Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a performance car, throw me your opinions

Default Re: Thinking of getting a performance car, throw me your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by gmoss View Post
    I have to agree. Also, any car you buy is going to depreciate, especially a car. About the only thing now that holds any kind of value is a teuck, or an older car that has already had its depreciation.

I spent more on my Flex than I ever had. It was a CPO, so I got drivetrain warranty to 100k, which I just passed. It will be a couple more years before I can really look at anything else, and I knew that.

I would stay away from that 2nd Fusion, unless it is dirt cheap. Kind of like buying a salvage car.

I know you said ypu have a lot of cars in the drive, maybe wait a bit till one of your kids is not there, moved out, then spend the $9k on something fun, like a 2 seater, or v8 american muscle. I had my toys when I was youg, several Mustangs, old and newer at that time to a lowered S10 with a 4cyl 5 speed. The S10 was one of the funnest to drive on the country roads because it handled like a sports car. Did not have power, but fun little vehicle. One vehicle I always thought would be fun to drive, have, is a Honda s2000.

To me a Charger is boring, generic car rhat doesn't really stand out. Lota of them on the road. Yep, they can haul butt, but not an eye catcher at the $18k mark. If I am going to have a toy, I want to be unique to a degree. Is why I would like to have another classic Mustang, 69 Mach 1 to be specific. LOL
    the s2k is a fun car, clean ones are pricey even when i looked almost 7 years ago. ended up with a 350z at that time instead.

a true toy i would agree needs to be something unique-ish or actually performance. sounds like he really just wants something peppy and not necessarily an eye-catcher.

not sure if OP is into subarus but a older STI might fall into some of your categories, wont get the mpg though

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

I have owned some fast cars, good cars, and some that were both but never neither. Of all of them my Mk 6 GTI was one of the best. Every time I got behind the wheel I asked myself why everyone wasn't driving them. Incredible handling, high quality--(no "small car" cheapness), low cost, eminently and safely moddable with gargantuan aftermarket. lots of space, 29-30 mpg and as fast as you want to make it for a FWD

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

What is a MK 6 GTI?

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcoffee View Post
    What is a MK 6 GTI?
    vw golf

Quote Originally Posted by GyroRon View Post
    I haven't even looked at a mustangs back seat in person, but looking at the pictures, it looks like for sure only 2 people can fit back there.

We have a family of 6. Me and Momma... a 18 yr old, 17 yr old, a 11 yr old and a 9 yr old. The 18 yr old is likely not going to be around much longer, she goes to Duke university this fall to start her college and will probably not be coming around much once that happens. The 17 yr old works all the time and wants to hang out with his friends if he isn't working so really having a seat for him isn't a priority. The two younger kids will be stuck with us for a good while longer though. Getting a vehicle that only sits 4 though... I just don't know. Our Jeep will only sit four and there has been many times there was 5 of us here that wanted to go to the park, or the bowling alley or out to eat etc... and wanted to take the jeep but it will barely seat 4 and no way it will seat 5. Sucks when you don't have enough seats.

Even my truck, I had to pass up on several nice trucks I looked at because they had a center console between the two front seats. I wanted one that has a flip up console so a third person can sit in the front. We have used the truck several times for family trips were we had all 6 of us in the truck. Obviously the 9 year old is small enough to be comfortable in the smallish seat in the front middle of my truck, but by the time she is big enough to be uncomfortable the big kids will be out on their own.

I am surprised you could get a Mustang for 20 grand new though. Maybe that is a route worth looking into. I know by the numbers, even with the four cylinder its a fast car.
    My daughter graduated from Duke and as your financial advisor (along with the others on this thread) you can not afford another car for at least four more years...
    DK ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    My daughter graduated from Duke and as your financial advisor (along with the others on this thread) you can not afford another car for at least four more years...
    DK ;-)
    she got in for free, full scholarship. We pay nothing. She is super smart and earned it.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    Senior A Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding and Gnarly trails

