Thread: When You Haven't Ridden Your Vintage Big Bore In a While....

Userid

Default When You Haven't Ridden Your Vintage Big Bore In a While....

...everything is x10 than it was since the last ride out and goes something like this.

It's been since summer when I had the bike out last but it's was stored away properly with fuel drained, etc. With some time off between the holidays and knowing riding season isn't just right around the corner again, I thought it might good to run a little fuel through it, go through the gears, and lubricate those crank seals.

If you ride these regularly or after you get some good miles in during a ride, your confidence grows in terms of starting, opening the throttle, etc.

But when you haven't ridden the aforementioned winemaker in a while it goes something like this.....

You climb over the seat and realize just how tall that kick starter is again...

The resistance of kicking that lever over seems to have grown 10x in magnitude since that last ride...

Any sort of confidence you had kicking it over went out the window. Probably out of intimidation, you begin kicking it with "half kicks" which you're quickly reminded of, DON'T WORK. But, the bike gives you a clue that it wants to go when you hear small fires through the pipe.

You take a little break to gain confidence and tell yourself, "kick it like you mean it." Give it your all. That's the only way. With a bit of aggression and determination this time, you go over and you give it your all and she fires on the first kick!!!

Your soul feels like you accomplished some extraordinary; you are truly left with a sense of great reward.

You are soon reminded of just HOW LOUD it is. So loud in fact idling at the edge of your open garage door that you reach over to your tool chest cabinet and slip on the ear protection that you use for the leaf blower or lawn trimmer.

That last little jetting change you did over the summer did wonders. You sit back and admire this big 1980s era 500cc pounding away all on its own on a cold upper 30s/low 40s (F) late morning. It almost seems like it shouldn't, it's not Japanese. But it is. Nice. In fact, you look the bike over for any leaks while running and don't see any. Even better. But don't forget, with all that HP banging away means the bike walks a bit on its side stand so you remember to grab the near by block of wood to block the wheel to keep it parked in one spot.

As the seconds quickly pass by, it's like a ticking alarm clock is soon waiting to go off; only that "alarm" is the assumption of the cops showing up at your driveway. So, you realize time is probably limited and most of all, how far this bike is out of its element when not in an open class setting.

As you go for a little cruise around the neighborhood you are amazed at just how much the bike rides itself. All you need to do basically is just shift the gears with hardly any throttle input only it makes you wonder if this really gets the bike up to operating temp or cleans the plug off properly.

Gahhhh. Alright, 'nuff of that. You might as well be trying to limp a blown alcohol pro street car around the streets by the way this thing acts. The bike is now angry at you for trying to do such a thing it wasn't designed for at all. It must. make. power. Ok, so you have no other choice but to oblige but you're seriously pushing your limits here on that alarm clock going off. But you do know of a fairly secluded spot. As you begin to open the throttle up 1/4 way, the rear tire lights up like it were on an ice rink due to the semi-damp and cold pavement. Just for good measure, you grab another higher gear, attempt a very quick half throttle burst just for good measure and.... yup.... I think that's enough. Uh huh. Not sure if I got to half throttle but...um. Let's settle things back down to Earth, shall we? I'd like to make it back in one piece, please, on this here death machine.

You get back to the garage and when you shut it off, you'd think the end of a civil war just ended by the silence. You then shut the garage door even before you pull your helmet off to conceal the evidence. To calm your nerves and shaking hands, you pull up a chair to admire the bike while it cools off consumed with your favorite flavor of 2-stroke exhaust.
    Last edited by KTMRider89; 12-29-2019 at 07:49 PM.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Default Re: When You Haven't Ridden Your Vintage Big Bore In a While....

Quote Originally Posted by KTMRider89 View Post

As you begin to open the throttle up 1/4 way, the rear tire lights up like it were on an ice rink due to the semi-damp and cold pavement. Just for good measure, you grab another higher gear, attempt a very quick half throttle burst just for good measure and.... yup.... I think that's enough. Uh huh. Not sure if I got to half throttle but...um. Let's settle things back down to Earth, shall we? I'd like to make it back in one piece, please, on this here death machine.
    That's awesome Rider. Brings back memories, not all of them pleasant :-)

Your nearby neighbors probably think you are a crazy A-hole, (maybe you are) but what do they know?
    You're in a small club. Not many current dirt bike riders have ever gotten the chance to "enjoy" that well tuned open 2 stroke WFO experience. It's a rush for sure.

