Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 525 exc and its chassis Geometry

Default Re: 525 exc and its chassis Geometry

Did it make a significant difference and which way did you go with with the offset? Thanks
    07 525 exc

2.    Sponsored Links

It wasn't a huge change, but it did let me tailor manners a little more to my liking. I am in southern NJ and ride sand and sugar sand mostly; not really tight stuff so much. I added trail for some additional straight line stability and I liked the result. I did play around with it some in a tighter section and found I could make felt changes the opposite way as well to make it turn a little quicker. Don't expect gigantic changes in your handling, but to fine tune a little it's nice.
    2004 450exc

Not expecting big changes from a couple degree offset for sure. Had a significant diffrence when I dropped the fork tubes just have not rode enough to figure out the negatives of that change yet. This e axle may just be the fine tune to get the most out of this bike without breaking the bank.
    07 525 exc

Correct Eaxel or triple clamp offset both alter trail NOT rake (aka Caster)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldthymer View Post
    Dave - I donít understand your comment. The e-axle moves the axle forward or backward relative to stock location. Trail is measured as the difference between the imaginary line of the forks hitting the street relative to the imaginary straight line down from the axle hitting the street. So, moving the axle certainly increases or decreases trail - the offset of the triple clamp would change the relationship too. Since itís the relationship of the two that determines trail, either moving the triple clamp angle or the axle location would both be able to affect trail.
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

Right. Rake is determined by the frameís steering head. The rake vs axle is caster on a bike, but what confuses is that relationship creates trail... which gives the caster effect of self centering. Lol. The terms always bake your noodle when discussing suspension until you are used to it.
    2004 450exc

Front wheel on a grocery cart has "caster" with no rake
    When you crash odds are pretty high that you just ran outta "trail"
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234