Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 350 vs 500

Default Re: 350 vs 500

I don't have much time on 500s to really compare but I have about 50 hours on a 2015 xcf-w six day 350 with the TR390 kit after 125 hours on it stock. The 390 kit required a fuel programmer as I missed the "reflash" date for the ecu so add that in to the kit price. The 390 feels the same to me handling wise and vibration wise and I feel revs as far and quickly as the 350 did. The bottom and mid is filled in a lot and it pulls harder with 14/52 than stock did with 13/52. I ride with a friend with a 2015 350 w and and I can often ride a gear higher even with the taller gearing and he says I pull about 2 bike lengths on him out of second and third gear corners usually unless he down shifts and clutches it and revs each gear almost to the rev limiter while I'm just nailing the throttle. He really likes the 390 and will put one on his when his needs a top end. He says mine feels like a " little 450" but to me it doesn't have quite that immediate pull of the larger bores which I like because it doesn't tire me like a 450 does. I really like the motor but I think of it as a big 350 and not a little 500. I don't really feel like there are any drawbacks to the 390 vs the 350 and think a new 400w would be an almost perfect bike for a lot of people.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Thanks. The 350 just lacks that bottom that I love. I usually ride a gear tall as well, use the bike's torque to add power earlier than usual. The 350 isn't familiar to me in that way. In BC a bike over 400cc more than doubles insurance costs....so I could pay back the cost of the big bore kit in about 2-1/2 years through ins savings over the 500. But I won't give up riding fun for any savings.

Quote Originally Posted by shuswap111 View Post
    Thanks. The 350 just lacks that bottom that I love. I usually ride a gear tall as well, use the bike's torque to add power earlier than usual. The 350 isn't familiar to me in that way. In BC a bike over 400cc more than doubles insurance costs....so I could pay back the cost of the big bore kit in about 2-1/2 years through ins savings over the 500. But I won't give up riding fun for any savings.
    Have you rode a '17 and up 350? They definitely pull harder than the older engine. 450/500/530 riders are dropping like flies for the 350cc class bikes in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
    Have you rode a '17 and up 350? They definitely pull harder than the older engine. 450/500/530 riders are dropping like flies for the 350cc class bikes in this area.
    No experience with anything later than the stock 2016 EXC-F 350. I didn't realize later versions produced more power, especially in the mid range. My budget has me looking at earlier models than the '17 and up. Maybe the budget needs an update?

No experience with anything later than the stock 2016 EXC-F 350. I didn't realize later versions produced more power, especially in the mid range. My budget has me looking at earlier models than the '17 and up. Maybe the budget needs an update?
    The +17's are worth it just for the handling and lighter weight. The stronger engine is a bonus. Just be aware the newer bikes need to be uncorked and have fuel added to make them run to their full potential. Just tweaking the TPS is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
    The +17's are worth it just for the handling and lighter weight. The stronger engine is a bonus. Just be aware the newer bikes need to be uncorked and have fuel added to make them run to their full potential. Just tweaking the TPS is not enough.
    Thanks, I was unaware. Does that involve a new ecu (expense)? Hard to fathom me spending $1,000 on this without developing a twitch somewhere.

Thanks, I was unaware. Does that involve a new ecu (expense)? Hard to fathom me spending $1,000 on this without developing a twitch somewhere.
    No a JD Tuner will get you going. And we are in Canada, there are still ways to get a Euro map installed...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234