Thread: MCL injury

Default MCL injury

Last saturday i took a direct hit with my knee falling to the side in a slippery place and felt something, just bad luck!!

For the record was wearing the POD K300 braces that i own for 9 or 10 years, they made absolute miracles along the way..but not last saturday lol

Just got my MRI results and the report says in less that 50% tear of the medial collateral ligament (inside part of knee), i assume it's between a advance grade 1 and lower grade 2 injury!?

I was very lucky, nothing else is damaged!

Was not a big deal by the opposite, i felt a pop when i hit the massive rock but i tough if could be the brace......just a little pain when riding back to the house when pressing the bike with the legs and shifting gears, got a little squezing pain also during the nigth untill i took some advil but no more untill this day, just hurts in Dr. manoveurs, palpation or bending it 50 to 70%.

Got the leg immobilized since monday, i feel no pain having it like this and just a very minor lower swell.

Anyone had similar injury? Recovery time and fisio procedures? Would be good to share experiences.

I'm a bit divided because the Dr. order something and the Fisio as a totally different approach....(red lines)

Just posted this in TP to see the opinion of the expert Dr. Mark.

"Hello,
    Just got my MRI results and the report says in less that 50% tear of the medial collateral ligament (inside part of knee), i assume it's between a advance grade 1 and grade 2 injury?
    No pain, i can walk straigth with full force and leg stabilization seems fine, just hurts a but in palpation and bending leg around 70 to 50%.
    Dr. told me to imobilize it up to 4 weeks but fisio as different approach and tells me he prefers to have the leg loose since the begining to make treatments and told me that the ligament will heal better in movement with the correct procedures.
    5 days after the knee issue just did some compex with heat treatments, tecar ( have great results healing with tecar as i'm a marathoner and former top AA rider in all sorts of injurys) and tissue massage? to reduce the little edema it as. (asked for no bending for now).
    Also have chondropathy grade 3 but it's a lot of years of pounding...will reeenforce all needd areas after this heals up.
    I'm a bit divided...what's your opinion Dr. Mark?
    I will upload all MRI's pictures if it can help.
    Thanks in advance,

Tiago"

I got the images of the MRI here for those who want and know how to see it..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3kdc7i74gkmmds/MRI.rar?dl=0

or here

https://www.rapidshare.com.cn/52FUnAx
    Last edited by car12; 03-12-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    19 KTM ​300 TPI - S3 Head - FMF Gnarly Powercore 2.1 🔥

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Images

Default Re: MCL injury

From my experience, you want to start rehab with nonimpact movement ASAP. I tore my ACL, MCL way back in 90. I completely tore both by dislocating my knee sideways playing basketball. Still cringe thinking about it.

MCL will heal on it own. I have reinjured my knee many times since and rehabbed it myself using a stationary bike. I did reinjure it a yr later and that required a scope. The pain feels like bad things are happening, but it is not. You do not want scar tissue building up. Work on strength of your leg muscles and range of motion. MCL is not bad and good that yours is not completely torn.
    2017 Husky TC 250
    2012 200XCW

Past bikes:
    '09 105 XC
    '08 85 XC
    '13 150 SX
    '14 200 W
    '15 150 SX, converted to 200 E start
    '08 65 XC
    '10 300 XC
    '13 350 XCF
    '05 200 EXC #2
    '06 200 W
    '07 85 SX
    '12 350 XCF
    '12 150SX, converted to a 200 SX/W
    '08 200 SXC
    '02 50 SA
    '08 65 SX
    '05 200 EXC
    '05 250 EXC
    '07 250 SX
    '07 250 SXF
    '06 300 XCW
    '04 300 EXC
    A big thanks to FTI Racing!

Quote Originally Posted by gmoss View Post
    From my experience, you want to start rehab with nonimpact movement ASAP. I tore my ACL, MCL way back in 90. I completely tore both by dislocating my knee sideways playing basketball. Still cringe thinking about it.

MCL will heal on it own. I have reinjured my knee many times since and rehabbed it myself using a stationary bike. I did reinjure it a yr later and that required a scope. The pain feels like bad things are happening, but it is not. You do not want scar tissue building up. Work on strength of your leg muscles and range of motion. MCL is not bad and good that yours is not completely torn.
    Thats must have hurted!! :/

I keep hearing that MCL needs 4 weeks to heal for itself and it does it very well (thank god), but with the leg immobilized between that period.

The fisio as a different approach...so i'm divided, he's good but seems a bit radical in some matters.

One thing is granted, reenforcing other muscles from the leg is very advisable to prevent atrophy, i just don't know if it's possible to do if i can't (or shouldn't) move the leg.

Let's see what Dr. Mark says in is professional opinion, will have a second opinion around here also.

Thanks for the input!

Dr Mark answer:

"An isolated grade 1/2 MCL without instability is best Minimally treated. Little more is necessary" "a grade one to two tear requires a pat on the butt and an ace bandage. Little more is necessary. Shouldn't miss more that a weekend.."

Very funny guy ahah and this are awesome news!

I prefer to be on the safer side as i'm a very cautious person, will continue fisio, reenforcement/gym, running and just after a while i will be riding my dirtbike hopefully in 2 weeks or so..

So.....

Gladly it all went good with my injury.

Spend 28 days with knee brace as we were in lockdown and wanted to be cautious as i didn't have acess to my physiotherapy as it was all closed.

After 28 days i took the brace, started riding the turbo trainer the next day, mobility exercices as the leg and knee were stiff, strengh exercices, compex stimulation to build up quads (i lost a lot of muscle mass) and TENS to the minor impression i had in the ligament (perhaps scar tissue), daily walking a first and after 12 days i was already gradually running.

Already rode twice my dirtbike, nothing too technical but it felt good, first one a little scary but second one showed i'm ok to do it.

Even if the injury was not bad as at least i didn't feel almost any pain it's an injury that takes it time to heal as i can see in several reports, i will say it's a 90% and getting better slowly.

This week i will finally have some sessions with my physiotherapist and make some useful treaments.

Wanted to say thanks to gmoss that i spoke trough PM's and he give me some useful tips!

Tiago