Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 2020 Beta's: redesigned bikes, counterbalance

Lifetime Team KTMTalk Crosspower's Avatar
    Userid

Default Re: 2020 Beta's: redesigned bikes, counterbalance

Quote Originally Posted by LRM View Post
    From my signature you can see I have a Husky CB & a Beta CB. Now the Husky is a 250 vs the Beta 300, but the Beta is a little bit more rough than the Husky. On the other hand, the Beta feels lighter and is more flickable than the Husky. Power is excellent on both.

If you are trying to decide whether to by a Beta or not, the only consideration I would suggest is; (1) the Beta is worth the smaller investment as long as you have a good dealer near by. Because 98% of the parts you'll need to maintain it will have to come from the dealer. You can't get on the web and order parts from Rocky Mountain or others like most of us are used to doing for a KTM/Husky. (2)Beta missed the mark with the KYB forks (just as Kyle said) they are too stiff for single track. Would probably be close for desert but not in the hard enduro. The are much to stiff at start of travel. You will have them have them re-valved. The shock is actually better than the KYB's out of the box.

Other than those problems, if you like carb'd motors, simple playful 2t's. The Beta is high quality, with all the problems addressed from prior years. That makes it a home run.
    My 250 is very smooth.
    I'm not sure about the KYB valving just yet. My shock spring is a 5.2, I've heard the forks are .45 so that targets the bike for a 200lb rider. That's actually refreshing for me who has always had to buy springs in the past because most companies build bikes for 160-170lb riders.
    You can buy a lot of stuff from Rocky Mountain for you Beta. They don't have up to date info on the 2020 yet. But look at the 2019. Most of it is same.
    I tried to listen to Kyles podcast. He compares a RE to a XCW and complains about how much better the suspension is. Maybe compare apples to apples?
    2020 Beta 250 Race Edition
    2015 Husqvarna FE 350
    ​2015 Yamaha YZ 250- Sons
    2020 Yamaha YZ 125- Sons

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by 2strokenut View Post
    Are they using gas? There is no way in hell the Husky is pinging on 91 pump gas. These people are morons.
    Yep and because of that one statement, their credibility is completely shot.
    2020 TE300i

Userid
    Images

Maybe Kali gas is that craptastic? I sure don't know (but wouldn't be surprised). Strange tho that mixing in race gas cured it........ could be too that they got Fritz's Friday after beer bike. I know my 04 KTM had the deck height way off on it.
    ike jones
    11 250xc
    08 250xc (sons)
    previous Katies: 86-350, 89-250, 91-300, 98-250, 00-200, 01-250, 04-250

Userid

I've read several reports of pinging with TPI here on this message board. "the Keihin carbureted Beta ran great in a pretty wide range of conditions and altitudes. At this stage of the Husqvarna/KTM development cycle, we still give the edge in performance to the carbureted Beta" Moab is 4-5 thousand feet, so they rode them from about sea level to 5 thousand. Gas mileage was the same.

"The engine performance is where these two bikes differ the most. As with the past fuel-injected Husqvarna two-strokes, we have found that the bikes run well, but they donít provide the exciting performance found on the previous generation carbureted models from both Husqvarna and KTM. They are pretty flat and lack the snap that makes two-strokes so fun."

I've read several reports stating the exact same thing here on KTM Talk and Thumper Talk. All the TPI proponents love to point out how "linear" the power band is. That IS NOT what these riders think is fun. You want a linear four stroke type of power band, great, go for it. The Keihin carburetor is very well known for being one of the best, it doesn't surprise me at all, that a well set-up Keihin runs so well. Regarding gas capacity, I'm sure the TPI loses even more so, due to the fuel pump taking up room in the tank.

You don't have to mix gas with either bike in stock form but you can switch to premix on the Beta, so I assume removing the oil tank/pump would result in, at least a pound reduction, and then weigh less than the TPI. Wonder if the Beta will run without a battery?
    Last edited by pumpkinator; 02-06-2020 at 03:11 PM.
    '19 XC-250, '17 6 Days 300XC-W, '14 500XC-W

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinator View Post
    I've read several reports of pinging with TPI here on this message board. "the Keihin carbureted Beta ran great in a pretty wide range of conditions and altitudes. At this stage of the Husqvarna/KTM development cycle, we still give the edge in performance to the carbureted Beta" Moab is 4-5 thousand feet, so they rode them from about sea level to 5 thousand. Gas mileage was the same.

"The engine performance is where these two bikes differ the most. As with the past fuel-injected Husqvarna two-strokes, we have found that the bikes run well, but they donít provide the exciting performance found on the previous generation carbureted models from both Husqvarna and KTM. They are pretty flat and lack the snap that makes two-strokes so fun."

I've read several reports stating the exact same thing here on KTM Talk and Thumper Talk. All the TPI proponents love to point out how "linear" the power band is. That IS NOT what these riders think is fun. You want a linear four stroke type of power band, great, go for it. The Keihin carburetor is very well known for being one of the best, it doesn't surprise me at all, that a well set-up Keihin runs so well. Regarding gas capacity, I'm sure the TPI loses even more so, due to the fuel pump taking up room in the tank.

You don't have to mix gas with either bike in stock form but you can switch to premix on the Beta, so I assume removing the oil tank/pump would result in, at least a pound reduction, and then weigh less than the TPI. Wonder if the Beta will run without a battery?
    1.) TPI bikes don't ping stock I own two, and have put HC heads on both, still don't ping. My buddy also runs a dirt bike rental company with 4 TPIs, they don't ping either as as many many friends who have TPIs. The mag is full of sheet or don't know what pinging sounds like.

2.) If you think the stock TPI power is dull, you can amp it up by either messing with the dolly screw, putting in the red spring, or doing a head.

3.) If you are scared of more things to break, valid concern, stay with something less complicated.
    2020 Husqvarna TE300i
    2019 300TPI XCW RK Tek Head, GET ECU
    2017 300XC 36mm lectron RK-Tek head Cylinder Porting By HPRaceDevelopment***SOLD***
    2007 YZ250 ***SOLD
    2014 300SX ***SOLD***
    The Ride Shop AZ KYB SSS conversion
    RideJBI.com

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

This highly scientific test should put the vibration question to rest once and for all.

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by 2strokenut View Post
    1.) TPI bikes don't ping stock I own two, and have put HC heads on both, still don't ping. My buddy also runs a dirt bike rental company with 4 TPIs, they don't ping either as as many many friends who have TPIs. The mag is full of sheet or don't know what pinging sounds like.

2.) If you think the stock TPI power is dull, you can amp it up by either messing with the dolly screw, putting in the red spring, or doing a head.

3.) If you are scared of more things to break, valid concern, stay with something less complicated.
    Well said. There are 4 TPI bikes in our group and none of them ping. I haven't read a single post on this forum about TPI's pinging.

I agree that the older 2 stroke KTM's made more brutal power than the current generation, starting with the '17 models. I attribute most of that to the counterbalancer. My '17 300 was pretty lethargic in stock form and because of that, the transmission felt gappy. Once I added an RK Tek head and Keihin carb, it was the best two stroke I had ever ridden. It still didn't have that raw two stroke feel like the older KTM's, but it was so much easier to ride. When I got my 2020 TE300, I figured I was going to need an RK Tek head to match the power that my '17 had. I was dead wrong. In stock form, my 2020 is as good or better than that bike. I'm sure the 2020 would be awesome with the addition of an RK Tek head, but as long as it doesn't feel gappy to me, I just don't see the need.
    2020 TE300i

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314