. VERY few folks are using more than about 3/4 of the available travel. (Remember on the Freeride the last 3/4" is NOT available).

The forks and the offset steering bearings and steering damper have been the 3 most important mods for me. I can go nearly as fast as on my 200 xcw and have the best possible set up for gnarly. I am also a believer in setting the forks up for thin fork oil which doesn't change viscosity near as much with temperature. See Suspension Fluid
    From Pvdwiki

LOL, I just talked with Corey. For what he charges, I'm gonna let him have a shot at it. He's not far so shipping might not be bad. I feel like it will improve, at least enough that I don't have to do it. He said that he would convert it to xplor type system. I am unfamiliar with this? My offset bearings were supposed to be in by now. They have not arrived yet. As soon as this mod is complete, I will send to Corey. Hmmmm, the reason I want to wait is so that I can check my sag front and rear with the offset mod in place so that I can give the numbers to Corey as reference since spring charts don't apply to the Freeride. He could see what my current springs are and adjust based on their result to determine if a different rate springs are needed. However, that time period of the bike being torn down for the bearing mod would be an opportune time to send the suspension. Bike down time could be minimized.

Any updates on the mods you were having Corey do?

Quote Originally Posted by nonic View Post
    Any updates on the mods you were having Corey do?
    I tried unsuccessfully to contact him for 6 months and decided that if he did eventually answer, that I could not do business this way. I did have correct numbers. Our initial conversation led me to believe he was perfect for the job. However...Often when this sort of thing happens, it's not from being slack, it's usually a crisis of some sort therefore I wish him the best...

I dont trust any suspension guys anymore. Just too many hyped up promises and crappy results. Also - none of them know the freeride. They take thier recipe either from the big bikes or the 85s. Wrongo.

Ended up doing it myself. Not that hard. I used the recipe from BrentJ with some tweaks for my weight. Works great for slow technical.
    --------------------------------------------
    2019 Sherco SC250 Factory
    2015 Freeride 250R
    2012 Ossa TR280i

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345