Thread: 13 85 sx intermittent no start

Userid

Default 13 85 sx intermittent no start

my son and i LOVE this bike! we bought it a few months ago, and it has been the best thing for him, buuuuuut

a few weeks ago, at a typical riding spot, i stopped like i do every so often to let him catch up (this was on dirt road connecting trails, where i really dont have to worry about him so i was a ways ahead when i stopped), i sat, i listened, i started thinking the worst, but the little guy always comes through so i didn't want to turn around and risk a head-on collision. nothing. i was just getting ready to head back after him when i heard, just barely over the birds, the worst thing any dad can hear besides silence. . . . . .the blood curdling dddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD!

I never rode so careful in my life, i wanted to ride fast, but i had to make sure i didn't fall, i kept my cool, thinking about helicopter access and how i was going to relay where we were to emergency responders, he screamed so i didn't think it to be life threatening. i finally get down to him and the little fart is sitting on his bike with "wtf" hands held high and very much in one piece. I was very thankful.

So he says it wont start. BS. I kick, and kick, and then shrug my shoulder's and tell him he must have fouled a plug. mind you, he has taken to this bike pretty well, he was "on" that day, and he took some offense to me saying that he must have fouled it. I pull my pack off, wrench the plug out and give-er a glance. . . .little dark on one side, chocolate on the other. I made sure to tell him his plug looked great, but put a new one in just in case. Nothing. I told him to saddle up with me, his bike is toast, we are going to the truck and thank goodness we can drive back to retrieve his bike.

on the ride home, we talked about how fun it was going to be to re-build his bike, and how i thought that the top end was a little tired since we bought it (it kicks over VERY easily, but i have not done a compression check) so we take it home, i tell him to wash it as good as possible before the rebuild, and then we put it on the "healing bench" and i see that the boot is off the plug. . . . .

he swore he didn't pull it off, and said that he noticed that i neglected to put it on, but didn't say anything about it because "you usually know what you're doing" (poor kid thinks i know what im doing) anyway, with boot installed, the bike fires up with one kick. . . . .bang ba bang bang bang bang bang baaaaannnnnnggggg ba bang bang bang bang

im dumb. problem solved.

put old plug in and it also fired up. ha! im dumber!

anyway, i like telling stories, and i hope they are enjoyable, but here's the thing:

saturday, we were at the same spot, rode the same trail, used the same road to connect to the next trail, and had the EXACT same situation. he died in the EXACT spot he did the last time. his bike was dead as a doornail. this time, i rode it down the road a ways (downhill--fairly steep) trying to get it to fire. i realized i had rode the bike downhill a LONG ways without any sign of life and pulled the plug. looked good, made sparks, put it back into the bike and it fired up. by that time, my son had run down to me, and i told him to start his bike, it was time to go home. dead. again. wouldn't start. we were about to give up and i said let me give it one more kick, and sure enough, it fired up and was trouble free all the way back to the pickup.

we pulled the carb apart tonight, and nothing was weird or dirty.

any ideas are welcome
    03 525 mxc
    18 250 xc
    13 85 sx

Userid

Default Re: 13 85 sx intermittent no start

anybody? any known stator issues, carb issues, anything?

Please?
    03 525 mxc
    18 250 xc
    13 85 sx

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

You check compression?
    2018 KTM 150 SX
    2018 Husy 85 bigwheel
    08' 250 XCF-W
    14' 350 EXC-F
    09' BMW 1200GS Adventure- For Sale
    1970 PW50 Indian

Special thanks to RSMX, GoPro, SCOTT, SIDI, Acerbis, FMF, Leatt, Asterisk,

Userid

no, we haven't checked compression, the thing runs like a bat outta heck when it runs, though it does feel easy to kick over
    03 525 mxc
    18 250 xc
    13 85 sx

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I would check compression before throwing parts at it. Especially if it starts fine cold but has a hot stall or no start issue. Really only 2 items cause that Compression and Stator.
    2018 KTM 150 SX
    2018 Husy 85 bigwheel
    08' 250 XCF-W
    14' 350 EXC-F
    09' BMW 1200GS Adventure- For Sale
    1970 PW50 Indian

Special thanks to RSMX, GoPro, SCOTT, SIDI, Acerbis, FMF, Leatt, Asterisk,