Thread: Countershaft opinions

Default Countershaft opinions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_452382522072587.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	33197

Need some advice here. I know finding new countershafts is probably never going to happen. Curious if I should attempt to use some of that green loctite stuff or just weld a new sprocket on and hope for the best. There is a decent amount of play with the new sprocket on there. I am returning the renthal I purchased and trying to find a KTM OEM front sprocket. Any advice is appreciated.

2.    Sponsored Links

Default Re: Countershaft opinions

You can weld it and run it as long as the sprocket lasts, if you do hook the ground lead to the sprocket NOT to the chassis of it will be arching thru bearings
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

Dave do you have any shafts left?

Blog Entries
    Images

are you sure that someone who is experienced in rebuilding rfs engines should not do yours? My long ago results with sending parts out was pretty good.

fast forward. Long use and previously been apart and normally incorrectly reassembled engines really need a experienced builder for reliability.

those same people may have the no longer available internal engine parts.

As an example i have an experienced Honda dealer mechanic rebuilding a personal watercraft for me right now.

i have and have read and studied the shop manual. Could I do this myself. Almost certainly.

do I want to? No. The skills needed to insure 100% reliability are worth me paying a pro. At a dealer. Retail.

And I have ground up rebuilt quite a few PWCs over many years.
    Rfs DocBob

Current: 525 exc to 565 exc
    05 450 mxc bottom end to a 565 finished
    600 Exc to 613 finished

ALL rfs models available....

2004 613 rfs titled
    2002 520 rfs titled
    2005 483 rfs titled
    1996 620 lc4 titled
    (2)2007 613's in the works

yes, for shop jobs only
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

Blog Entries
    Images

As do I
    Rfs DocBob

600 Exc to 613 finished

2004 613 rfs titled
    2002 520 rfs titled
    2005 483 rfs titled
    1996 620 lc4 titled

I've cut up 15 thin strips of a cheap feeler gauge (to get the right thickness) to fill the gap between spline and sprocket. Seems to be working. Don't know how long it will last but it stops the slop/play which in my opinion will mean continued wear. I did this recently as my latest and greatest idea to stop the wear becoming worse.

I noticed my spline wearing slightly at 50hrs. It's at 212 hrs now and no more of the spline is worn. In that time I just green loctited the sprocket on, made sure chain was adjusted properly, washer was pushing against sprocket and a cush hub wheel - but I have barely used the cush wheel. I was very concerned at the time but not so much now. For me it's managable and won't bring about a premature engine rebuild at this rate.
    I will try and update my original thread with photos to illustrate.

I would really appreciate it you can get some photos of the feeler gauge you placed between the spline and sprocket!

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by reefrunner View Post
    I've cut up 15 thin strips of a cheap feeler gauge (to get the right thickness) to fill the gap between spline and sprocket. Seems to be working. Don't know how long it will last but it stops the slop/play which in my opinion will mean continued wear. I did this recently as my latest and greatest idea to stop the wear becoming worse.

I noticed my spline wearing slightly at 50hrs. It's at 212 hrs now and no more of the spline is worn. In that time I just green loctited the sprocket on, made sure chain was adjusted properly, washer was pushing against sprocket and a cush hub wheel - but I have barely used the cush wheel. I was very concerned at the time but not so much now. For me it's managable and won't bring about a premature engine rebuild at this rate.
    I will try and update my original thread with photos to illustrate.
    At 212 hours your intakes will have sunken quite a bit into the head rounding the seats quite a bit.

the blow back into the intake tract causes motor heating issues and needs richer jetting to compensate.

ring is approaching its wear limit by that many hours.

a physical examination of the intake tract and/or a leakdown test is needed IMO.

bad sealing causes more noticeable power losses at low rpms than the upper range.

fix the intakes and depending on a cylinder measurement and piston exam a ring might be only needed.

normally the cylinder will need replating although from 30 million explosions
    Rfs DocBob

600 Exc to 613 finished

2004 613 rfs titled
    2002 520 rfs titled
    2005 483 rfs titled
    1996 620 lc4 titled