Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: IRC VE 33S Gekotta

KTMTalk Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: IRC VE 33S Gekotta

Quote Originally Posted by stasikj View Post
    I could easily see how you could smoke one in 2 hrs on hardpack dry dirt. Also Id imagine a 4 stroke would eat one quicker than a 2 stroke. Threw on a star cross medium rear after running the 33s and traction is definitely way less compared to the irc.
    This was on my '19 TX300. I imagine there would be more destruction with a 4 stroke; especially a 450. The standard VE33 has been great for this terrain though.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member

Quote Originally Posted by motogp1gprix1 View Post
    This was on my '19 TX300. I imagine there would be more destruction with a 4 stroke; especially a 450. The standard VE33 has been great for this terrain though.

I had a 450 Yamaha Fx for 2 years, now back to a 300 2 stroke. I can ruin tires equally on both The 450 actually was harder on front tires tearing off side knobs.

KTMTalk Member

The rocks in AZ are actually good traction. Most everything is decomposed granite so the rocks have a lot of small edges. Nothing like the slick rocks in the east. I use the gummies more for the loose over hard base. A regular tire works ok but as soon as the edge is lost there is nothing. Hard rubber just slides. I recently took a traditional tire that was edgeless and cut in a grove in each knob and it came back to life for another 2 rides. Not a gummy but rideable.

Great synopsis. Just the right amount of gummy vs traditional knobby. Love this tire.

https://youtu.be/a--bb3glM64

How do you guys find the braking performance? One thing I hate about the Shinkos is that it doesnt brake. Just slides for days. I hit some trees on the weekend "because of my shinko" ... ya

I haven't run the VE-33S but I found the regular VE-33 braking not that great. Probably better than the Shinko 505, but probably worse then anything else I've tried.

I find the MotoZ Arena Hybrid Gummy, AT81EX and Ibex all feel good and much better than the 505, braking wise.
    2018 KTM 250 XC-W and 2019 Husky FX450
    Previous bikes: 14 Sherco 300 SE-R, 12 GasGas EC300, 11 300 XC, 09 CRF450R, 09 450 XC-F, 00 RM250

Quote Originally Posted by Ttc2 View Post
    How do you guys find the braking performance? One thing I hate about the Shinkos is that it doesnt brake. Just slides for days. I hit some trees on the weekend "because of my shinko" ... ya
    The V33S is an outstanding braking tire. You can run it hard into corners and it bites very well. Loose soils it's far superior to the Cheater due to it's peonounced knob profile and rounded crown. Digs in on steep downhills very well.

I agree, the Cheater is not a good braking tire.

Like GlennE, I ran the IBEX extensively as well as the MotoZ Arena gummy and I prefer the IRC V33S Gekkota by a narrow margin. It's longer wearing than the IBEX, and better performing than the Arena.

Deep large knobs, with good spacing and rounded profile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200520_152752.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	37847

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200520_152803.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	37848

Put another 40 miles on the 33s wednesday night on fast hard pack trails and the tire has shown no more wear. You really need a good front tire because the rear will grab so well leaned over it surprises you. The trail ride leader is complaining now about the Dunlop 81 ? gummie rear and says when it wears a bit it slips on hard pack. I'm on rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttc2 View Post
    I normally ride a M5B but tried the VE33S this go round. I really like the tire and it has very good braking. The M5B will start to loose some braking traction when conditions get dry and loose but the 33s is showing it is better at braking than most tires with the forward traction equal to the 33S

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234