My buddy described my 86 as "Evil". I think he might have been right. I had to richen the pilot jet to mellow it out after perfectly dialing it in, it was just too much in the trees where we ride.

PS: Are you on the bike or beside it when kickstarting? Left foot kick starting can be difficult, but you're right, if you are committed in your kick, she'll fire right up. If not, she might bite.

I had the stock Bing carb with a "tickler" so it was easy to fire when cold, but you'd better mean it. Half hearted kicks often resulted in a very sore foot.

PPS: Did you Locktite everything?
    '68 Bultaco Lobito 100 -Long gone
    '71 Hodaka Super Rat-Gave it away!
    '71 CZ250-Sold after 39 years! Ow
    '76 Maico 250 AW-Gone
    '83 Honda CR250R-Gone
    '86 500MXC Wicked -Gone
    '87 Cow KDX200 Gutless-Gone
    '91 300MXC Goat-Gone
    '97 360SX Pipey .....-Gone
    '00 380EXC Sweet-Gone
    '04 525EXC My 1st 4T. It's like cheating!-Gone
    '05 525EXC Barn find, barely broken in -Gone
    '13 500XC-W Nice bike, like new. Plated!

Userid

That's awesome Rider. Brings back memories, not all of them pleasant :-)
    I don't doubt it!!
    You're in a small club. Not many current dirt bike riders have ever gotten the chance to "enjoy" that well tuned open 2 stroke WFO experience. It's a rush for sure.
    It's unlike any other bike. I guess that's why I like it so much. I've owned and ridden many 'mainstream' bikes over the years and this delivers something unique.

My buddy described my 86 as "Evil". I think he might have been right. I had to richen the pilot jet to mellow it out after perfectly dialing it in, it was just too much in the trees where we ride.
    Crazy! It's not often an owner de-tunes their bike. That's just not something you hear very often but with one of these, it's understandable. So much so, the factory literature even tells you how to do it!

PS: Are you on the bike or beside it when kickstarting? Left foot kick starting can be difficult, but you're right, if you are committed in your kick, she'll fire right up. If not, she might bite.
    Working on my left kicks! I'd really like to master it. If I can't get it going while sitting on the bike, I'll use my right like standing off the bike.

I had the stock Bing carb with a "tickler" so it was easy to fire when cold, but you'd better mean it. Half hearted kicks often resulted in a very sore foot.
    Or a sore knee.

PPS: Did you Locktite everything?
    Between that and lock washers, it's been pretty good the past several rides.

Userid
    Images

Great reading!!!
    i can relate to all of it. Cheers!
    86 500
    91 500
    91 540
    92 550
    93 500
    19 300xc

Userid

Indeed. However having a water cooled BB 2 stroke fire up seems rather tame compared to an BB air cooled bike.

When I fire up my YZ465 it sounds and feels like everything within a dozen feet of the bike is vibrating apart.
    Suffer Fools, Gladly!

Riding the TAT?
    Check out my TAT SHAK Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/TAT-SHAK-105697757902214/

Pete P - wfopete@aol.com
    2006 300XC, 1980 YZ465, 1971 CZ250, 1973 Penton Jackpiner (2), 1970 Hodaka ACE 100, 1974 YZ250, 1973 CR250, 1985 XR350R, 1986 XR250R, 1974 TM400, 1975 TS400, 1974 Husky CR250, 2012 Yamaha Tenere', 1984 KDX200

Member:
    BRC Lifetime
    AHRMA
    AMA Lifetime
    CCC of Michigan
    Adventure Riders of Arkansas

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Yes, and when the first thing after not riding for a year you do is crack it wide open across a field, you would swear in the court of law you got from zero to 400 mph in 2 seconds.

Then you put the bike in the garage and think, I wonder how a 200 would be?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

There is just something about the rush, the sound, the smell. Lovely story. Big bore two strokes have a unique way to light up our senses. Great read!

Userid
    Images

Yep, thatís how it feels. Great write up. Thanks.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Exactly how it should be! Great bit of reading here. Cheers.