Thread: Repaired my Garmin GPS today.

Default Repaired my Garmin GPS today.

I found my 60sx would only work on hardwire and not the battery, removed back cover and found one of the connection's that look like a V had broken off at the point and after I cleaned up the remaining part inserted a 3/16" long spring between it and the battery and now it works, simple fix.
    present bikes
    2006 KTM 450 EXC
    2006 KTM 400 EXC
    1999 Kawasaki Concours
    1983 Husqvarna 250WR
    1968 Honda CT90 trail 90
    1971 Suzuki RV90
    1964 Honda CT200 Trail 90
    member Great Lakes dual sporters
    www.gldsmc.org
    AMA charter life member-663466A

District 14 ama- #0025

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Default Re: Repaired my Garmin GPS today.

My Garmin 60csx has many hard proven miles mounted on my handlebars but alas for me technology passed it by and I have moved on to a unit with a big bright screen and a fast responsive chip.

My last repair on my csx was replacement of the button pack. I have a really nice lockable, powered mount for the csx that made it especially good for long days in the saddle.
    Mark

RIDING IS MY PASSION..............KTM IS MY RIDE

KTM Factory Tour
    TRIP REPORTS : Moonrock Burning : Riding the Rock : Beating the Storm :
    Freedom Tribute
    BlueRibbon Coalition LifeTime Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdw View Post
    My Garmin 60csx has many hard proven miles mounted on my handlebars but alas for me technology passed it by and I have moved on to a unit with a big bright screen and a fast responsive chip.

My last repair on my csx was replacement of the button pack. I have a really nice lockable, powered mount for the csx that made it especially good for long days in the saddle.
    I am looking to possibly upgrade mine. What did you go to?

Quote Originally Posted by tdfox View Post
    I am looking to possibly upgrade mine. What did you go to?
    I have a BMW R1200 GSW which is equipped with a BMW Motorad Navigator 5 GPS unit. That GPS is highly integrated with the bike and in addition to serving as an excellent GPS much information about the bikes operational data is available via the GPS. Touch screen works great with gloves on, a spin dial next to the clutch perch zooms the map, I could go on and on about the cool features and integration with the BMW. I really, really like the Nav 5 for both on road, adventure, and off road riding.

Since I like that unit so much I purchased a powered mount for my KTM 500 EXC and use the Nav 5 on that bike also. The mount and Nav 5 have functioned without issue and I am very happy using the same GPS on both bikes as I don't have to deal with learning curves for 2 GPS units.

I pre-plan and map all of my rides whether on or off road using Google Maps, Google Earth, and Garmin Base Camp. It took me a long time to learn how but I can now design and pre-plan maps for any kind of ride even the most remote single tracks or cross terrain rides where no road or trail is visible on satellite imagery using this combination.

For those a bit more interested after I have designed a ride on Google Maps (or Earth) I export KML data to Garmin Base Camp, transition the track data to routes then transfer the converted data to the GPS unit. That is a simplified description but in the end this has worked really well for me for all kinds of riding.

I believe the Garmin equivalent for the Nav 5 is the Zumo 660. The Nav 5 (and likely the Zumo) is now outdated. I believe they are up to Nav 7 now.

If you are looking for a unit for off road only I would imagine some better alternatives are available. I also see a trend these days towards using smart phones but I am not willing to risk my phone for this use.

Mark

Below, pics of my setup. Depending on the ride I reposition the GPS using the RAM clamp.
    This Garmin/RAM mount combo has been hammered, crashed, and abused without a failure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200105_082040_1_1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	34548

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200105_082119_1_1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	34549
    Mark

RIDING IS MY PASSION..............KTM IS MY RIDE