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

Quote Originally Posted by D.L. View Post
    I have owned some fast cars, good cars, and some that were both but never neither. Of all of them my Mk 6 GTI was one of the best. Every time I got behind the wheel I asked myself why everyone wasn't driving them. Incredible handling, high quality--(no "small car" cheapness), low cost, eminently and safely moddable with gargantuan aftermarket. lots of space, 29-30 mpg and as fast as you want to make it for a FWD
    GTI was on my list. That or a newer Jetta GLI. Those fall into my price range ( 2017 models ) and I am sure they are fun cars to drive. The GTI looks like it might be tight on trunk space with the back seats folded up, and occasionally we stuff the trunk on the camry and fill up all the seats, I would want close to the same trunk space as what I got now. The jetta probably has enough trunk space, but GLI jettas aren't super common. Not super keen on a stick and not a huge fan of the DSG auto since I would be towing with it occasionally.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

Images

You are also going to polar opposites on reliability, going from Toyota to VW.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    "Home of the free, because of the Brave"
    19 250 TPI, 14 250XCW Six Days, The Torch (06 300XCW KTMtalk magazine bike), 98 125EXC
    Gone: 08 250XCW, 07 200XC, 06 300XCW, 04 250EXC, 03 450EXC, 01 400EXC, 99 250EXC, 98 380MXC, 98 200EXC
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My How-to's, KTM bulletins, etc.
    My KTM picture pages
    Razorback Riders Motorcycle Club
    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
    Wudi Forum

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    You are also going to polar opposites on reliability, going from Toyota to VW.

I would tend to agree, but here is some food for thought on that...

Go on any online classified site that lists cars. Autotrader, facebook marketplace, craigslist, Car Gurus, etc... And just type in parameters such as year model and price but leave mileage open and make and model open.

Seems like it doesn't matter what brand or model car or truck out there, there are countless examples listed for sale with 150, 200, 200+ thousand miles on them.

Now I will tend to believe that a Random Toyota Camry with 200K on it probably didn't need much repairs, and probably never left them stranded on the side of the road to get to that many miles.... where as the Random VW Jetta or Ford Focus or Dodge Dart might have had several repairs and even a tow or two to get to that mileage figure.

But I do wonder what the actual facts are. Would be interesting to speak to mechanics at a toyota dealership to see how often toyotas actually break and how often a toyota is in the shop for more than just a oil change, brake pads or tires.

Regardless, I will admit, VW is not a priority... If I have time in this process I would like to take a GTI or GLI for a test drive. I know car magazines have praised the GTI for years and years as one of the best bangs for the buck, and one of the most fun cars out there to drive, and for what I am wanting to spend I can get a 2016-2018 GTI with fairly low miles, and they do give the kind of fuel economy I would be real happy with.

But one thing about me is I am OCD. And part of my OCD is I don't like having a bunch of cars and trucks from different makes. Not a deal breaker for me, but like of like how I hang my shirts in the closet ( they are hung in groups of colors, so IOW's all the black shirts are in one area, then grey, then blue, then red, then orange, etc... ) I would like to have another Ford if possible, since that is what my truck is. And I gotta say, I am semi fixated on that Fusion Sport. I can not believe how fast that car was and how well it drove. And its very similar to my truck as far as layout and controls and the radio system etc... Its a true sleeper car, like that SS is that set this ball in motion. I just know I am likely to keep whatever I get for several years, so I want to make sure I am making the right move.

But as far as Toyota goes, I would likely be very happy with a newer Camry V6. A 2018 to 2019 model would be fine, and the 2020 models look great to me... But even the 2015-2017 models with the V6, the pricing used on those is over my budget I want to spend.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

looked at the Fusion that was the buyback last night.... Not for me. You could tell by tire wear, and the fuel economy readout ( that hadn't been reset for over 800 miles ) that the car has been flogged. It was dirty inside, dings on the exterior, wasn't a fan of the color once I saw it in person, and they were firm on their price. I can get a non buyback with more miles, but not WAY more miles for the same price. That dealer leaves me with the impression that they prey on uninformed shoppers, they don't even call their buyback cars, buyback cars... they have some BS term they use that makes it sound fine and they don't tell you anything about it might have had major issues. The whole thing once I got there and saw the car and interacted with the sales person left a bad taste in my mouth. F that.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast