Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Thinking of getting a performance car, throw me your opinions

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: Thinking of getting a performance car, throw me your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by brn2rde View Post
    But, just in case their is a small smidgen of hope: I have owned lots of different classics. One of the most fun has been this little Datsun Roadster. Small, light, zippy, and all the attention you can handle. The red 1968 is mine, the teal 1969 my daughter and I built for her. Great mpg, stone cold reliable 4cyl. Sort of like riding a motorcycle, no helmet required.

Attachment 37826
    That is a Datsun Fair Lady which proceeded the 240z . They came in two versions , a 2000 ( which I owned ) and a 1600 version . I owned mine a few years or so out of high school and it took me to a bunch of fun and memorable places . Unfortunately ,I dont know what version I had as one version made more power than the other . Mine was white with black interior with a white top . Sadly , the timing chain broke one day on the way to the beach and lunched the motor . I had to sell it for parts and wound up with a Triumph Spitfire . I think one of the reasons I am such a good mechanic was owning cars like the Fair Lady , Spitfire and a few MG's . They were fun cars but not very solid mechanically . I sure love those cars though . I'm a bit jealous .
    Last edited by bradluke0; 06-01-2020 at 04:13 PM.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by GyroRon View Post
    You know what puzzles me....

I remember all through my childhood, then teen years, even through my twentys, Gas was whatever it was per gallon..... Say 1.25$ per gallon of 87.

And whatever it was for 87, 89 was maybe 10 cents more, and 93 was another 10 cents more on top of that.

I remember as a teen, we would splurge and fill our cars up with 93 on friday nights, for that " Extra power " ( yeah I know now it doesn't make extra power) so we could have a little more advantage as we raced each other or did burn outs etc.... I mean, even for a teenager, a extra 20 cents for 10 gallons of gas... 2 bucks wasn't much.

Then gas prices went nuts after hurricane katrina and seems ever since, premium has been much more than 87.

I almost think its because these days, there is alot of cars on the road that require it, and the gas stations are taking advantage of it. Same with Diesel, back in my youth and teens Diesel pickups were semi rare... Wasn't till the mid to late 1990's when Dodge came out with the restyled Ram with the cummins, and Ford started selling their " power stroke " trucks, did all of a sudden people started wanting diesel trucks, then over the years that followed, diesel trucks were everywhere, and diesel pricing started going up.

I know my car and my truck are actually designed to run on 93. And their power ratings are only achieved running 93. They will retard timing and run without damage on 87, but with less power. Im too cheap to spend the extra 60 cents or so 93 costs at the moment
    Speaking of cruising as a teen......We used to cruise around in my mom's 6 cylinder Tempest right out of high school when gas was about 35 cents a gallon . One night 3 of us were cruising around and we were on "E" . We emptied our pockets and had no money , we wound up finding 16 cents under the seats of the car . We put 16 cents of gas in the car to get us back to the Burger Spot where a buddy lent us 5 dollars , we were rich ! .....lol.

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by gmoss View Post
    good to know. I test drove a 2016 with the 2.7 and preferred it over the 3.5. IDK what trans was in it. It will be a few more years before I am ready to truck shop again...well, for me anyway. Will be buying an older one soon enough for my youngest to drive, and me to use. LOL

6 speed in the 2.7 F150's till 2018 model year. The 3.5 trucks got the 10 speeds in 2017.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    Senior A Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding and Gnarly trails

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Not sure the same is true on the 3.5, it has more torque. Mine is 1500-2000 rpm towing, which is the only thing I use it for.
    My car runs great with the 2.7 but that's a car not a 4x4 with a trailer.

The f150 3.5 has 470 torque, 2.7 is 380. Still impressive but 20% difference.
    The 2018 model trucks with the 2.7 got many upgrades, including the 10 speed transmission... And a dual fuel injection system that has both port and direct fuel injection. Torque went up to 400 foot pounds on 2018 and newer 2.7 engines.

