Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Krooztune xplor fork kit

KTMTalk Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Krooztune xplor fork kit

Quote Originally Posted by Betschet View Post
    If you want to use a rebound stack on both sides you need to plug the holes in the compression side or replace it with one form the other side about 40 bucks for the part the holes only effect the rebound function .
    Not entirely true, the holes also effect comp. Rod displacement has little to no effect and is just being relieved by the holes. I would think you will have to run a very tight to no float to get results, otherwise it will be just like stock but with a shim stack. Will be interesting to see where you end up. I think I would plug the holes with this kit if it were me.

On my 500 with the xplor forks comp side (holes still in) I run a setup that has a spring blow off on the mid (stock style mid no reb), and it only blows off to around .3 float. It works really well. I still had to add more comp to the base on the reb side for more low speed. I never did try it with no float. SO what I'm saying is with the holes still there you might be down on low speed comp until you close the float off.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member
    Images

I donít think the holes do much on compression the only effect I can see is the blow by from the Mv piston can escape but I donít think it would make much difference. The fluid is still Forced thru the base and Mv on compression and on rebound the Mv is just a check valve due to the design of the stock plunger type valve they were unable to control rebound os they opened the holes due to the short comings of that valve. Guess that might be a thing to test on my next service or shim change if needed.

KTMTalk Member
    Blog Entries

The holes make it so the oil flow has a choice, always choosing the least amount of resistance. With no holes it's more of a controlled environment. The displacement of the rod has to go through the base valve and the rest of flow is through the mid. So with the slightest bit of float with the holes and the oil will flow through the opening giving little to no low speed dampening. The dream of having adjustable float is with no holes IMO.

Also I don't agree that they added the holes due to the short coming of the valve. It's all by design and a good idea on paper but just wasn't executed to greatness. Some call it fixed orfice valving and that is wrong too. With the holes filling in behind the valve it's just a variable orfice valve that pushes oil through the base valve. The smaller the orfice (from top adjuster) the more oil will get pushed through the base and lower in the speed range.

KTMTalk Member
    Images

Ok if the stock valve pushes the oil thru the bottom valve then why wouldn't a shimmed piston do the same thing it uses the same seal ring as the stock valve. the shims restrict the oil flow pushing it thru the base valve and allowing some thru it also. just my opinion.

Images

Ok if the stock valve pushes the oil thru the bottom valve then why wouldn't a shimmed piston do the same thing it uses the same seal ring as the stock valve. the shims restrict the oil flow pushing it thru the base valve and allowing some thru it also. just my opinion.
    I may be wrong but I thought the MV does NOT push oil through the BV. The cartridge rod displaces the oil through the BV. So difference sized cart rods make the BV have more or less effect.
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

KTMTalk Member
    Blog Entries

Dale above is correct, think of it as displacing oil from the rod entering the cartridge. That oil has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is the base valve. With the holes you can think of it as you described, pushing. Like a cylinder with oil in the middle and a valve on each end moving towards each other. It's going to behave differently so you have to look at it differently. And to get low speed dampening you'll need 0 float on your mid-valve. And pretty much all great setups in my experience have a decent amount of low speed dampening. You do have some low speed from the other side (base valve), not sure how you have that setup though. But looking at the big picture, what is your goal here? Im sure it isn't to add mid to high speed dampening with no low speed...? But test it out and see what you think, that's what its all about.

KTMTalk Member
    Images

For the oil to go thru those holes during compression it has to get by the piston at home trying to push your fork by hand more oil weíll get by but out ridding the speed that the fork travels I really donít think the holes affect it much during compression. Next time I work on them as a test I well replace the cone with one without the holes and see for sure. There are a few kits out there that do almost the same most notable Dal Saggio XP1. Havenít had time to test it my wife is on her second knee replacement in two years fun stuff.
    Last edited by Betschet; 11-15-2019 at 12:39 PM.

KTMTalk Member
    Blog Entries

The XP1 runs no float with holes.

What does KREFT run on there revalve control...? No holes.

Looking forward to hearing about your tests.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234