Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do healthy energy drinks exist?

Default Re: Do healthy energy drinks exist?

Thereís little good in traditional energy drinks, way too much caffeine all at once, and sugar and whatever other fake stuff. I know theyíve come out with organic or natural this and that, but I donít trust it. I cut out soda and similar all together about 3 years ago so I donít know what all is out there.

Like many have mentioned, hammer products, Gu, nuun, etc are good stuff and proper general nutrition goes a loooong way. I couldnít believe how much longer I could ride just after ditching fast food and eating cleaner. I pretty much only use the previously mentioned products for races, or multi day riding trips anymore. I also like Honey stinger products. On regular rides, just clif bars and /or hammer/Gu gels. I do like to have some of the ones with caffeine in them, to get a little jolt late in a long ride if Iím dragging. Clif bar also makes bars with caffeine. Or bring some chocolate covered espresso beans on the trail, just donít eat too many at a time.
    '17 250 XC
    '15 500 XCW

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

I was surprised how many AA riders ate gummi bears between restarts they are like 100% fructose.
    present bikes
    2006 KTM 450 EXC
    2006 KTM 400 EXC
    1999 Kawasaki Concours
    1983 Husqvarna 250WR
    1968 Honda CT90 trail 90
    1971 Suzuki RV90
    1964 Honda CT200 Trail 90
    member Great Lakes dual sporters
    www.gldsmc.org
    AMA charter life member-663466A

District 14 ama- #0025

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikeace View Post
    I was surprised how many AA riders ate gummi bears between restarts they are like 100% fructose.
    A sugar rush has benefits if you plan it right...like the last 30 minutes of a race. Probably not the healthiest thing to do, but it works.

Long explanation/story deleted.
    You are what you do when it counts ― John Steakley, Armor

Plank owner, Wyatt's Torch Maintenance Department.

Accept failure as inevitable and it will be.

Images

Since I can't drink soda I have invented my own drink to have with dinner. A can of club soda and a shot of cranberry juice in it. It's better than boring plain water and not killing Me either!

Dextrose is some of the quickest sugar there for replenishing the muscles. See Austin Forkner the other year and the pixie sticks debacle. Gummy Bears are more corn syrup though, liver replenishment only

When I drink energy drinks it's either Rockstar recovery in the orange flavor as mentioned above, or Monster Rehab orange or peach. Neither one have high doses of sugar. I don't sleep well or just not enough at times and sometimes it's a necessary evil in the morning to make it through work since I don't drink coffee. Will also crack one at 5:00am when headed snowmobiling for the day. Prefer Rockstar as Monster seems to make me have to pee constantly. Probably not good for hydration.

I've used this and it seems to work really well for me in the afternoon when I'm loosing ambition and focus: https://wildernessathlete.com/collec...ergy-focus-tub No sugar.

As far as shorter rides or working out on a day to day basis I stick to water and an occasional Gatorade. On extended rides or 2hr race days I've started using Ryno Power supplements. I use their Hydration Fuel before the race and mixed in my hydration pack during the race. From what I can tell it's a better quality sports drink with BCAA, carbs, and a little sugar for fuel. I don't notice any boost in energy with this, but I definitely maintain energy longer with it. I pair this with their Endurance and Electrolyte capsules before a long ride or race. I sweat profusely and have always had cramping issues. This regiment has improved that drastically and my recovery time after the race to have ambition to do something else is far better.
    2017 FX450
    2009 505SX Quad
    2008 525XC Quad, modded for MX
    2008 450SX-F Bike - Sold
    2004 Arctic Cat DVX Quad
    1987 Honda 250X Quad- Sold

Images

Things sure change.

In Germany in the late 70s I ran a few half marathons.

Energy drink of choice: powdered milk mixed with water and honey.
    You are what you do when it counts ― John Steakley, Armor

Plank owner, Wyatt's Torch Maintenance Department.

Accept failure as inevitable and it will be.

Anyone remember Lucozade from the mid 70's? Probably the first energy drink. In my MX days when nutrition was less understood, my raceday elixir was flat 7up, a couple caffeine pills and eat tons of bananas. Probably close to some modern energy drinks. Just ordered some Nuun to try as it seems far healthier than my usual gatorade and i was considering adding a small amount of caffeine to it Cam

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikeace View Post
    I've always found it interesting the level of junk some high level athletes will intake during activity. I get the rush of sugar thing and they're better at what they do than I, so I won't question it too much. There's a guy I know who's very talented on a dirt bike, and more so on a mountain bike. I believe he pedaled professionally for a time in the 90s or early 2000s. Anyway, he did this gnarly multi-day bikepacking ride basically up from the Mexico border to the Phoenix area and described his day to day. Every stop the guy is eating a whole pizza or giant burrito and washing it down with a liter or two of coke or some other dark soda. And he did it for days. My body could not handle that one bit!
    '17 250 XC
    '15 500 XCW

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234