Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello Wilks bros, goodbye public access?

Default Re: Hello Wilks bros, goodbye public access?

Are you for real? Trails on private property are not public. We were allowed to treat it as such only because of Boise Cascade and Potlatchs lenient policies.
    No I didnt say I worked for them. I knew someone who did. To continue to log and manage this land that had been ignored. People were living permanently up there and dumping all over.
    Counties dont need to sue them cause they havent done anything illegal on the county level.

30 year local of Valley County, born in Idaho. Local motorcycle business owner active in the motorcycle and snowmobile clubs, do you know what youre talking about?

2.    Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by rkm View Post
    Are you for real? Trails on private property are not public. We were allowed to treat it as such only because of Boise Cascade and Potlatchs lenient policies.
    No I didnt say I worked for them. I knew someone who did. To continue to log and manage this land that had been ignored. People were living permanently up there and dumping all over.
    Counties dont need to sue them cause they havent done anything illegal on the county level.

30 year local of Valley County, born in Idaho. Local motorcycle business owner active in the motorcycle and snowmobile clubs, do you know what youre talking about?
    This is the last I'm going to say on the matter, (applause) shaddy deal? I don't recall any public hearings or a chance to vote on weather Idahoans might want to pool together in the form of a tax deal or whatever or even have a say on the land deal. My understanding is it was a quick and quiet deal. Do you think the public might want to be informed that HUGE SWATHS OF LAND ,most of what wasn't even known what was private or public is just suddenly off limits. We just show up to one "our" favorite recreation sites that the public has had access to since before either you or I was born, and there's no trespassing signs every ten ft. for as far as one can see, in some cases armed guards which one can only imagine are going to shoot/murder you if you set foot on their land! What awesome new neighbors these bro's are!
    And for the record, you have no problem having two brothers owning and in complete control of huge sections of our United States? Wow are you for real? And the only place us lowly public should be allowed to ride is public, sanctioned tracks? And these bro's should be allowed to block our access to even those?
    I'm glad you and your rich buddies are living the dream there in McCall, (the Beverly Hills of Idaho), I for one will certainly be avoiding your business.

KTMTalk Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by donkey a View Post
    This is the last I'm going to say on the matter, (applause) shaddy deal? I don't recall any public hearings or a chance to vote on weather Idahoans might want to pool together in the form of a tax deal or whatever or even have a say on the land deal. My understanding is it was a quick and quiet deal. Do you think the public might want to be informed that HUGE SWATHS OF LAND ,most of what wasn't even known what was private or public is just suddenly off limits. We just show up to one "our" favorite recreation sites that the public has had access to since before either you or I was born, and there's no trespassing signs every ten ft. for as far as one can see, in some cases armed guards which one can only imagine are going to shoot/murder you if you set foot on their land! What awesome new neighbors these bro's are!
    And for the record, you have no problem having two brothers owning and in complete control of huge sections of our United States? Wow are you for real? And the only place us lowly public should be allowed to ride is public, sanctioned tracks? And these bro's should be allowed to block our access to even those?
    I'm glad you and your rich buddies are living the dream there in McCall, (the Beverly Hills of Idaho), I for one will certainly be avoiding your business.
    While I'm not a fan of the wilks bros , giving RK S*&t for his position is uncalled for. You have a lot of projection going on with someone you don't know. RK may not respond as he's too busy clearing trail for others to enjoy...

BTW, the beverly hills of idaho is Sun Valley, not McCall...

You're right racerxx276, I let my emotions get the better of me and I would like to apologise to rkm, don't personally know him and is probably a decent guy, however in my book anyone who defends these sons of b's can basically kiss mine unless/maybe they do a complete reversal on how they've been treating their new neighbors, it's just completely indefensible, ( a couple barrels of sewage ) .
    Again, sorry and out.

Talking Re: Hello Wilks bros, goodbye public access?

Nice response Donkey! When stuff gets me riled, I always have to take a couple breaths and some time to respond, otherwise I turn into a sorry factory. Yeah, I hear ya, you should see what they are buying up in Montana. They are going for whatever good land we have left in this country and doing their best to lock the public out of public lands. Get on the horn with your congress person, go to the forest service or county office of EXISTING Right-of-Way info and get educated. You'll need it to better understand. Here in Eastern Mt the Wilk's are effectively shutting hunters out of THEIR land and I have never heard a positive word spoken about them from old hunting friends I have. The only folks that dig that jive hang in the Yellowstone Club at their 3rd or 4th multi-million $$ house(ok, maybe I should have taken that breath because I don't know that for sure but I have only heard rich non-public lands users defend this type of person, on the air, the internets, oh and a bar).
    Last edited by Weekend Update; 07-19-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Any landowners (wealthy or not) acquiring islands of private property surrounded by public lands and then illegally locking gates and blocking trails providing public access via prescriptive easements across that property is a problem we deal with in Arizona as well. While I understand and respect a private property owner's right to lock people out of his property, if one knowingly purchase private property with an established road or trail providing public access established over decades of historical use, that access needs to be respected and maintained.

Too many public lands agencies seem unwilling to advocate for the public's prescriptive rights of access, and in doing so effectively abandon decades of historical usage rights.

Prescriptive easement laws vary from state to state. To me this seems like the best way to remedy this situation. If Boise/Cascade, Potlatch, etc. did nothing to stop the access this sounds like a perfect prescriptive easement case.

A good example of this exact issue is the closure of Martin's Beach in Half Moon bay by Khosla. Established access road for years to the beach on private property; access allowed but no formal easement. Khosla bought the property, said the public was misusing the path and locked the gate effectively blocking beach access except by boat from the water. The only thing that broke Khosla's case was the California Coastal Commission law that states that no one owns the beaches and the public must have access. This law was created due to rich folks buying up all the beachfront in places like Malibu and effectively blocking all access to it and creating their own private beaches. Without at state law like this in ID or MT your access will likely get cut off as the Kholsa thing went all the way to the Supreme Court. SOTUS rejected hearing it and the lower Court had ruled in favor of the public against Khosla so he had to provide access but his billions allowed it to get that far up the chain....Unless the community can really unite to react against this type if ownership (very hard to do) the rich guys will win every time.
    '19 TX 300, '18 Scorp Factory 300, '15 500 EXC, '14 Gasgas XC300, '04 Gasgas EC300, '96 550, '93 550 MXC, '91 540 (CA plated and sold to Picklito), '72 H-1 500 Qwacker
    "A Gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123