Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 450 XCW Stalling Issue

Default 2012 450 XCW Stalling Issue

I'm having an odd intermittent problem that just recently manifested itself.

Bike was parked after a ride in February (in which it performed fine)...I cranked it for a ride a few weeks ago and began having a stalling issue. The bike will crank, idle and rev fine...and if you roll off the throttle, it'll return to idle. If you chop the throttle or blip the throttle and it returns to idle quickly, it idles very low for a few seconds then dies.

If you kill the engine normally, it'll crank back up fine. If you try to start it after it's stalled, it takes several tries before it fires back up.

Yesterday I checked the TPS voltage (was .59, I moved it to .645), and checked the fuel filters (no filter at the TB, in tank filter/screen and inline Zip-Ty filter look clean), air filter is clean...it ran perfectly for a several hour ride. I geared up this morning for another ride, and it's back to stalling.

Today, I swapped the entire tank/fuel pump with one from another running bike and it still stalls.

I know it's hard to diagnose over the internet, but has anyone else had this type of issue?
    Last edited by kwb377; 03-25-2020 at 12:19 PM.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Default Re: 2012 450 XCW Stalling Issue

What is your fuel pressure? https://tacomoto.co/products/in-line...ressure-tester is very similar to what I made several years ago and you must have this in your tool box if you want to run a FI bike IMHO. Should run about 52psi at idle or beyond and after the bike is off, it should hold pressure and slowly drop down....this is a great way to ensure you don't have a cracked in tank filter.

If pressure is good, then I would send the fuel injector to ProFlow and have them clean it. They will provide a flow report, before and after. Look for Melkman as he used to own this business.

2020 500 Six Days Suspension by KreftMoto, Seat by Renazco Racing, GET powered with larger ThrottleBody and BDSB endcap.
    2015 500 XCW Euro Map, Full Dean Burke Motorsports Ohlins Suspension with Huck Valves in the forks
    2013 350 XCFW Vortex & A Kit SP Suspension ....lucky son

Images

Is your TPS still at .645....maybe its not secured tight enough and is slipping during the course of a ride.
    It's What They Don't Tell You That You Need To Know!
    2012 350 XCF-W..Love it!!!
    2004 Yamaha WR 450F..Great bike but heavy...Gave it to my son
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400..One season only...What an overweight pig!!
    1968 Triumph Daytona 500...Sadly, just sits in the garage
    1985 Suzuki GSX 550EF...Fast!
    1983 Honda CR250R...1st year for liquid cooling...Fantastic bike!
    1980 Honda CR250R...Great Machine
    1978 Can-Am 250 Qualifier...Rare..wish I still had it!
    1974 Yamaha DT 250...Indestructible
    1967 Triumph 650 Bonneville...My first love!...sorry Marcia
    1964 Matchless 750 G15...My first bike...What a beast!
    Honourable mention to my brother's 1965 Triumph Trophy 650...which I "borrowed" many times after school.

http://ktmtalk.com/album.php?albumid=51&pictureid=398
    ...My old rides in pix

Quote Originally Posted by traver View Post
    Is your TPS still at .645....maybe its not secured tight enough and is slipping during the course of a ride.
    Checked it again today...still at .645

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but I would have thought that would affect it under load instead of coming back to idle, and the spare tank/pump didn't change the issue.

With it fixing itself and reoccurring overnight, I've also checked various connectors.

Images

and the spare tank/pump didn't change the issue.
    Yes...if the tank and fuel pump setup in the new tank was working fine in its original bike before you swapped it...then that would have fixed the problem.

Hmmm...running out of ideas....here's a long shot....disconnect the ground strap on your battery....then thoroughly clean all the connection surfaces and tighten it back up real secure...see if that helps. Corroded and/or loose ground straps have been known to cause a number of different problems.

Here's another long shot...check your QD...are you positive its perfectly connected...ie you get a nice "snap" when you snug the twp ends together. If they're not properly connected...could lead to inconsistent fuel pressures.

