Thread: Ignition, left or right thread??

Default Ignition, left or right thread??

I was a Husqvarna mechanic from 1969 on and have worked on hundreds, ignition was on the R so they used a left hand thread on the flywheel and I have seen countless engines with the crank broke as someone put an air impact on the nut and turned it left until it broke, too easy to do.
    Since 2001 working on KTM RFS engine, ignition is on the left so that is R hand so no problem (drive end is on right and is left hand thread. Nut it aluminum and I guess that saves the crank when turned the wrong way as those guy will strip the nut).
    So today I am working on a 2005 Husaberg FE 550E.This is after production moved to Austria and many parts are familure KTM pieces but Ignition is on the right and I can't see enough of the threads to confirm direction so Berg guys help me out, which is it??
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Default Re: Ignition, left or right thread??

DJH, per the Shop On Line parts description, right side crank nut is left hand thread, and left side crank is a right hand thread. Makes sense to me, crank rotation does not loosen the nut.

Default Re: Ignition, left or right thread??

Thanks, I had not thought they would show thread direction in parts
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member