Thread: Need a little help with Krooztune Flow 48 install (XPLOR)

Default Need a little help with Krooztune Flow 48 install (XPLOR)

Okay started the install of the Krooztune Flow 48.

Doing the left compression leg. This leg gets the flow adjust mid valve, adjuster cap and their base valve piston and shims.

Mid valve is all set and pretty straight forward (2020 does require shortening the 6mm aluminium adjuster rod tube by 4mm)

Doing the base valve piston seems pretty straight forward until question myself. The left leg retains the stock base valve even though it has no adjuster. I removed the nut, spring and check plate and then lifted the factory piston and and shims off.

I have verified the shims supplied and zip tied match the Krooztune sheet but now here is where I am confused do I need a base shim/base plate n the post first? or can I slide the Krooztune stack on, add the piston, check plate spring and nut and lock it down.

I will attach a screen shot of that page of the Krooztune instructions.

I don't have the stock shims in order anymore so if I need and OEM base shim/base plate how do I know which those are the way he says " OEM base shim/base" is that one shim or two.

Thanks Rich.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BaseValve.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	36343
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	settings.PNG 
Views:	30 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	36344
    Last edited by R Horn; 03-25-2020 at 10:02 PM.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Default Re: Need a little help with Krooztune Flow 48 install

Looking at Betschet's thread (if the copies over okay) he has a good picture of the Krooztune base valve for the right leg. I can see his shim stack layout and then it looks like he has four mid size shims as a base. Images 33251 shows the layout and 33253 shows the right side assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Betschet View Post
    and the rest of the pics, after I assembled the new mid valve on the rod I clamped it in the vice and installed the push rod and stock fork cap with a dial indicator on the collar that adjusts float. the total float adjustment went from 0 to .088" with 13 clicks of actual adjustment so about .0062 per click, next with the Krooztune cap 21 clicks for the same .088" so a finer range of adjustment that's why they recommend it.

Attachment 33249 Attachment 33250 Attachment 33251 Attachment 33252 Attachment 33253

Default Re: Need a little help with Krooztune Flow 48 install

It was late on the East Coast here in PA when I posted this question so I check the time in Australia and saw it was roughly 2:30 in the afternoon and I emails Krooztune. Happily I had a response this morning and he said he would update the instructions for more clarity.

Interestingly I had a similar experience with Lanier, I had a question and he immediately emailed me back and updated his website however this thread is more a Tribute to "Marty" at Krooztune.

Thank You to Marty.

His response in red below.

Basically just a thick flat shim to seat our setting on. Use the 16 x 0.25 shim from the oem stack, All you need here is a flat shim to sit our shim setting on. From memory i think they have a 16mm x 0.25mm or 18 x 0.25 ... Just needs to achieve a flat surface .

Alot of manufacturers run maybe 2 or 3 of these 'base ' shims/ plates to space the stack up so the nut tightens up and does not run out of thread. . Im sure WP only uses one shim here usually .25 or.3 thickness to achieve a flat surface to sit the shim setting on. I will adjust our instruction so it's more clear, apologies. See below

Below for example only , this may not be exactly what you have in setting , from top to bottom :

NUT
    SPRING
    CHECK SHIM
    PISTON
    24mm x.1 /4
    22mm x.1 /2
    20mm x.1 /2
    18mm x.1 /2
    16mm x .15
    14mm x .15
    12mm x .15
    10mm x . 3
    16 mm x .25 or.3 ( this would be the base shim or base plate)

KTMTalk Member
    Images

Default Re: Need a little help with Krooztune Flow 48 install (XPLOR)

Yes it has 4 .030 shims I did this because the 19 Xplor base stacks use 4 also thought I would give it a try not sure if it did anything but my thinking was WP would not have made this change if it didnít bring something to the table. My thought was it might help with cavitation and SDI is just down the road from me and I needed some shims anyway. Iím also using 2 adjustable base posts I already had one so why not. I also changes the clamp shim on the rebound went up 1mm from stock due to heavier springs Krooztune recommended 2mm but I thought I would start with one. So far Iím very happy with mine way more adjustment then stock and my first try at a home brew kit. At the next service Iím going to plug the holes in the rebound hydro stop just to see what effect it has. And yes you can use my pics.
    Last edited by Betschet; 03-30-2020 at 01:45 PM.

I commented about the first ride in another thread but pertaining to this thread I installed two 0.3 mm shims under the Krooztune stacks as these were the base under my stock stacks on both sides.

Results wise in short the front end was much better. At this time the stacks are the Krooztune "Clubman" and the clickers are Kroozetune baseline and I have not moved them yet. My first ride was my local single track spot nobody likes to ride because it is rocks and roots, The rocks are not big but they are everywhere. Most are solid and don't move but then you get the occasional Goony rock that want to shoot out from under your front tire. As far as being better it wasn't deflecting like it was it was tracking really well to the point I was traveling faster and now the rear suspension was the annoying end. Hopefully life and virus will let me out more and soon.

KTMTalk Member
    Images

Yes you are right about that Iím getting so bored looks like another month or so I hope. And yes thatís what they intended you to do the instructions were not very clear about that as I remember. And Iím also running the club-men settings.
    Last edited by Betschet; 03-30-2020 at 05:24 PM.