Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I get knee braces? What do you recommend?

Default Re: Should I get knee braces? What do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeythrottleenduro View Post
    I thought the custom CTI braces would be the best. The price tag was $3,800. Even using two years of health rebates I was still looking at $2,000.
    Iím confused. Are you saying that you paid the $2000 and didnít like them or since you had to pay $2000 you passed on them? If I had to pay $2000 for knee braces, Iíd definitely pass on them. My insurance will cover them 100% because of previous injuries. So Iíd like to get a pair. I know Jeb really likes his.
    2018 500 watt Microwave *my go to*
    1980 Wife *Barely gets ridden*
    1979 Coffee Maker *SOLD*

2.    Sponsored Links

I've been using Asteriks braces for over 10 years after an MCL scare told me I needed better protection. I wear them EVERY time I ride or ski and don't really even notice them anymore. Just purchased a pair of EVS Pros to replace them, newer technology and I was impressed with the construction. The Asteriks were the older lace up versions and the EVS's use Velcro straps which for me is much more comfortable. The EVSs are slightly larger but not anymore invasive than the Asteriks, after a couple minutes I didn't really even notice them anymore. Glad I got them and they feel more protective.
    DK

The price tag was $2,000 using two years of health insurance rebates (meaning I won't receive other rebates in that category) so I passed on them and bought the Asterisk for $1,000.

If your insurance will cover 100% of the cost look at CTI or Donjoy. It's all about the fit.

I've got multiple stories about stories about people saying how good the CTI are as well as knee injuries while wearing the CTI and never wearing them again. The question that I always ask in those bad situations is about the fit and if any brace would have prevented that type of injury.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post
    Iím confused. Are you saying that you paid the $2000 and didnít like them or since you had to pay $2000 you passed on them? If I had to pay $2000 for knee braces, Iíd definitely pass on them. My insurance will cover them 100% because of previous injuries. So Iíd like to get a pair. I know Jeb really likes his.
    Yes, I do like the CTi's. I have 2 pairs of them now. My old set was getting a little worn after 15 years or so of using them, and my insurance still covers 100% DME, so I got a new pair late last year. I'm not sure what they actually cost the insurance company. I wear them every time I ride.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    "Home of the free, because of the Brave"
    19 250 TPI, 14 250XCW Six Days, The Torch (06 300XCW KTMtalk magazine bike), 98 125EXC
    Gone: 08 250XCW, 07 200XC, 06 300XCW, 04 250EXC, 03 450EXC, 01 400EXC, 99 250EXC, 98 380MXC, 98 200EXC
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My How-to's, KTM bulletins, etc.
    My KTM picture pages
    Razorback Riders Motorcycle Club
    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
    Wudi Forum

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 211 View Post
    The Mobius looks bulky and uncomfortable.
    Actually, they are quite comfortable. I've been riding with the Asterisk Ultra-Cell brace with the BOA ratchet lace system for the last four years. This summer, one of the mount tabs that attach the fabric portion to the carbon fiber brace portion broke before a couple of big rides. Asterisk said they could refurbish it, but not in the time frame I needed, so I went to a big accessory superstore in Denver to try on a bunch of braces and ended up with the Mobius. They are actually more comfortable than the Ultra-cell. The Mobius has much better padding. When on the bike and riding, it's a wash between them in terms of comfort. After a point you kind of forget you're wearing a brace. But.... any time you have to scrabble around on the ground, say changing a tire or making a repair, the Mobius is WAAAY more comfortable. It actually becomes pleasant to kneel again, something I could never say about the Asterisks which are on the thin side with respect to padding. On the flip side, the Asterisk carbon frame is really strong which I'm convinced once saved me from a broken leg in an ugly get-off where my leg was slammed between the bike and a boulder. Not sure the Mobius has that kind of strength. Also, the Mobius seems a bit hotter - but also does not leave as many weird flesh indentations as the Asterisk does when I peel it off at the end of the day. I now have the refurbished Asterisks back, so I'll be doing some more ride comparisons next season to see which end up as my go-to braces.
    Last edited by brush; 11-06-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    2010 300 XC-W

I bought the old lace up Asterisks 10 years ago after my first blown knee. kind of bulky on the seat sides though, so after my other blown knee was ride-worthy I tried the leatt c-frames, love them and can recently attest to their crash worthiness. Way more comfy!
    2016 TE300
    1999 200 EXC

I bought the POD's after a long run with the Asterisk, to try something new. So now I am hating the velcro on the POD, it catches on the pants, super annoying. I recommend that you go with the Asterisk, excellent product.
    '17 6 Days 300XC-W, '14 500XC-W, '12 300XC-W, '07 FZ1000 Yamaha

Not to discount knee braces, but my ortho surgeon who fixed both my knees last year recommended against knee braces. Using NFL stat he said that they helped if an injury already existed but there was no stats to show that they prevented injury. I have some big GII braces for skiing but rely on my Leatt dual hinged knee guards for riding. While not a brace they do pretty good for protection. The only downside I could see of using knee braces is transferring the injury to your hip. Cam.

Images

I think the biggest danger with knee braces is breaking a femur. So, would you rather break a femur or tear an ACL? Tough call.
    Ken Powell
    2018 KTM 250 XC-W
    2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in WP forks - Sold to son-in-law on 31 October 2014 due to injury - still ride it occasionally
    2003 YZ265WR (WR426 trans except YZ250 2nd gear) with 2005 Slavens revalved AOSS forks - backup bike
    2003 KX125 with KDX220 motor & 2006 YZ250F SSS forks - added Rekluse EXP 3.0 designed for YZ125
    1979 Maico 250 Magnum - this bike is terrific!
    Many, many bikes until now...
    1963 Harley 175cc Scat - 1st motorcycle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123