Thread: Should I want to buy a 990 Superduke?

Userid

Default Should I want to buy a 990 Superduke?

Odd title, I know. I kinda fell for the 990's, and feel like I should want a 1290, but just don't have the same desire. Not really into the 790s, either, but really want a 690, for whatever that's worth. Mind you, this is 100% emotion. I've yet to ride any of them! I've sat on 790's, 990's and 1290's. I've been looking for a super clean, low mileage 990, and have now found one with 3,600 miles, that seems pretty perfect. It's a long ways away. I'd love to ride one before making the trek. Does anyone regret selling their 990 for a 1290? Or happy that they switched to the older model, etc? Or is everyone pretty universally more fond of their 1290, than 990's?

Any insight in the matter would be greatly appreciated!

FWIW, I've ridden and owned tons of bikes, from mid-size sport bikes, couple of Harley's, a GSX-R 1000 and enduro's. Also ridden off road my whole life. So, I'm not worried about the 1290 being 'too much' bike for me. Also worth mentioning, I'm 6'2", 225 lbs, and mostly wanting a weekend bike to run around on, and take to 'track day' about half a dozen times a year. I want the more upright, neutral riding position of the naked bikes. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,
    Nik

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: Should I want to buy a 990 Superduke?

I really enjoy my 13 990 baja that I bought with 4000km last year. A 690 is still a dirt bike a 1290 is a traveling big street bike that can go off road is big and heavy but doing more street riding or highway doing big trips would work well. The 990 is a hooligan bike that really has raw character to it that makes you want to pin that throttle and let it bark. Pretty good around town and on the highway and pretty good off road actually really good off road for it size. Needs heaver fork springs, Aftermarket exhaust to get rid of cats and a lot of weight and I also did Li-Po battery. DE-smog to rid of emission stuff. G-2 throttle cam to smooth out efi a little and tires depending on what you want to do with bike. 990/950 seem to be holding there value for a reason. The newer bikes 1190/1090/1290/ all seem a little more comfortable and road orientated and you sit in them like a street bike. Where 990 kinda still feels like dirt bike a big one haha. Love mine so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WrFaPVTvTyWew0SWrzCSCA.jpg  

Userid

990 Superduke is a great bike, my biggest complaint was that my shoulders and wrists ache in a hour. A ton of fun though!

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Crawford View Post
    990 Superduke is a great bike, my biggest complaint was that my shoulders and wrists ache in a hour. A ton of fun though!
    That's REALLY interesting! I specifically wanted to stay away from a super sport type bike, because my old GSX-R 750 and CBR600RR both hurt my back. I wanted the more neutral positioning of a naked bike. Why is it, do you feel, that your shoulders and wrists hurt? The positioning on the bike?

Userid

I have broken 9 wrists and 6 shoulders, my back was fine, the bars and wrists just weren't happy together, bar risers may have made the difference, my SMT was too small for my tall frame, and SMR990 isn't far from the Superduke really. I still have a SMR R that I love, but also regret selling the Superduke, not the SMT.

Userid

Higher tuning on a Superduke than a SMT, great motor!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I'm finally going to get to try out a 1290 Superduke. Bought a kayak off a guy. Turned out to be really nice, he's joining our riding group. He said, the 1290 is pretty mellow on bottom end. Then, as revs rise, it starts to vibrate . Then all Hell breaks loose.
    I'm really interested in trying it out. All I have is a wimpy ZX14.

Mad
    MADDEVILL

Userid

The 1290 is one of the most comfortable bikes for me, best ergonomics for a fast bike every!