Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RK TEK head and new concept piston 2017 300 xcw test.

Default Re: RK TEK head and new concept piston 2017 300 xcw test.

I know what some are saying about converting a too snappy 300 back to a 250. In fact, today I rode a 250 F I Husky back to back with my 2017 300 and Rk Tek head and test piston. The 250 f i Husky had a rekluse the 300 with Lectron manual clutch. I liked my 300 better. The F I 250 felt a lot like the 17 300 lectron carbed bike before the head and piston. really smooth and plenty of power. But with head and piston I liked the older 17 300 better. Just easier to pull from really low rpm and short shifting. I was considering changing my 2011 300 sxs back to 250 to smooth it out but not after the rk tek head and piston was installed. It still makes more power than I need but just more manageable. I believe that new head/piston setup on a carbed 250 would be the best of both worlds. I believe it would give the old carbed 250 bikes just the smooth pulling grunt it lacks.
    Last edited by Victor; 11-30-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    Victor

2.    Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Kels View Post
    Just to be clear.. the piston pic posted is NOT the new piston.. Not sure what piston that is? Again.. NOT the piston that is the topic of this thread..

KIMDN.. this is NOT a new concept or set up.. It is one we have been using for many years. It is just a different implementation of an EXISTING set up.. We know what part contributes to what power..

We have 2 DIFFERENT pistons that will be offered.. One will be a direct replacement (with OEM short comings addressed)and the other will require a head.

Both pistons address the OEM shortcomings..
    Oh Kels, don't take yourself so serious. It was just a simple poke at your UNIQUE style of posting. Plus, I feel I have contributed a fair amount on here over the years WITHOUT trying to get into member's pockets. GLWS
    20 TX300
    19 TE300

I'm at 77 hours, at 100 or so I will put a new piston in so watching this thread. I already have the "Cheater" head mod and my 2019 300 is jetted well and runs strongly.

Curious as to how the powerband changes will play out.
    2019 KTM 300XC

Kel, do you have these "special" pistons patented?
    '08 200XC
    '07 200XC
    '03 300EXC
    Meteor MC

I'm interested to see what Kels comes up with here. I have one of his sleeper heads (cut stock casting) and it's insane.
    Kenny Schipper
    7kmachine.com

Has this piston been tested in a 300 TPI yet
    2020 300XCi street legal
    Trek Farley and Surly KM
    Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan - Life Member
    AMA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    Has this piston been tested in a 300 TPI yet
    Yes TPI tested as well
    www.2strokeheads.com

We ride them all!!

"THE KELS"

I've had the bullet head on my 2012 300xcw for quite a few years now. The bike runs great with it and I can ride a gear higher even with two teeth smaller on the rear sprocket. I mostly ride technical single track, no high speed desert stuff and this setup work awesome. I'm do for a new piston and wish I knew about this sooner as I have already purchased the top end kit from Andrew. I'm curious though as to what gains can be made with just adding this new piston being I already have the bullet head.

Kels, any insite on that question? Also I'd be willing to test the new piston with my already installed RK bullet head and give an honest review of what gains are to be had.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker65 View Post
    I've had the bullet head on my 2012 300xcw for quite a few years now. The bike runs great with it and I can ride a gear higher even with two teeth smaller on the rear sprocket. I mostly ride technical single track, no high speed desert stuff and this setup work awesome. I'm do for a new piston and wish I knew about this sooner as I have already purchased the top end kit from Andrew. I'm curious though as to what gains can be made with just adding this new piston being I already have the bullet head.

Kels, any insite on that question? Also I'd be willing to test the new piston with my already installed RK bullet head and give an honest review of what gains are to be had.

John
    John

There are 2 different pistons with different specs. 1 piston adds significant power while the other is more about addressing the OEM shortcomings.

Appreciate the offer for testing.. but we have them all tested.

Please to hear you still love the head and it is giving you the promised performance.
    www.2strokeheads.com

We ride them all!!

"THE KELS"

I have nothing tom offer other than, I was doing the relieved piston edge 40 years ago on my 125's. I had several piston with differing cut aways for different tracks and the powerbands that worked best.
    We also shaved transfer port inlet side and enlarged the window and added a second window.
    We also machine a set of tapering grooves into the cylinder, above and that led down to the exhast port, to get better scavenging without sacrificing bottom end too much.
    That trick I learned from Keith McCarty, himself while being a pain in the *** 16 year old at a national and snooping around the Yamaha factory van.
    He showed me some other proting trick they did on the yamahas, like drilling a hole from the reed block passage, directly into the transfers.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast