Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rider about to buy first bike

Default New rider about to buy first bike

Hello I'm a new rider about to buy A 2020 KTM 150 XC-W TPI
    I am 6,2 about 165lbs and plan to ride off road trails alot.
    I have no experience with riding bikes and hoping to get some input on my purchase before I go through with it.

I've been excited to get in to Enduro style riding and hopefully I'll learn quickly
    I intend to teach myself to do most of my own maintenance

Any input is appreciated

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Default Re: New rider about to buy first bike

Probably a great bike for most faster trails. Have you looked at the beta 200?
    2019 Husqvarna TE300i Ca Plated Single Track Killer. RK TEK equipped
    1995 Honda CR500R
    2018 Polaris 850 XP
    2009 Polaris 550 XP
    2018 Polaris Ranger XP1000 103hp
    2007 Polaris Ranger 700
    1975 Hodaka Road Toad
    1972 Honda Trail 70 4 speed manual clutch
    1971 Arctic Cat Stinger mini bike

That will be a perfect first bike.
    2017 450xcf
    2013 350xcf
    2015 Yamaha FZ-9
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    Senior A Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding and Gnarly trails

Youtube handle, GyroRon

Facebook, Ron Awad

mmmmm, No.

Not my vote.

I googled IQALUIT, NUNAVUT. It looks like an interesting place to be.
    I don't have a bunch of experience with terrain like you have, but it looks kind of open, but rough if you choose that. What an opportunity to explore.
    I would certainly get a KTM, if I lived there!!!!
    I would plan on a future ICE setup too!

Because of your height, I don't think you need to start with a smaller bike, necessarily. If you are athletic you will learn fast and be ready for your next bike too quickly for invest in a bike that you are going to want to change right away. 7000 people there? A 150 is going to hard to sell, because it is more of a specialty bike.
    So. Get a 250 to start. It is more of a mainstream choice, and for good reason. It will suit most people well, and most situations. A small bike for beginners is kind of knee jerk. This is not always bad. Initial negative experiences are to be carefully avoided, it is true. So, you might want to go with the 150. Maybe.

Is there a KTM store there? What kind of dirt bike support is there? What do other folks ride? Are you on your own, or might you be riding with someone else?

Do get a motorcycle.....

Now that is decided, let's just decide which one

Last edited by JASPER; 05-23-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Pay very very close attention to torque values, ktm uses the tiniest bolts it can get away with and stuff can strip easily.

Being a tpi, Oil pump priming with any disassembly , would be very important to know.

airfiltering very important, not just a clean airfilter, but effective airfiltering, as to motor life. Dirtbikes suck dirt, dirt bad for motor.

NickMac,

I am sure you have researched the 150. I do not have one....from what I have read, the 150 performs best when ridden on the pipe (that is faster) and requires more shifting to ride it properly. I bought my first dirt bike in 2018, a 250 xc-w. There was a 150 xc-w sitting right beside it at the dealer for several hundred dollars less but I went with the 250. So I agree with Jasper. I have found my 250 to be very easy to ride as a first timer. It can be ridden like a 50 cc scooter or just twist the throttle for race ready performance! You have to respect the performance of any of these bikes as they can go fast in a hurry. So as a first timer dirt biker you will want to start riding easy terrain to begin your learning curve and learn about the bike and its character and graduate to more challenging terrain as your learning curve allows. I am 5' 10" with a 30 " inseam and am comfortable with mine. At your height and weight you would fit one better than I do and also be in the weight range for the stock suspension setup. I love my KTM but wonder with your location if parts and/or service might be more available for a Japanese bike like the Yamaha 2 stroke. Good luck making your decision and have fun on your new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
    mmmmm, No.

Not my vote.

I googled IQALUIT, NUNAVUT. It looks like an interesting place to be.
    I don't have a bunch of experience with terrain like you have, but it looks kind of open, but rough if you choose that. What an opportunity to explore.
    I would certainly get a KTM, if I lived there!!!!
    I would plan on a future ICE setup too!

