Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Wrist, now looking for wrist brace

Default Broken Wrist, now looking for wrist brace

Hi All, Been lurking on this forum for a while, have had several KTM's and other bikes in the past, but long story short:

I got myself a new used KTM about 5 weeks ago to stave off the pandemic blues (2013 300XC-W with only 20 hrs!) and managed to bail off it on the second ride. Fell hard on outstretched hand and broke my left wrist. XRAY for your enjoyment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200527_213545.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	38635

I have about 2 more weeks in the cast, so after weeks of cleaning/restoring everything about my bike, I am thinking about getting back to riding in the near future. The wrist is already feeling good, and even though I have a cast on, I am regaining grip strength, and even went mountain biking the other day with no issue. (To be clear I am not trying to ride dirt bikes until the cast is off).

To prepare to get back on the bike, I am thinking about buying wrist braces to support my wrist. There seem to be 2 models that people use, The Mobius and the Allsport Dynamics.

URL="https://www.mobiusbraces.com/store/x8-wrist-brace/
    and

https://www.allsportdynamics.com/shop/

Allsport Dynamics seems to have various different models of brace, ranging from affordable to pricey.

My orthopedic doc will not recommend either, he recommends a cloth wrist brace. He isn't saying these braces are bad, and even says I could consider using one, but refuses to make a recommendation or prescription because he hasn't seen/used either. I would feel better returning to riding with a real brace than a cloth w

Does anyone have experience with either of these braces? Will either help to prevent fractures in the future? Or just to stabilize the wrist? Should I use them on both hands, or only the broken one? Maybe I should just get better at not sticking my hands out in front of me when falling?

Thanks!

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Lifetime Team KTMTalk

Default Re: Broken Wrist, now looking for wrist brace

I use EVS Wrister. Glove with built in brace.
    '13 500 EXC
    '02 520 EXC
    96 550 MXC(bought it back)
    84 CR500(sold)
    96 POLARIS 1160 w/162" TRACK
    76 CJ7

Sorry you broke your wrist! Iíve had broken wrists numerous times, twice requiring surgery. I was in a championship position a few years ago and my wrist was weak and I was nervous about competing. I bought a custom All sports dynamic brace and loved it. I finished the series with enough points to win. Later I bought an off the shelf brace from him for my other wrist. It worked well. Not sure about other brands but the All sports worked for me. Good luck!

Do you know what model it was? There's like 6 or 8 different choices on their website. The cheaper ones are $150 or so and the more expensive ones are over $400

kwilder, sorry to hear about your wrist, I broke my right wrist in a really bad way a few years ago, a long story for another time, anyways, I've been using the mobius x8 and I love it. It wasn't too expensive and its very easy to adjust and get used to, after a few rides I forgot that its there, but I can't ride without it...if that makes sense. I only wear it on the right wrist, it helps to stabilize the joint and also has limit screws to adjust how far you can extend your wrist. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I am in a similar situation. I broke my scaphoid 11 weeks ago, I get the cast off next week. I have used the EVS neoprene brace before it works OK but it is really just a wrap. I will likely go with the Mobius because I like that it does not go across the palm of your hand. I expect It will be several months before I have the strength and mobility back in the wrist.
    Last edited by D36rider; 07-04-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Wrong word
    13 250XC
    19 501FE
    2x ISDE medalist
    2x AMA Nat H/S class champ

I use and can vouch for the OH2 model from AllSportDynamics. I had one of the more severe wrist injuries possible 2 years ago and have ridden with the brace since I recovered.

Why not take the advice of your doctor rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet? If he says you should try a cloth brace, maybe just try a cloth brace first and go from there?

For what it's worth, this is my wrist, and I never wore a brace post-injury.

Images

Bummer deal. But congrats on the 13 300 those were great bikes. Learn to train your brain to tuck and roll. Almost never put your hand out to save yourself from impact.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockJunkee View Post
    Bummer deal. But congrats on the 13 300 those were great bikes. Learn to train your brain to tuck and roll. Almost never put your hand out to save yourself from impact.
    Very true but.... then you end up with a shoulder like mine (which is really damaged with a LONG list of injuries). Still, you are correct you can't stick that arm out or you will break collar bones, arms and wrists. I hate to think of the injuries thru the years if I had the habit of catching a fall with my arm.
    Ken Powell
    2018 KTM 250 XC-W
    2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in WP forks - Sold to son-in-law on 31 October 2014 due to injury - still ride it occasionally
    2003 YZ265WR (WR426 trans except YZ250 2nd gear) with 2005 Slavens revalved AOSS forks - backup bike
    2003 KX125 with KDX220 motor & 2006 YZ250F SSS forks - added Rekluse EXP 3.0 designed for YZ125
    1979 Maico 250 Magnum
    Many, many bikes until now...
    1963 Harley 175cc Scat - 1st motorcycle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast