Thread: Tuner Decision

Default Tuner Decision

Iíve been researching the differences between Vortex and GET ecuís watching and or reading whatís available and I agree the ability to use your phone for fine tuning is a convenience. Without ever seeing the programming parameters I would have to imagine itís no different than tuning a street bike or automobile and myself with over 15 years of tuning street bikes, itís insulting when I watch a video and the guy explaining the operations of a GET says the actual programming is complicated and you wouldnít understand. He just insulted everyone who watches that video. IMO, tuning a dirt bike will be much easier to perfect as 95% of the riders are not changing cams, heads, throttle body or injector sizes, just freer flowing exhaust mostly.

The problem I see that keeps most everyone from tuning a dirt bike or even wanting to is the stupid cost to buy the ability to tune yourself. $700 for a Vortex and another $600 for the hardware to tune it. Thatís three times higher than what it costs to tune a street bike. I havenít looked to see if GET offers hardware that allows complete tuning but I presume it is as most pro teams are tuning their bikes.

The one thing that I like about the Vortex over the GET is you can use your stock handlebar switch with the Vortex. Tuning on the trail with your phone is something Iím not interested in as the variables they offer are so broad; 2000 rpm, 5000 rpm, 7500 rpm, ............thatís a broad rpm range to tune in between and unless your initial tune is totally botched, it would be hard to notice a change. I would imagine base map tuning is 250 rpm to 500 rpmís cells to adjust. Iím stubborn and do not like someone insulting my abilities so Iíll probably buy the Vortex then eventually buy the hardware to take a peak behind the curtain. When I do, Iíll screenshot what weíre all not able to understand compared to these genusís are doing for us.
    I enjoy tuning and testing so it will be money well spent.
    2020 Husqvarna FE501

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Default Re: Tuner Decision

Spending that much to tune a EFI dirtbike is not necessary for 99% of the riders out there. If you like to do it, and you enjoy playing with it, okay that's cool, but that's 500 plus bucks I can spend on tires. Once you set your bike up, to your liking, you are good to go and do not need to tune constantly or every ride. You can use a JD Jetting Tuner, BDSB tuner or Dobeck Tuner, all for 200-250 bucks. All 3 are the same basic units, just different base maps from the vendor of choice. On my 2020 500 EXC-F, I added a freer flowing end cap, got rid of the reeds and added a intake sleeve from BDSB and got rid of the vapor vacuum system and added the BDSB tuner. I used the base settings as recommended and it works fantastic.

I too have used many tuners over the years on my street bikes. I am using a Power Vision now on my Road King with a custom tune/dyno. It runs great. No need to mess with it unless I change something like intake or exhaust etc. If you are a racer, I get it, if you are a weekend warrior, set it up and ride. If you like to "play" around, okay, but I prefer good smooth throttle response, crisp delivery and good mileage, then I like to ride it and not mess with it again.

I do like piggy back tuners on dirtbikes because if they fail for some reason, you can just unplug them to get home. Don't want to invest in 700 bucks for a Vortex. Just don't think it is worth it for my application.
    Last edited by firebolter; 02-13-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    18 KTM 300 XC-W 6Days/20 KTM 500 EXC-F 6Days/19 TM EN250

I don't use piggy back tuners for anything. They work ok I guess but if I'm going to make enough changes to require a new tune, I'm going all in.

I finally found a video that provided information about a few differences between a GET and a Vortex. He wouldn't give numbers but he said the GET has a much higher processing speed than any other tuner on the market. That and the baro sensor has me thinking a GET is worth the extra money.
    2020 Husqvarna FE501

Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    I don't use piggy back tuners for anything. They work ok I guess but if I'm going to make enough changes to require a new tune, I'm going all in.

I finally found a video that provided information about a few differences between a GET and a Vortex. He wouldn't give numbers but he said the GET has a much higher processing speed than any other tuner on the market. That and the baro sensor has me thinking a GET is worth the extra money.
    it all starts with a good (Get) map, then the phone should be fine to tailor any difference . We've already seen the complaints with non top tier Get maps, So start with top tier.

Also if you get a top tier map, why do you need all the mapping software to reinvent the wheel, creating an entirely different map? Few would need that.

Quote Originally Posted by spud786 View Post
    it all starts with a good (Get) map, then the phone should be fine to tailor any difference . We've already seen the complaints with non top tier Get maps, So start with top tier.

Also if you get a top tier map, why do you need all the mapping software to reinvent the wheel, creating an entirely different map? Few would need that.
    Will you recommend a top tier map?

When I was tuning my street bikes, I would reprogram 10's of times trying to find best response, quickest starting, etc.........
    2020 Husqvarna FE501

Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    Will you recommend a top tier map?

When I was tuning my street bikes, I would reprogram 10's of times trying to find best response, quickest starting, etc.........
    https://tacomoto.co/

http://www.hpracedevelopment.com/

either of these have a several maps to choose along with purchase of ecu , maps all the same from either company.

Thanks!
    2020 Husqvarna FE501

Ordered a GET ecu only and a seat concepts seat though tacomoto. After my rant above I thought if I lived with Husaberg's for 10 years with only a euro map and could not have been happier, one map in a GET will be just fine. I really just want to get out there and ride, hence the new comfort seat......................
    2020 Husqvarna FE501