And for what it's worth, one of my best friends bought a 2018 F-150 lariat with the 3.5 and 4x4, a few months before I bought my 2018 F-150 XLT with the 2.7 and 2wd. Seat of the pants, my truck is faster and accelerates harder. That was both mine and his observation. We also both have matching identical campers... Hyperlite 27 toyhaulers, and we have compared notes on what gear each truck is in while towing on a given stretch of road and fuel economy and my truck seems to match his towing.

On paper his truck is more powerful with more HP and Torque, but in real world driving, it is not really all that noticeable if at all. The 2.7 was a purpose built fresh clean sheet design Turbo engine. The 3.5 is more or less a converted non turbo engine. If you believe things you read on the internet, the 2.7 is by far a better engine and with far less problems.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by bradluke0 View Post
    Speaking of cruising as a teen......We used to cruise around in my mom's 6 cylinder Tempest right out of high school when gas was about 35 cents a gallon . One night 3 of us were cruising around and we were on "E" . We emptied our pockets and had no money , we wound up finding 16 cents under the seats of the car . We put 16 cents of gas in the car to get us back to the Burger Spot where a buddy lent us 5 dollars , we were rich ! .....lol.
    My first car was a 1975 Chevy Caprice classic, big giant boat of a car, 4 doors, vinyl roof... But what made it special was it had been optioned with the 454 V8 and turbo 400 transmission. The car would light up and spin both back tires with ease. And would spank many sports car in a drag race. I never figured what kind of gas mileage it got, probably would be lucky if it got 8 mpg. Somehow between swiping some change off my dads dresser and friends offering gas money if I came to scoop them up, we managed to always have enough gas to get where we wanted to go. The car would seat 6 legally and 8 with ease and being one of the first ones in my friend circle to have a car I always had tons of friends that would throw 5 bucks worth of gas in it if I would pick them up. 5 bucks would buy 6+ gallons back then and we never went too far away.

Car only lasted me like 6 months. Too many burn outs and neutral drops and other stuff tore up the transmission. Somehow the transmission stuck in first gear no matter where you put the shifter, even in park it was still in first. Drove it home that way from about 20 miles away and parked it. Came back to car after it cooled down and it wouldn't move or go at all. I had no money and my dad said ... " guess your back to riding your bicycle " so I was screwed. Ended up selling the car a few weeks later for 300$ to a neighbor who wanted the engine for a hotrod project and gave that to a friends dad who owned a " Buy here, pay here " car lot as down payment on a 1977 Datsun truck.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Userid

Neutral drop with a torque monster 454????? I realize you were young but geewhimminny!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Sporty, gas efficient, hauls my Harley FLSTC with ease, or any other bikes I have.

Get the WRX.

You can now get a 2016 used for alot less than 18k. Attachment 39099

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by vtwinjunkie View Post
    Sporty, gas efficient, hauls my Harley FLSTC with ease, or any other bikes I have.

Get the WRX.

You can now get a 2016 used for alot less than 18k. Attachment 39099
    May 24th he bought a Ford Fusion Sport.
    Present
    2011 300 XCW Christini conversion
    2013 DR650 for knocking down trees instead of weaving between them

Past
    Lots. Best was a 2005 YZ250 with KTM 250SX parts to make a long-rod engine
    Member Great Lakes Dual Sporters

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by brn2rde View Post
    But, just in case their is a small smidgen of hope: I have owned lots of different classics. One of the most fun has been this little Datsun Roadster. Small, light, zippy, and all the attention you can handle. The red 1968 is mine, the teal 1969 my daughter and I built for her. Great mpg, stone cold reliable 4cyl. Sort of like riding a motorcycle, no helmet required.

Attachment 37826
    Hey. Didnít know you had datsuns. My dad has a big gathering every summer for Datsun roadsters bear Shedd. I think heís still doing it this year in spite of all this virus stuff. If youíre interested pm me and Iíll get you the date and place.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789