Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New KTM advice for cylinder relieve/plate

Default Re: New KTM advice for cylinder relieve/plate

yea. when they dont list the engine size things get confusing when we are supposed to interpolate what he has.
    i just thought it was a 300 but he says the piston measures 73mm which is 1mm oversize. That would mean the bore is also 1mm oversize in general terms. Does not mean the bore is worn though. i think the 200 is a 62mm or close to that. The older bikes had 250/300/380 and I do not know those sizes and don't feel like looking it all up. One of my main complaints is incomplete description when asking for help.
    Last edited by Victor; 11-30-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    Victor

2.    Sponsored Links

Hey guys. I've been building and tuning 2 strokes since 1969. The Nikasil bore that KTM uses is superior to the cast iron sleeves that were traditionally fitted in the old days. Heat transfer as mentioned in an earlier post is the primary reason, and you can also run the clearance a little tighter. That being said, a properly fitted iron sleeve can be a perfectly great repair. If your cylinder can be bored and honed to fit an existing piston, that is a good repair. The other option is to send the cylinder to a qualified shop to be resleeved and a new piston fitted. I've used LA Sleeve for decades to sleeve cylinders on both 2 and 4 strokes. Their work is first class, quick, and reasonable. I'm sure there are others out there who do great work as well.

My mistake. Not sure why I thought 200. Probably confused with a different post. 200 is 64mm bore. In that year a 300 was 72mm bore as you say

I apologize, I got my models mixed up. Mine is a 2001 KTM MXC not XCW. Stock bore is 72.00mm. Mine is at 73.00mm and I canít find anyone that sells a larger size piston.
    As far as I can tell my options are to: find another cylinder that isnít already maxed out or re sleeve my current cylinder and get a OEM size piston.

I have buddy who works at a machine shop near me who suggested finding another two stroke piston that is the next closest size overóhe offered to machine the piston to match the one that came out my bike and hone/ bore My current sleeve to fit the new piston ... however that seems a little far fetched to me. I got the bike for a pretty good deal, and I donít mind throwing a little bit of money at it to get it running right, but my options are looking pretty pricey. I canít really find many used cylinders online; and the ones I see are expensive AND hammered.

It sounds like these KTMs came nikasil plated from the factory, is that correct? If so then does this mean someone sleeved the cylinder at some point?
    Last edited by Maplebetty; 12-03-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maplebetty View Post
    It sounds like these KTMs came nikasil plated from the factory, is that correct? If so then does this mean someone sleeved the cylinder at some point?
    Yes to both.
    Andrew
    TOP END KITS for KTM 2 Strokes...

See the new Classifieds section: DEALER DEALS, for our top end kits.
    Vertex B top end kits for KTM 125 - 300, always in stock!!!
    We also have Vertex "A" size pistons (for replated cylinders only!).
    Proud to be a KTMTalk advertiser. Look for ad on the left side bar.
    Cooksey Crank & Engine

Email with questions:
    andrewgc1@verizon.net

Checkpoint Billet Aluminum water pump impellers in stock for all KTM 2 strokes, 2007 - 2020
    $59 and free shipping!!! Send PayPal to andrewpaypal@verizon.net

Still have Cometic clutch cover gaskets for 2004 - 2016 250/300's.

Here are some YouTube "how-to" videos to help you fix your own KTM 2T
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJ...qyOmg0vq0Mtxiw
    Andrew Cooksey, PE Texas 62100

Images

Check out current EBay item 323949328907, core cylinder for $150. Send it to power seal for repairs and replate, and sell your oversized cylinder on Ebay
    2015 Husky 350S, 2018 Ktm 300 xc, 1997 Jackpiner 200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12