Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 525 exc and its chassis Geometry

Default Re: 525 exc and its chassis Geometry

The E axel (a nice piece) can not alter degrees, that is offset which changes trail.
    Back to the original post
    Sorry to have to tell you this but by lowering the bike you hurt the bikes agility. A cycle is both balanced and steered by steering the tires contact patch out from under the Center of Mass (which some incorrectly call Center of Gravity. Thus the lower the center of mass the further you have to steer it to get it to turn. Real lesson on this to me was once I got a Harley is some swap deal I made and then took it for a ride, it steered ugly! Then I found it had some lowering deal that moved the lower shock mount, tossed that POS and enjoyed the ride. Low Center of Mass only is an advantage when you are stopped (when stopped you balance it with your body, when moving you balance it by steering the contact patch under the Center of Mass).
    Last edited by DJH; 12-02-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

2.    Sponsored Links

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Quote Originally Posted by DJH View Post
    The E axel (a nice piece) can not alter degrees, that is offset which changes trail.
    DJH is correct. I should have said +-3mm of trail

. A prior post mentioned 14mm offset triple clamps (20mm offset is stock). The SX and maybe the XC? had triple clamps that had an eccentric in them that altered the offset from 20 to 18 (I have a set if your drooling) but I did not feel either setting revolutionized the world.
    Dave, just double checking the stock EXC cast triples on the RFS are 20mm? I thought all the cast EXC triples were 22mm or is that just the newer bikes? Just picked up a set of the 18/20 triples from an 06 to try out and was going to run 20mm first, but if that's stock I'll go straight to 18mm.

My short stroke 400 definitely turns better than the 525s, even now that it's a big-bore 453 (same stroke), but still worlds behind a 500 (need to stop riding buddies bikes!)
    Last edited by FiveOJester; 12-02-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Dave
    '04 400EXC

2006 shows 20mm offset dimension X

present bikes
    2006 KTM 450 EXC
    2006 KTM 400 EXC
    1999 Kawasaki Concours
    1983 Husqvarna 250WR
    1968 Honda CT90 trail 90
    1971 Suzuki RV90
    1964 Honda CT200 Trail 90
    member Great Lakes dual sporters
    www.gldsmc.org
    AMA charter life member-663466A

District 14 ama- #0025

Thanks! Never noticed that in the parts fiche. Went thru the parts fiche for different years and found that they kept the 20mm offset all the way thru 2015 and changed to 22mm in 2016 which they are still using on the newest bikes. At least the EXCs. Didnít check the other models.
    Dave
    '04 400EXC

Back to the original post
    Sorry to have to tell you this but by lowering the bike you hurt the bikes agility. A cycle is both balanced and steered by steering the tires contact patch out from under the Center of Mass (which some incorrectly call Center of Gravity. Thus the lower the center of mass the further you have to steer it to get it to turn. Real lesson on this to me was once I got a Harley is some swap deal I made and then took it for a ride, it steered ugly! Then I found it had some lowering deal that moved the lower shock mount, tossed that POS and enjoyed the ride. Low Center of Mass only is an advantage when you are stopped (when stopped you balance it with your body, when moving you balance it by steering the contact patch under the Center of Mass).
    See also: 1984 Honda NSR500:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/0...kevin-cameron/

"The axis of roll rotation is therefore above the ground, and, in fact, passes through the machineís center of mass, just as it does in the case of an airplane. Aha! Now, everything was clear. A conventional tank of fuel was closer to the roll axis of rotation than was a tank of fuel slung beneath the engine. That is why the conventional NS500 Triple was more maneuverable than the ďadvancedĒ NSR500 of 1984."

BP
    Last edited by Brtp4; 12-02-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Dave - I donít understand your comment. The e-axle moves the axle forward or backward relative to stock location. Trail is measured as the difference between the imaginary line of the forks hitting the street relative to the imaginary straight line down from the axle hitting the street. So, moving the axle certainly increases or decreases trail - the offset of the triple clamp would change the relationship too. Since itís the relationship of the two that determines trail, either moving the triple clamp angle or the axle location would both be able to affect trail.
    2004 450exc

Made some changes, lowered the fork tubes from the top line down 12 mm. Went out and rode some tight singletrack and wow a huge difference bike steers much easier. I also lightened up the compression mid ride and it got even better. 11 clicks front and back.
    I did notice much stiffer steering after getting the bike lowered 1 inch but the seat height was to high for my type of riding. Winter is starting to set in up here so not much more opportunity for test rides now but next step would be to raise the back up a tad.
    07 525 exc

This e axle sounds interesting. Any first hand experience out there with one on a 525 exc?
    07 525 exc

I use it on my 04 Exc, but no experience on the 525.
    2004 450exc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast