Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Found some cam wear whats your thoughts

  1. #1

    Default Found some cam wear whats your thoughts

    This is out of a 2011 450exc. I am working on a bike for a friend and found this wear on the large bearing surface, rollers and cam lobes. The pics look worse than you can actually feel. I still need to check and see it the oil jet is clogged or what may have caused this. The owner picked the bike up recently so we don't know if the previous owner ran it out of oil or just never changed it. Im thinking replace ieverything but ould we leave it and keep an eye on the oil during oil changes? There is no plan in the roller bearings or cm bearing that I can feel...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0212201737.jpg   0212201739.jpg  
    Tons of bikes many awesome rides and great friends all over the world. Retired from the Navy with 21 years in the Seabees with God riding with me every day.
    My Avatar is Kurt Caselli and my daughter at a National H+H. Rest in Peace Kurt.
    Sold the 2013 450sxf with a sixth gear added and 2016 4CS forks with Del Soggio Sphere inserts.
    Picked up a 2018 500exc from Chip and went nuts building it. Put the Sphere forks on it, Ohlins shock, Yosh pipe with a Vortex box and it rips.

  2.    Sponsored Links



    LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT


  3. #2

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    Looks like normal wear to me.
    While you are in there, inspect the DLC coating and wear spots on the rocker tips that contact the tops of the valves - I don't know if your motor has these magical (short-lasting) coatings, but my '14 500 does and the coating seems to wear away pretty fast. Also inspect your rocker shafts for wear - mine saw some rocker shaft wear that caused the valve lash to open/increase slightly.

    Looking forward to see others responses on your pictures.

  4. #3
    Lifetime Team KTMTalk Dale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lewisburg
    Posts
    5,382
    Images
    16

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    If you can't feel it I'd say looks normal. If you feel grooves then time to dig deeper.
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

  5. #4
    KTMTalk Member park5098's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oceanside & Blythe
    Posts
    7,395

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by InRoostWeTrust View Post
    Looks like normal wear to me.
    While you are in there, inspect the DLC coating and wear spots on the rocker tips that contact the tops of the valves - I don't know if your motor has these magical (short-lasting) coatings, but my '14 500 does and the coating seems to wear away pretty fast. Also inspect your rocker shafts for wear - mine saw some rocker shaft wear that caused the valve lash to open/increase slightly.

    Looking forward to see others responses on your pictures.
    When I had that motor I looked at the parts listings and I saw the rocker shafts were superceeded and easy to swap so I got those. I also saw a bunch of oil pump parts that were superceeded and I got those as well. That bike had over 24000 miles when I sold it and the top end was holding up real well. Yours looks fine. I use nothing but Motul 300V because Glenn Woodman of GWR (Father of the RFS engine) had said that was the only oil he would use in his world class race motors. Glenn currently works for Team Husky on their dominant side hack team.

    2020 500 Six Days Suspension by KreftMoto, Seat by Renazco Racing, GET powered with larger ThrottleBody and BDSB endcap.
    2015 500 XCW Euro Map, Full Dean Burke Motorsports Ohlins Suspension with Huck Valves in the forks
    2013 350 XCFW Vortex & A Kit SP Suspension ....lucky son

  6. #5

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    As of today (referencing Munn parts fich for '14 500), the only superseded parts I see are a few oil plugs - nothing on oil pump or rockers.
    Compared to earlier engines, the rockers have been updated on about '12-up rockers to allow better oil flow (i.e. adding a cheesy machined flat across the top of the rocker to help oil get to where its needed) - its better, but still could use improvement...

  7. #6
    KTMTalk Member park5098's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oceanside & Blythe
    Posts
    7,395

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by InRoostWeTrust View Post
    As of today (referencing Munn parts fich for '14 500), the only superseded parts I see are a few oil plugs - nothing on oil pump or rockers.
    Compared to earlier engines, the rockers have been updated on about '12-up rockers to allow better oil flow (i.e. adding a cheesy machined flat across the top of the rocker to help oil get to where its needed) - its better, but still could use improvement...
    My 15 500 has 622 hours and 17000 miles. It just got a top end piston/rings and new bore. The valve train looked perfect and I left it alone. It has not moved and all the parts look real nice. Great motor!

    2020 500 Six Days Suspension by KreftMoto, Seat by Renazco Racing, GET powered with larger ThrottleBody and BDSB endcap.
    2015 500 XCW Euro Map, Full Dean Burke Motorsports Ohlins Suspension with Huck Valves in the forks
    2013 350 XCFW Vortex & A Kit SP Suspension ....lucky son

  8. #7

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    Thanks for the input. I leaning towards just having the owner ensure he checks the oil for glitter and pops the tank and valve cover an compare pics occasionally for changes.
    Tons of bikes many awesome rides and great friends all over the world. Retired from the Navy with 21 years in the Seabees with God riding with me every day.
    My Avatar is Kurt Caselli and my daughter at a National H+H. Rest in Peace Kurt.
    Sold the 2013 450sxf with a sixth gear added and 2016 4CS forks with Del Soggio Sphere inserts.
    Picked up a 2018 500exc from Chip and went nuts building it. Put the Sphere forks on it, Ohlins shock, Yosh pipe with a Vortex box and it rips.

  9. #8
    KTMTalk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    827
    Images
    19

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    2011 was the last year of the carb and dual sump motors with separate crank case and transmission sumps. Some engines had an issue with oil migration (I am not saying that this bike has that problem). As a preventive measure, ask the owner to keep an eye on the oil level in the crankcase by checking the sight glass before each ride and measuring the oil when drained. These steps will help detect oil migration should it happen.

  10. #9
    Lifetime Team KTMTalk Dale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lewisburg
    Posts
    5,382
    Images
    16

    Default Re: Found sime cam wear whats your thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by beech View Post
    2011 was the last year of the carb and dual sump motors with separate crank case and transmission sumps. Some engines had an issue with oil migration (I am not saying that this bike has that problem). As a preventive measure, ask the owner to keep an eye on the oil level in the crankcase by checking the sight glass before each ride and measuring the oil when drained. These steps will help detect oil migration should it happen.
    That was mostly 08, but yes keep an eye because they also had a crap oil ring and engine side had less than a qt of oil.
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

  11. #10

    Default Re: Found some cam wear whats your thoughts

    Looks good to me, Should last a good while longer
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
    - General George Patton
    2016 500EXC
    2019 GasGas XC300
    2014 V-Strom 1000
    2017 GSXR 750
    2000 TL1000R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New to KTM some quick thoughts and fixes I found on site.
    By vinmangt in forum General Discussion (PUBLIC)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
  3. whats your thoughts on the Polini bikes ()
    By jerry559559 in forum KTM 50 discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
  4. Gas Prices (Whats your thoughts)
    By 380Freak in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 11:02 PM
  5. Astars Tech 2 (Whats your thoughts?)
    By 450trailrider in forum Riding Gear Discussions - Helmets, Boots, etc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •