Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blasphemy..Sleeving down a 380.

Images

Default Re: Blasphemy..Sleeving down a 380.

Quote Originally Posted by dvskike View Post

I think a head mod is a reasonable next step. But more needles is not in the offing. A Lectron might be the right call as well...idk yet.
    Yup, the head mod would be a good step to help get rid of or minimize the blubbering and make jetting more consistent.

Iíve tried the single taper needles, CEK & CEJ. They are pretty cheap. I didnít like how the bike ran, seems to really tame the power and too sluggish for my liking. The last few years Iíve been running the cast SmartCarb. However I lost some of the off-idle grunt. A few months ago I installed the 38mm Lectron Ė H Series Carb. The off-idle grunt is now a lot better. The bike runs very well. Iím really happy with the Lectron. The only change I made to the Lectron was adjust the metering rod by 1/2 turn to lean it out and its perfect.
    380EXC
    09FE450 Berg
    14 Ktm 350 XCF-W
    2006 CRF250X(wife's)

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

I just skimmed the thread to this point, and it sounds like you don't yet have a head mod. Here's what I would do:

1. Stack base gaskets and raise the cylinder until the bottom of the exhaust port matches the piston at BDC.
    2. Have the cylinder decked to be zero'd at TDC.
    3. Have the head cut for correct squish and low compression.
    4. Reset the PV flapper to stock Z dimension (this will change since you decked the cylinder).
    5. Yellow PV spring adjusted to your liking.
    6. Buy, beg, borrow, or steal a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe (not Platinum II). The original Platinum is out of production. Best 380 pipe ever.
    7. Retard the timing about 5 degrees. I no longer remember which old 380 has which timing marks stamped. If you want help with that send me pics.
    8. Go enjoy the best 380 motor you've ever ridden.

Cost: Deck cylinder, head mod, base gaskets, and pipe if you can find one.

If you can't find the pipe, get rid of the torque pipe and run a new stock KTM pipe. Use a stock KTM hockey stick turbine core SA.
    2019 250 XC, 2015 500 EXC, 1993 500 MX, and too many old Husky's.

Very specific. I was planning on the rektek head mod. Just need a down week when I can be without the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Picklito View Post
    I just skimmed the thread to this point, and it sounds like you don't yet have a head mod. Here's what I would do:

1. Stack base gaskets and raise the cylinder until the bottom of the exhaust port matches the piston at BDC.
    2. Have the cylinder decked to be zero'd at TDC.
    3. Have the head cut for correct squish and low compression.
    4. Reset the PV flapper to stock Z dimension (this will change since you decked the cylinder).
    5. Yellow PV spring adjusted to your liking.
    6. Buy, beg, borrow, or steal a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe (not Platinum II). The original Platinum is out of production. Best 380 pipe ever.
    7. Retard the timing about 5 degrees. I no longer remember which old 380 has which timing marks stamped. If you want help with that send me pics.
    8. Go enjoy the best 380 motor you've ever ridden.

Cost: Deck cylinder, head mod, base gaskets, and pipe if you can find one.

If you can't find the pipe, get rid of the torque pipe and run a new stock KTM pipe. Use a stock KTM hockey stick turbine core SA.
    2000 KTM 380 EXC
    2009 KTM 990 Adv.
    2002 CR/KDX 200 Hybrid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12