Thread: 2008 Cobra cx50 King Coolant leak

Userid

Default 2008 Cobra cx50 King Coolant leak

I picked up 2 2008 king cobras that need a little love. They'd been sitting for 5 years. I drained all fuel, replaced clutch milk, flushed coolant, and took apart and cleaned carb and air filters. I have no experience working on these bikes and am hoping for some guidance.

-First bike starts up and runs but leaks coolant from the water pump case. Took off cover and I'm assuming that the impellers seal is bad. Does this seem about right? Is the water pump worth rebuilding or should i just replace the whole assembly since they are only about 80 bucks online?

-Second bike I kicked a few times and the kicker locked up. I took the cover off and tried turning by hand. No idea where to start on this one.

Also, is there anywhere to find videos for how to do any replacements/repairs on these bikes? Google searches don't give a whole lot.

Thank you

Userid

Default Re: 2008 Cobra cx50 King Coolant leak

Check the cobra facebook page, whole bunch of knowledge from Cobra them self, Cobra dealers, and experienced Cobra dad's. . Not to sound like a downer, but unless you got these for dirty dirty cheap, but as with any used 50 you are going to have more into it, then buying a newer bike by the end of it.

Many of the seals and bearings can be found at napa and other auto parts stores using cross references.
    Instagram: Logi.bear93

Userid

I just bought a 2010 and bought a bunch of stuff to freshen it up. Wasnít that bad at all. I would buy the whole water pump kit. Reading about them itís a lot of maint but I like doing it and am pretty good about that. Biggest thing Iím doing is changing oil after every ride or two. I think all seals and o rings are not that expensive and can source them locally as well to have extras in hand. Iím running the hard stack on clutch with 14 counter sprocket. The 13 is very grabby for my son. From what Iíve heard running the clutch stack on hard is the best for the clutch life, could be wrong.

Userid

I'll check out the facebook page, thanks. I paid 500 a piece and it came with a box of parts, brand new case, 4 new top ends, 4 cranks, a bunch of sprockets, extra exhausts, carbs, swing arm, complete rear brake set up and alot more (most all the extra parts are new). So i figured i'd give them a shot.

Userid

I'm not sure what you mean by a clutch stack or how to adjust the clutching. My kids race quads and they have a CVT transmission. The ones on these Cobra's are different then I'm used to. What sites have you guys found are the best to order parts from? Are there other then OEM options out there for replacements?

Userid

You pretty much have to order from a dealer. Pax has good stuff onsite but I think if you called your nearest dealer told them what you need they could get it for you. Iím new to this as well and have watched you tube vids.

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestkopta View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by a clutch stack or how to adjust the clutching. My kids race quads and they have a CVT transmission. The ones on these Cobra's are different then I'm used to. What sites have you guys found are the best to order parts from? Are there other then OEM options out there for replacements?
    Give Rob Minton a call 740-206-2514
    Instagram: Logi.bear93