Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boot Help/Opinions

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: Boot Help/Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Thanks, good to know. My gut say's go with either the Forma or Gaerne. Then the A'stars, and Fox as my last option.
    When you get away from top of the line boots, the soles and support are more flexy, With standing on cleated pegs, I like a lot of rigidity

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I need some boots and want to spend under $300. Realistically looking at $250-$280ish. Been looking at closeouts/ on sale boots and need opinions on these three boots... Gaerne GX-1, Alpinestar Tech7, and Fox Comp R or 8. Any opinions of which of these would be the best choice? All range from $230-$280. Thanks for any input!
    I have had all those boots (I can't remember if I had the comp R or 8s), the GX-1s had little support and were worn out in about half a season, the Fox were comfy and had a little better support than the GX-1s but were shot in less than 2 months. The tech 7s made it a year before being completely shot, were pretty comfortable and had decent support.

I've had Formas that I had to warranty 3 times to make it a year, the shanks broke and stitching kept letting loose. My buddies that had a different model had the soles fall off.
    I've had alpinestars tech 5 and tech 3, they both were a little flimsier than I prefer but I was able to nurse both for about a year. I have Thor Ratchets now, they will probably take 2 pairs to last a year. They aren't the most comfortable boots but have a good balance of stiffness and weight.
    '18 300XCW,
    '18 TX300,
    '04 200SX
    '99 380EXC,
    '93 CR250

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I like the Gaerne G React boots. They fit great. My husband however does not like them because they have a large toe box. He prefers Alpinestar tech7. You should be able to find certain colors on sale to make them more in your price range.

Userid

For $300-ish, I suggest Forma Predators (Closeout colors only at this price point) or Gaerne Fastbacks.

GX-1s are good also, but the other two are a big step up.

Hope that helps.

BP

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Suva View Post
    I have had all those boots (I can't remember if I had the comp R or 8s), the GX-1s had little support and were worn out in about half a season, the Fox were comfy and had a little better support than the GX-1s but were shot in less than 2 months. The tech 7s made it a year before being completely shot, were pretty comfortable and had decent support.

I've had Formas that I had to warranty 3 times to make it a year, the shanks broke and stitching kept letting loose. My buddies that had a different model had the soles fall off.
    I've had alpinestars tech 5 and tech 3, they both were a little flimsier than I prefer but I was able to nurse both for about a year. I have Thor Ratchets now, they will probably take 2 pairs to last a year. They aren't the most comfortable boots but have a good balance of stiffness and weight.
    Question is why are you going through so many boots, my Thor T-30's I got 8 years and a lot of races out of them before the sole cracked but they were the HD solid rubber not the foam rubber sole like on the newer boots.
    present bikes
    2006 KTM 450 EXC
    2006 KTM 400 EXC
    1999 Kawasaki Concours
    1983 Husqvarna 250WR
    1968 Honda CT90 trail 90
    1971 Suzuki RV90
    1964 Honda CT200 Trail 90
    member Great Lakes dual sporters
    www.gldsmc.org
    AMA charter life member-663466A

District 14 ama- #0025

Userid

The Tech 7 alpinestars are very good boots. I have a pair and zero complaints.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    Senior A Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding and Gnarly trails

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

Userid
    Images

Sounds like a step up in quality would be a lot more cost-effective in the long run. They would last a lot longer.
    Are you riding twice a week?
    10 XCW250 (Mule 300) / 03 Beta 250 Rev
    01 EXC200/ 98Honda Blackbird
    03 EXC250 (2S) 18 XCW 300
    Old BMW Airhead & GS & R1100
    HD Electra Glide
    AMA Life Member
    BRC Coalition member

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikeace View Post
    Question is why are you going through so many boots, my Thor T-30's I got 8 years and a lot of races out of them before the sole cracked but they were the HD solid rubber not the foam rubber sole like on the newer boots.
    I know I'm hard on boots, I am a big aggressive rider and I don't have any other hobbies so I ride 200-300 hours a year, plus hiking around scouting for lines etc. Boots across the board are not built as well as they used to be and don't use as high quality of materials. I wear size 13 and prefer the molded soles to reduce my toes catching on things.

I forgot to add my experience with TCX boots, I tried the X-heliums and Comp Evo. Both were comfortable, The X-heliums lasted about six months, the Comp Evo about a year. The comp Evo is probably my favorite boot to date but they aren't enough better than the tech 7s to justify the price difference.
    Last edited by Suva; 01-14-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    '18 300XCW,
    '18 TX300,
    '04 200SX
    '99 380EXC,
    '93 CR250

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
    For $300-ish, I suggest Forma Predators (Closeout colors only at this price point) or Gaerne Fastbacks.

GX-1s are good also, but the other two are a big step up.

Hope that helps.

BP
    Somehow I've never heard of Gaerne Fastbacks, are they a newer line? How do they rate in protection compared to SG10s/12s? I've taken some impacts on my SG10s that I can't believe didn't break my foot. I like the price of the fastbacks, but doubt I could justify a lower level of protection.
    '17 250 XC
    '15 500 XCW

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus_Flat View Post
    Somehow I've never heard of Gaerne Fastbacks, are they a newer line? How do they rate in protection compared to SG10s/12s? I've taken some impacts on my SG10s that I can't believe didn't break my foot. I like the price of the fastbacks, but doubt I could justify a lower level of protection.
    Same with my 12's. There are places to save a buck head and feet are not it in my not so humble opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast