Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aftermarket Water Pump assembles, etc. effectiveness?

Default Re: Aftermarket Water Pump assembles, etc. effectiveness?

Turbulence is rendered moot once the coolant reaches the radiator. The cooling passages in the motor might benefit from it though to keep bubbles from forming. That is why it is a good idea to keep the engine idling when it is starting to boil. Keeping air flowing too. Don't stop at the top of the hill when the bike is overheating. Keep moving. Stagnant coolant will form bubbles and make it steam more.
    There seems to be relatively good flow if you look into a radiator when running. But if your ride style causes overheating then more flow will cool better. more coolant thru the system does that as well as more air across the fins. A fan does that very well. Or more fin area as with my Mylers rads on the dune bike which needs no fan.
    Victor

2.    Sponsored Links

Images

You need nucleate boiling in the cylinder head and as much coolant flow as possible to carry the heat away to the radiator.
    Ken Powell
    2018 KTM 250 XC-W
    2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in WP forks - Sold to son-in-law on 31 October 2014 due to injury - still ride it occasionally
    2003 YZ265WR (WR426 trans except YZ250 2nd gear) with 2005 Slavens revalved AOSS forks - backup bike
    2003 KX125 with KDX220 motor & 2006 YZ250F SSS forks - added Rekluse EXP 3.0 designed for YZ125
    1979 Maico 250 Magnum - this bike is terrific!
    Many, many bikes until now...
    1963 Harley 175cc Scat - 1st motorcycle

ever look inside your radiator opening at the cap while your bike is idling, then give it a little gas ? My personal opinion, is the aftermarket water pump kits are a marketing gimmick. There is a LOT of water flowing through these radiators, even at idle, with stock water pumps. I think these Austrian guys have this thing pretty well sorted out. my 2c.. opinions are like .. well.. we know.
    FTR harescrambles SrA #9, CCS roadracing #1 plate holder for 2017 and 2018
    2019 ktm 250xcf, 2018 250 ktm xcf (2 of them) , 2016 ktm 350xcf, 2014 ktm 350 xcf
    pair of wicked yamaha r6 road race bikes
    https://www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Originally Posted by andrewgc
    What increases the heat transfer out of the radiator the most???
    Faster flow rate which means the coolant is not in the radiator as long and therefore removes less heat per trip thru the rad.
    Or slower flow rate meaning the coolant is in the radiator longer which removes more heat per trip thru.
    I don't know the answer as I didn't "shine" in both Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer, as KTMTalk "mconnell" can testify as he was sittin right next to me in those classes!!!
    Dr A. Haji-Sheikh would be disappointed!
    andrew

So I took fluid dynamics as part of my engineering degree. To increase heat transfer you would want to increase Raynolds number. Raynolds number is a measurement of how turbulent the fluid flow is, increased turbulence means increased Raynolds number. Basically....you want TURBULENT flow through a system and not laminar flow. I THINK increasing the flow rate of a system would also increase the turbulence...but I cant remember exactly
    I can't remember either, and I don't feel like pulling out my textbooks from the last century to figure it out . IMO, the factory engineers (both automotive and motorcycle) spend a lot of time designing a pretty good cooling system, and it would be hard to make noticeable improvements. IMO, replacing KTM's OEM plastic water pump impellor a metal impellor, of the same design helps reliability more than cooling. Without any instruments to take accurate measurements, all my experience is anecdotal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12