Because of your height, I don't think you need to start with a smaller bike, necessarily. If you are athletic you will learn fast and be ready for your next bike too quickly for invest in a bike that you are going to want to change right away. 7000 people there? A 150 is going to hard to sell, because it is more of a specialty bike.
    So. Get a 250 to start. It is more of a mainstream choice, and for good reason. It will suit most people well, and most situations. A small bike for beginners is kind of knee jerk. This is not always bad. Initial negative experiences are to be carefully avoided, it is true. So, you might want to go with the 150. Maybe.

Is there a KTM store there? What kind of dirt bike support is there? What do other folks ride? Are you on your own, or might you be riding with someone else?

Do get a motorcycle.....

Now that is decided, let's just decide which one

i never considered going straight for a 250, everything I've read about getting my first bike suggests a small bike first so that's a interesting perspective.
    There's no KTM stores up here ill getting something sent on air cargo
    Some local garages do work on power sport vehicles around here
    I got some people to ride with but ill probably i'm gonna be riding a lot solo once i get confident with my riding skills

I gotta go look at more bike online now

Quote Originally Posted by sensor419 View Post
    NickMac,

I am sure you have researched the 150. I do not have one....from what I have read, the 150 performs best when ridden on the pipe (that is faster) and requires more shifting to ride it properly. I bought my first dirt bike in 2018, a 250 xc-w. There was a 150 xc-w sitting right beside it at the dealer for several hundred dollars less but I went with the 250. So I agree with Jasper. I have found my 250 to be very easy to ride as a first timer. It can be ridden like a 50 cc scooter or just twist the throttle for race ready performance! You have to respect the performance of any of these bikes as they can go fast in a hurry. So as a first timer dirt biker you will want to start riding easy terrain to begin your learning curve and learn about the bike and its character and graduate to more challenging terrain as your learning curve allows. I am 5' 10" with a 30 " inseam and am comfortable with mine. At your height and weight you would fit one better than I do and also be in the weight range for the stock suspension setup. I love my KTM but wonder with your location if parts and/or service might be more available for a Japanese bike like the Yamaha 2 stroke. Good luck making your decision and have fun on your new bike.
    A lot of the terrain will require a slower pace i think, lots of rocks and bumpy hill climbs.
    I'm really considering a 250 now

When it comes to service for my bike i don't think the local garages carry any parts but they will order and ship any parts i need.
    I know they do have experience servicing bikes

Images

250 is a lot of motor for a beginning rider. I would start with the 150. At a 165, it will pull you gine, especially in the offroad form. I followed the "get bigger", you can lug it advice when I first got a KTM and had been on a 250f for 3 years, raced, etc. I got a 300 and it tried to hurt me, so I list my butt in 10 months when I traded it for another 250f.

The 150 will teach you alot and will not overwhelm you with power. It is nice to be able to concentrate on lines and skills without having to worry about throttle and the bike getting away from you.

Maybe try and throw a leg over one if anyone has one around you.
    2017 Husky TC 250
    2012 200XCW

Past bikes:
    '09 105 XC
    '08 85 XC
    '13 150 SX
    '14 200 W
    '15 150 SX, converted to 200 E start
    '08 65 XC
    '10 300 XC
    '13 350 XCF
    '05 200 EXC #2
    '06 200 W
    '07 85 SX
    '12 350 XCF
    '12 150SX, converted to a 200 SX/W
    '08 200 SXC
    '02 50 SA
    '08 65 SX
    '05 200 EXC
    '05 250 EXC
    '07 250 SX
    '07 250 SXF
    '06 300 XCW
    '04 300 EXC
    A big thanks to FTI Racing!

Quote Originally Posted by NickMac View Post
    i never considered going straight for a 250, everything I've read about getting my first bike suggests a small bike first so that's a interesting perspective.
    There's no KTM stores up here ill getting something sent on air cargo
    Some local garages do work on power sport vehicles around here
    I got some people to ride with but ill probably i'm gonna be riding a lot solo once i get confident with my riding skills

I gotta go look at more bike online now
    Your going to learn alot faster , clutch work and how to ride momentum with a smaller motor , a 250 is twice the motor than a 125 , by the time you are decent with the 150 , you'll be that much better on the 250, and you'll be able to use the power.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast