Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Water Pump assembles, etc. effectiveness?

Default Aftermarket Water Pump assembles, etc. effectiveness?

This is mainly in reference for 2 strokes, but probably applies to 4 strokes as well. I am not speaking of AL impellers to replace the chinsy plastic versions, but whole units like Boyesen, etc.

I do have the Checkpoint impeller in my 125, works just fine, not sure if if really cools any better, but feel good about the reliability. Are these whole units really any better or are they just bling basically? I am eye balling a nice assembly for my 125, but not sure if it is worth any more than just the "ah" factor.

Any input is valued and appreciated!
    as above so below as within so without

2.    Sponsored Links

Default Re: Aftermarket Water Pump assembles, etc. effectiveness?

Not sure about all model years but 2004 thru 2016 ktm 2 strokes have peeo waterpump design. I port my pump bodys to improve flow as well as the water inlets and outlets. Still I have to say, the Boysen pump bodies pretty much do all the work for you and more. very nice design. Not had my 2017 pump apart yet so cannot comment on the KTM design but if I had to wager I would say it is a safe bet they found a way to improve that model.
    Victor

Thanks Victor, I may just go for it!

Im surprised nobody does a flow test with any of these pump kits. I would think it would be fairly easy to attach a meter and start the bike for 30 seconds and get flow measurements from stock vs. aftermarket. Also, the fact that the aftermarket companies don't state "XX% more flow" has always made me question their effectiveness. They would have to know those values, and IMO the only reason to leave that out of marketing is because the value is too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Caulin15 View Post
    Im surprised nobody does a flow test with any of these pump kits. I would think it would be fairly easy to attach a meter and start the bike for 30 seconds and get flow measurements from stock vs. aftermarket. Also, the fact that the aftermarket companies don't state "XX% more flow" has always made me question their effectiveness. They would have to know those values, and IMO the only reason to leave that out of marketing is because the value is too low.
    I agree and also have been told that increased flow isn't everything either.

I was lucky enough to get into some classes on hydraulics and fluidics many years ago. I doubt many colleges get into that now days but this was corporate stuff. That is why i port my own pump bodies and engine inlet and outlets. Just cleaning up the obvious poor design. The aftermarket parts i have seen are well designed and hard to improve on. I only wish they would include in the instructions how to clean up the inlets and outlets to take care of all the KTM design mistakes. When you see a piece of piping protruding into an round hole it takes 30 seconds with a die grinder to clean it up. It is entirely possible none of this is needed if your expensive fan kit is doing the job. I have fans on my trail bikes as well as some cleanup on the pumps. My dune bike needs no fan as it moves along at a good pace. The stock pump body was modded as well as the inlet and outlets but i still use the stock impeller.
    Even a well designed pump is only going to flow as good as the worst bottleneck.
    Victor

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

I agree and also have been told that increased flow isn't everything either.
    Correct. Flow isn't everything. It's possible to improve flow, but does it improve heat transfer/contact time>

What increases the heat transfer out of the radiator the most???
    Faster flow rate which means the coolant is not in the radiator as long and therefore removes less heat per trip thru the rad.
    Or slower flow rate meaning the coolant is in the radiator longer which removes more heat per trip thru.
    I don't know the answer as I didn't "shine" in both Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer, as KTMTalk "mconnell" can testify as he was sittin right next to me in those classes!!!
    Dr A. Haji-Sheikh would be disappointed!
    andrew
    TOP END KITS for KTM 2 Strokes...

See the new Classifieds section: DEALER DEALS, for our top end kits.
    Vertex B top end kits for KTM 125 - 300, always in stock!!!
    We also have Vertex "A" size pistons (for replated cylinders only!).
    Proud to be a KTMTalk advertiser. Look for ad on the left side bar.
    Cooksey Crank & Engine

Email with questions:
    andrewgc1@verizon.net

Checkpoint Billet Aluminum water pump impellers in stock for all KTM 2 strokes, 2007 - 2020
    $59 and free shipping!!! Send PayPal to andrewpaypal@verizon.net

Still have Cometic clutch cover gaskets for 2004 - 2016 250/300's.

Here are some YouTube "how-to" videos to help you fix your own KTM 2T
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJ...qyOmg0vq0Mtxiw
    Andrew Cooksey, PE Texas 62100

You guys rule, really appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgc View Post
    What increases the heat transfer out of the radiator the most???
    Faster flow rate which means the coolant is not in the radiator as long and therefore removes less heat per trip thru the rad.
    Or slower flow rate meaning the coolant is in the radiator longer which removes more heat per trip thru.
    I don't know the answer as I didn't "shine" in both Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer, as KTMTalk "mconnell" can testify as he was sittin right next to me in those classes!!!
    Dr A. Haji-Sheikh would be disappointed!
    andrew
    So I took fluid dynamics as part of my engineering degree. To increase heat transfer you would want to increase Raynolds number. Raynolds number is a measurement of how turbulent the fluid flow is, increased turbulence means increased Raynolds number. Basically....you want TURBULENT flow through a system and not laminar flow. I THINK increasing the flow rate of a system would also increase the turbulence...but I cant remember exactly

Quote Originally Posted by demi View Post
    You guys rule, really appreciate the feedback.
    I think they are beneficial, since any increase in flow rate will make the cooling system work better. Its just hard to say how much better they are.
    Last edited by Caulin15; 11-08-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    2018 ktm 250xc
    2018 Yamah MT-09
    2009 kx250f

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast