Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leg out; Bad Habit or good Balance

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

Default Re: Leg out; Bad Habit or good Balance

Quote Originally Posted by ilikebass View Post
    Are you guys talking about not putting your leg out front by the fender when cornering, ever? I don't see how you could possibly keep your foot on the inside peg at a high lean angle, maybe I'm missing something?
    It's mental reassurance for the foot to be out there.

I got my foot caught under a root in an enduro about 6 miles from the start. Fell over on it and cracked the small leg bone above my ankle. Got up and going again never putting that foot down for the next 100 miles. Figured i sprained it badly. Fortunately that race was sandy Stillwater Ok ground. Made me a better rider that day.

Point is the bike only occasionally needs that foot out there. It's our own reassurance most of the time.
    14 ktm 300 xcw
    15 ktm 250 xcw (sons)
    04 ktm 125 sx sold
    05 honda 85 cr sold
    Kx 65 sold
    Honda 70 sold
    76 Husky 250 wr sold
    72 Puch 125 sold
    70? Yamaha 175 sold
    67 Yamaha twin jet 100 sold

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

This is a preference thing.
    I was told by many good riders I know that feet on the pegs always. Was told to stand always for that matter.
    Surprisingly though I watch my friend ride who sits to go fast and throws leg out every corner and he is the fastest guy I know and contradicts all of that (he's very competitive in all the Canadian offroad XC's and Enduros and frequents the GNCC's with some good results as well). So I'm back and forth myself between the two and more of just trying to find when its useful and when its not.
    Current Bikes:
    2017 Husqvarna TE250

Previous Bikes:
    2017 KTM 250XC-F
    2016 Beta 250RR Race Edition
    2011 KTM 350SX-F Cairoli Factory Edition
    2008 Husqvarna WR250
    2005 Honda CRF250-R

Userid

If its an unknown corner that you can't clearly see through I would be much more cautious and ride standing through it, on a lap type track that you get to know you may well be quicker sitting and if there's a rut or berm its going to be quicker if that is what matters.

Chris
    17 TE300

Userid
    Blog Entries

I've be riding for about 60 years, started with local recreational riding, then racing motocross, my last race at 69 years of age. As i evolved in experience and training, i found myself with less time in the seat and if i ever took my feet off the pegs, it was for ballast only, my lap times improved accordingly. I'll make this short, I start riding and training on a trials bike years ago and now at 73 I ride very technical and tough Idaho back country. please realize that if your feet are off the peg you are no longer in control of braking or gear selection. Flaming out on a switch back or running off a cliff because you were sitting in the seat with your feet dragging in the dirt is not a good chose. You will never ride safer or develop more skills than if you treat all your riding as if you were in a trials competition (no dabbing). when you come to a stop, see how long you can balance before you take your feet off the pegs. Learn to ride neutral, nether hanging from the bars during acceleration or leaning on them during braking. Trials bike training and discipline will make you more consistent, faster and much safer .

Userid
    Blog Entries

Before you ask, yes in motocross turns with a foot deep rut, there is no other place to put you size 13's but on the front fender.....

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Always keep your feet on the pegs & stand ...as much as possible , even on a mx track

often would try to practice standing for an entire lap of a mx track , even turns ...it's difficult but good practice

will lift a foot but not try not to dangle it out , safer ..especially for a long legged rider
    2016 ktm 150sx set-up for mx & offroad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123