Thread: 50s w training wheels

Default 50s w training wheels

What are the opinions on these things? Howd you start your little guys? I just picked up an older Suzuki JR 50 for my 3 and 4 year olds and it came w a set of training wheels. So far theyre doing ok on it but I almost feel as if the training wheels are a detriment. For the life of me, I cannot get them to lean into a turn. So, when turning, or going in circles, theyre essentially being held up by the outside training wheel. If/when they do lean it over into the turn and onto the inner training wheel, they tend to turn too sharp and endo, causing them to tip over and get thrown over the bars. Any insight? I didnt start riding until late into my teens.
    2018 300 XC-w
    2002 Honda XR70r
    2002 Honda XR80r

2.    Sponsored Links

Default Re: 50s w training wheels

Not a fan. Put kid on a bicycle first once they know how to ride two wheels they only need to learn the throttle. If never been on 2 wheels put them on a strider balance bike.

I gotta agree with you. Both of them have the strider pretty much down pat. The 4 year old is on a pedal bike already (no training wheels). I just gotta get him to hold the throttle on smooth and cut out the brrrm brrrm brrrm crap. Hes fine until he lets off the throttle, then he wants to tip over. No biggie, theyll get it soon enough. Im not trying to raise the next Jarvis. Would be nice though, lol.
    2018 300 XC-w
    2002 Honda XR70r
    2002 Honda XR80r

I tied a 8 strap to the back of the subframe and would walk them like a dog. Use the strap to put a little tension on them acting not only as a brake, but a little side to side stability. The tension in the rope also helped them to ride at a smoother pace eliminating the up and down speed fluctuations. The biggest thing it does is give your kid confidence having dad literally watching their back the whole ride.

Pitch em. Way better off and they are more dangerous with them on.

Took em off and hes doing much better w/o them. Actually riding the thing now, not just leaning over on a wheel. Also made him recognize that he has to stay on the throttle to keep moving and to keep upright.
    2018 300 XC-w
    2002 Honda XR70r
    2002 Honda XR80r