Hopefully someone else on here can come up with better suggestions...but that's all I got for now.
    It's What They Don't Tell You That You Need To Know!
    2012 350 XCF-W..Love it!!!
    2004 Yamaha WR 450F..Great bike but heavy...Gave it to my son
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400..One season only...What an overweight pig!!
    1968 Triumph Daytona 500...Sadly, just sits in the garage
    1985 Suzuki GSX 550EF...Fast!
    1983 Honda CR250R...1st year for liquid cooling...Fantastic bike!
    1980 Honda CR250R...Great Machine
    1978 Can-Am 250 Qualifier...Rare..wish I still had it!
    1974 Yamaha DT 250...Indestructible
    1967 Triumph 650 Bonneville...My first love!...sorry Marcia
    1964 Matchless 750 G15...My first bike...What a beast!
    Honourable mention to my brother's 1965 Triumph Trophy 650...which I "borrowed" many times after school.

http://ktmtalk.com/album.php?albumid=51&pictureid=398
    ...My old rides in pix

Quote Originally Posted by traver View Post
    ...here's a long shot....disconnect the ground strap on your battery....then thoroughly clean all the connection surfaces and tighten it back up real secure...see if that helps. Corroded and/or loose ground straps have been known to cause a number of different problems.

Here's another long shot...check your QD...are you positive its perfectly connected...ie you get a nice "snap" when you snug the twp ends together. If they're not properly connected...could lead to inconsistent fuel pressures.
    I checked the ground strap yesterday when I pulled it to connect the battery charger, and the fuel line QD is good to go. I'm stumped...I thought adjusting the TPS yesterday was the fix, as it ran great afterward. Then it sat overnight and is back to running like crap again.

One thing I forgot to check (will do it tomorrow) was the TPS voltage through out the throttle travel....wondering if the TPS has gone bad. After that, I've hit the limit of my mechanical skill and abilities...it'll have to go to someone more knowledgeable.

I appreciate the ideas and suggestion so far.
    Last edited by kwb377; 03-25-2020 at 09:26 PM.

On the XCW .645 is probably too high of tps, and can cause idle control issues, or aggravate your real issue, at the very least.

Id set the xcw back to around .61 volt, and look towards the injector. You might try a full ecu reset completely disconnect battery for a while, and then do the 5 minute start up, no throttle touch, set your idle to a mid spec setting, on turns out, like 12 out from full counter clockwise , before starting.

KTMTalk Member
    Images

Here are some suggestions from experiences with a 350XCF. (1) Turn up the idle (2) Install a new spark plug (3) Make sure the battery is fully charged
    Last edited by beech; 03-26-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spud786 View Post
    On the XCW .645 is probably too high of tps, and can cause idle control issues, or aggravate your real issue, at the very least.

Id set the xcw back to around .61 volt, and look towards the injector. You might try a full ecu reset completely disconnect battery for a while, and then do the 5 minute start up, no throttle touch, set your idle to a mid spec setting, on turns out, like 12 out from full counter clockwise , before starting.
    I'll try an ECU reset tomorrow.

I just checked the TPS voltage through the throttle range. Rolling the throttle to WFO and back it stops at .645 on the low end. If I snap the throttle closed, the voltage drops below .645...it varied, but several times it dropped to @ .43, and went as low as .38 a coupe of times.

(1) Turn up the idle (2) Install a new spark plug (3) Make sure the battery is fully charged
    The battery is fully charged (just came off a Deltran charger overnight). When the issue first started, I tried bumping the idle up (eventually adding @ 8 clicks) with no effect.
    Last edited by kwb377; 03-26-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I'll try an ECU reset tomorrow.

I just checked the TPS voltage through the throttle range. Rolling the throttle to WFO and back it stops at .645 on the low end. If I snap the throttle closed, the voltage drops below .645...it varied, but several times it dropped to @ .43, and went as low as .38 a coupe of times.

The battery is fully charged (just came off a Deltran charger overnight). When the issue first started, I tried bumping the idle up (eventually adding @ 8 clicks) with no effect.
    Thats not normal should be consistent as a Rock , but .645 is too high , so maybe you need a tps sensor or else your throttle cables have issue
    Last edited by spud786; 03-26-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast